• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hi all. So I got my B4 serviced at the start of the week and ever since I got it back it has been having trouble idling at startup. If I have the air con on it makes it worse and when it is doing this the engine check light also comes on. If I give it a few revs it seems to come good and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary once I'm driving and everything is warmed up.

I'll be giving the mechanic a call today but I don't want to have to take it back there if I don't have to because it's a bit out of the way. The only reason I go there is because they're supposed to be a very good Subaru mechanic.

It was an intermediate service and they just did an oil change, check fluids etc. They did put some injector cleaner through though. Could this have fouled up my spark plugs if there was a bit of gunk built up in the fuel system? Any other suggestions? Do these engines have an iacv or similar for controlling revs if there is higher electrical load? Turning the lights on made it cough and splutter too. ta

#2 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Seems like an Iacv. Mine does it sometimes, and its the code it throws.

There's a thread on here telling you how to check engine codes, it may be worth checking them to see what its telling you with the Check Engine Light.

Posted Image

#3 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Thanks Adam. The CEL doesn't stay on though. Would this mean there is still I code? I'll find the thread and give that a go on the weekend though.

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Yes, Whenever the CEL comes on I'm pretty sure it stores a code

Posted Image

#5 Octane

Octane

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

I recently had a problem with mine. Fuel economy had gradually gotten worse, and after doing an oil top-up and an engine de-grease, the idle wouldn't stabilize. Instead, it was hunting up and down between 400 and 1500rpm. It eventually got worse, to the point that it'd start fine, go to 1500rpm for a few seconds, then instantly stall. I was able to keep the motor kicking over at about 400rpm it I furiously pumped the throttle.

I checked the idle air control valve, and it seemed to adjust the idle as expected during that first few seconds before it stalled, so I ruled that out.

I then replaced the MAF sensor, and this fixed the problem. Car purrs like a kitten now and it using a lot less fuel.

#6 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Check vac lines especially to FPR

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#7 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

Check the ducting that runs between the air mass sensor and the trottle body.

Codes?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#8 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the further suggestions guys. I checked the codes on the weekend. It had code 15. Something to do with the Cam angle sensor? OBD2 codes website said symptoms would be poor idle on start so that kind of matches.

That was checking manually. When I checked using my ezyflash pro it said there wasn't any codes currently.

I've also found that if I have the air con on and I'm driving around town at 60 the engine light will flash everytime the compressor or fan kicks in I think.

#9 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hi Guys. Any other suggestions? I ended up taking it to a mechanic who said to replace the Cam Position Sensor. I went and bought this myself and just replaced it then. No difference. I haven't reset the ECU yet but it is still only throwing the code 15.

It's mainly a problem when running the air con.

#10 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Bumping this up from the depths. So I finally got my car to my usual mechanic for its usual service. The problem has been bareable in the mean time. I was describing the problem to the guy who receives the keys. He was going to plug in the scan tool while I was there but as soon as I said that I'd replaced the cam angle sensor he knew the problem and said it was the alternator needing a rebuild.

He said that if the voltage is dropping below 10V the charge error code will be thrown, but if it is dropping to between 10V and 12V it will throw the Cam Angle Sensor code. They had this on one years ago and said they were scratching their heads for ages. Since then though they've had a few come in with the same thing and all been fixed this way.

So it's not fixed yet but he was pretty sure this was it so I'll pull it off and take it somewhere to be rebuilt as soon as I can and report back.

#11 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Nice to see an outcome posted. :)

Internet points awarded.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#12 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

yay internet points. So I got a new alternator put in today. $330 inclusive. He said there was AC getting onto the line which I thought could probably be causing the issue with the Cam Angle Sensor signal getting noise induced onto its line hence causing the seemingly unrelated code. Anyway, so far it seems to be fixed.

#13 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My Subaru, My Girl and sport!

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:57 AM

bumping this up from the depths again...

my B4 decided to play up the day after her test drive by the new owner... when he came back to pick it up... CEL lumpy idle.. not good...

anyways got it scanned and i forget the codes... but it was Crank angle and low voltage input injector 3... she was running on 3cyl when the lights or any draw on the (brand new that morning) was on... but would drive fine if the revs were over 2k and had no elect on....

second hand alternator going in tomorrow hopefully... and buyer will come back if it sorts it out...

and who said cars arent alive!!!

1st 1990 Nissan Pulsar Q. What a rocket!
2nd: Gen 2 RX... Loved and lost...
3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink
5th: More civilized now... with a Heritage Wagon... now gone...
6th Mitsubishi KJ Verada..."its nothing like a suby" now gone...
7th: 2002 B4 Liberty TT....

8th: MY04 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Pack Wagon

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com
582620_371706622901614_542168895_n.jpg

#14 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:38 AM

Hmmmm I have this code too.

Might swap alternators tomorrow too.  

However I had the cam position sensor wires checked at the ecu and only one had a signal so I dare say I'll be wasting my time..... but it can't hurt I suppose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users