Swap EJ20 to EJ25 help

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Modding cars and BIG car audio.

Currently converting a Subaru Impreza RX from an EJ20 to an EJ25 Turbo (Maybe Twin Turbo) and im going to finish it off with a complete Kicker system! Im thinking 4 Kicker 15" L7 solos with lost of splits and amps

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hey guys! First and formost im new to Subarus and after a bit of info. I just bought a 98 RX wagon and after a week of owning it the motor sh** itself (fail not happy) i have a mate that has an EJ25 motor that he'd sell to me and i wanted to know if there is a great deal of difference between the 2 other than the .5L? How much would i have to change to get the car running again with the EJ25 i guess is my question? Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

Cheer!

#2 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

welcome to SC mate.

if your cars a 98 RX (is it a gen 2 or gen 3?) it should already have a EJ25

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#3 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

unless its am impreza?

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#4 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

ah yeah, Liberty driver through and through here ;)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#5 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Currently converting a Subaru Impreza RX from an EJ20 to an EJ25 Turbo (Maybe Twin Turbo) and im going to finish it off with a complete Kicker system! Im thinking 4 Kicker 15" L7 solos with lost of splits and amps

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks aekOne! Yeah sorry should have mentioned its an impreza RX 2.0L with a stuffed motor, what i really need to know is do i need to change the gearbox and everything in the engine bay or is it as simple as dropping it in to the car and connecting everything.

#6 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

There wouldn't be any need to change the gearbox. Your biggest issue would be the ecu, without a tune there's a good chance you'll blow the 2.5 too.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#7 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

would a 2.5 ecu go into my rx?

#8 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

There was a young bloke that put a 2.5 in his gx and he just swapped the motor. But I don't know what happened to it!

Posted Image

#9 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

should be able to put a gen 3 RX ecu into a 98 on RX impreza, where are you located?

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#10 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

2.5L are 8 bolt mount arent the 2L 4bolt? someone correct me if im wrong...
Posted Image

#11 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

Im in albury nsw

#12 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

2.5L are 8 bolt mount arent the 2L 4bolt? someone correct me if im wrong...

8 bolt block and a 4 bolt gearbox bolt together no problems.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#13 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

8 bolt block and a 4 bolt gearbox bolt together no problems.

Off memory one bolt is different the 4bolt had a stud to the starter on the 2.5L it didn't...
Posted Image

#14 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

I believe its an issue using an 8 bolt box with a 4 bolt block, but you definitely don't have to do anything the other way around.

#15 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

Off memory one bolt is different the 4bolt had a stud to the starter on the 2.5L it didn't...

I believe its an issue using an 8 bolt box with a 4 bolt block, but you definitely don't have to do anything the other way around.

It's no issue. You tap a thread in the bolt hole and use a bolt. OR wind a stud in. OR drill the back of the bellhousing slightly to accept a bolt head and push it through from behind.

There's plenty of solutions.
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#16 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

What kinda ej25 is it? The dohc one from the gen2 RX liberty or a sohc one from a gen3 liberty/outback/impreza rs ?

I wonder if he could use the ej25 long motor and all the ej20 manifold, sensors etc.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#17 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

It's no issue. You tap a thread in the bolt hole and use a bolt. OR wind a stud in. OR drill the back of the bellhousing slightly to accept a bolt head and push it through from behind.

There's plenty of solutions.

Sorry, I didn't mean issue as in "shit, this thing ain't gunna fit", but rather it's more effort than just bolting everything back together the same way you took it apart.

#18 Dizi86

Dizi86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

1998 SUBARU LIBERTY MOTOR. EJ25 ENGINE # 253090. Thats all the info i got i hope this helps

Oh and its a DOHC

#19 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean issue as in "shit, this thing ain't gunna fit", but rather it's more effort than just bolting everything back together the same way you took it apart.

Yeah, all good my post was a bit blunt (pre-coffee on a monday blergh)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#20 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

1998 SUBARU LIBERTY MOTOR. EJ25 ENGINE # 253090. Thats all the info i got i hope this helps

Oh and its a DOHC

Frying pan into the fire mate.

That's a Gen2 RX motor, which are are well known for blowing head gaskets. If you were going to bother spending the time and money converting, go for a Gen3 varient. the last thing you want is for the "new" engine to pop not long after you've finished installing everything.

Just a thought... what happened to the EJ20? If it's just the head blown, wouldn't that be a cheaper, less intensive and more reliable fix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users