28 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

I'll be looking at tyres next week and im curious as to what everyone else is using? and what they cost the tyre dimensons for the rim are 17x215x45

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#2 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

My current ones are Bridgstone Potenza re050A's found them to be an excellent tyre but a bit pricey. Ive had Falkens before and they were quite alright also. My wifes car has Hankook Ventus Sport's and I quite like them also. My new tyres (215/40/18's next week) are Pirelli P Zero nero's. Supposed to be very good, we'll see. :D

OEM+

#3 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:21 PM

bridgestone 215/45/17 re50a next time i will be us marangoni's

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#4 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:58 AM

Kenda's $149 each....cheap but havent had any issues so far and been drving on them a year

#5 Joe

Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

dunlop sport sp 9000...very nice tyre :) had them on my 17s and now on my 18s as well

#6 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

Thanks guys i should be having a look tomorrow or wednesday. My mate has kenda's on his van and they seem pretty good

#7 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

had a look around today, wont be buying till wedneday or next week unfortunatly, but i found a place that has 3 possible 4 bridgestone potenza's with 80-90% tread for $66 each fitted hopefully he can find the 4th!! not as good as new tyres i know but compared to shitty chinese brands i recon they should be a steal

#8 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

Well at that price - I'd take em' IF they do have as much tread as that. But I'm not sure if I'd buy Bridgestones new again. I have RE001's and the tread wear is appauling. That said - the grip is excellent and it is particularly good in the wet. Its just the tread wear... Keep us informed :)

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#9 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

thats the price you pay for grip.....cheap tyres no grip and long wearing hard rubber no grip, remember what sticks you to the road and dont ever compromise your or other people lives by buying shit tyres....shane

Well at that price - I'd take em' IF they do have as much tread as that.

But I'm not sure if I'd buy Bridgestones new again. I have RE001's and the tread wear is appauling. That said - the grip is excellent and it is particularly good in the wet. Its just the tread wear...

Keep us informed :)

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#10 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

thats the price you pay for grip.....cheap tyres no grip and long wearing hard rubber no grip, remember what sticks you to the road and dont ever compromise your or other people lives by buying shit tyres....shane

I agree. And I won't be buying any tyre with less grip than what I've got now (and I've got a lot). I'll always look to upgrade and I don't mine paying that extra dollar for the driving pleasure and safety benefits I get out of it.

BUT I wasn't expecting SUCH bad tread wear. RE001's are not semi-slicks. Thats why I'm surprised by the tread wear. I've heard the Bridgestones tend to have higher wear. Have to do the research before buying.

#11 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

The potenzas on my car currently i bought s/h with 85% tread. They lasted me over 30k so if you can get them for that price jump on them! Theyre a good tyre.

OEM+

#12 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

Shiv maybe you got a bad set, or you drive to hard :P Really hope he has 4 tyres if not would i bet better to get a matching pair for the rear or run the potenza and another tyres that would have similer tread pattern? either way i'll grab the other potenza, it'll make a good spare atleast

#13 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

I'd never buy second hand tyres. Purely due to the fact that you don't know their history. Bob Jane are doing MAXXIS MAV1 215/45/17's for $159 at the moment. Apparently these tyres aren't too bad. Anyone have any experience with these?

#14 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

lol, I was waiting for someone to say that :P Inevitably it does get driven harder due to most of its kms being in stop-start traffic and in and around the tight suburbs. If he doesn't have 4th tyre, get a matching pair for the rear otherwise it'll be on your mind all the time, lol. I'm sure you'll be able to locate used Potenza's as they're so popular, particularly on new cars. Its just a case of if someone will sell you only ONE.

#15 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

I'd never buy second hand tyres. Purely due to the fact that you don't know their history.

Its pretty easy to check them over to make sure theyre all good. Nothing really to hide on a set of tyes.

OEM+

#16 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

I'd never buy second hand tyres. Purely due to the fact that you don't know their history.

Bob Jane are doing MAXXIS MAV1 215/45/17's for $159 at the moment. Apparently these tyres aren't too bad. Anyone have any experience with these?

I see your point, but its easy to visually check for any defects in the tyre. EDIT: just saw CRUISN's post

lol, I was waiting for someone to say that :P Inevitably it does get driven harder due to most of its kms being in stop-start traffic and in and around the tight suburbs.

If he doesn't have 4th tyre, get a matching pair for the rear otherwise it'll be on your mind all the time, lol. I'm sure you'll be able to locate used Potenza's as they're so popular, particularly on new cars. Its just a case of if someone will sell you only ONE.

haha, he has some goodyears but im unsure of what as i saw the potenza's...

#17 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

Just a quick question as i've been sticky beaking around i found people with 17x7" rims ,which is what my size is running 205 witdth, the guy i got them off said he had 215s on them, what would be the better size to run? i just assumed only 215s would fit on. It seems everybody here with 17s in running 215s, i just wanna make sure i gets it right ;)

#18 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

Pretty much standard size for Subaru 17's is 215's. Some do come in 205, but 215 = more rubber on the road. :)

OEM+

#19 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

Thanks Mark. Hopefully tomorrow or wednesday :D

#20 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

You might actually get away with 225's also. depends how wide you want them I guess. 215's will be the best bet though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users