←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Scotty's new ride

bigboyscottyb's Photo bigboyscottyb 01 Sep 2012

Yer possibly... Still a cheap car even after work being done

BigWillieStyles's Photo BigWillieStyles 01 Sep 2012

Well personally I have always been an outback fan, my mum bought a 2.5l in 2002 and I learnt to drive on it, and dad bought a gen4 h6, so combine the great look of the gen3 (chunky body look with the wider guards) and the quality of the h6 engine (I've never been a fan of any n/a engines always had Subaru turbo until I drove an h6) and here you have what I bought... Plus not a fan of 2 tone so pearl white it was

I don't see it as much of a hassle doing the delift really, I managed to pick up all the parts (minus coilovers) for $150 plus a 6pack so not overly expensive... Plus with the price that gen3's are going for anyone who is after a wagon is crazy not to go that way

I actually quite like the Outback front bumper and other trim when they are lowered.

Beckers's Photo Beckers 01 Sep 2012

I actually quite like the Outback front bumper and other trim when they are lowered.

+1

Shiv's Photo Shiv 01 Sep 2012

There is something very appealing about lowered Outbacks. I think its to do with the fact that they look great with those big fat wheel arches filled in.

Having obviously driven your dads Gen4 H6, what are your observations of the simpler Gen3 H6 without all the bells and whistles?

I'm still well impressed with the gen3 obviously not as much power and torque as the gen4, but still has get up and go, the throttle responce is heaps better (cable vs electronic throttle bodies) interior trim is heaps better without suede in the seats, much more family friendly...stereo is shit (soon to be a full Macintosh system)

Apart from those few things there isn't really a massive difference, the gen4 is just a lot more luxurious but the seats are so uncomfortable...

Filling the phat guards with big 18's or 19's is very appealing too... Just need to find wheels, suggestions..?

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 01 Sep 2012

Round ones :)

Nice ride Scotty! I reckon something black with lotsa spokes would look good. You should panda it and vinyl black the cladding

Edit: Needs bigger wing and more handle bar

Shiv's Photo Shiv 01 Sep 2012

I'm still well impressed with the gen3 obviously not as much power and torque as the gen4, but still has get up and go, the throttle responce is heaps better (cable vs electronic throttle bodies) interior trim is heaps better without suede in the seats, much more family friendly...stereo is shit (soon to be a full Macintosh system)

Apart from those few things there isn't really a massive difference, the gen4 is just a lot more luxurious but the seats are so uncomfortable...

Filling the phat guards with big 18's or 19's is very appealing too... Just need to find wheels, suggestions..?

I tend to agree with you there, although I found the seats to be okay in the Gen4. For me the biggest difference is the gearbox. Put simply - the 5-speed is intelligent, whereas the 4-speed is not.

Wheels? Spend some time checking out the Builds & Projects section. This site has heaps of lowered OBK's (both Gen2 and Gen3) with wheels in all sizes, to give you some ideas. My personal favourite is Steve's Enkie's:

Posted Image

The black on white looks good. But each to their own.

Yer the box is alright see not ever having owned an auto before I can't really comment too much on that, cause my work car is a 6 speed auto... Will be going to a 5speed manual soon hopefully

Jim your full of wisdom mate, I was looking at square wheels but I think I might take your advice about round ones... Shame Rota doesn't make many 19's only the grid, but its been done... Thinking about 18x9 *35 matt black Rota gforce...

Cam.'s Photo Cam. 01 Sep 2012

Sounds good mate! 19's would be way to big anyway.

18x9's would be a real nice fit as 18x9.5 +38's are pretty darn close even with rolled guards.

bigboyscottyb's Photo bigboyscottyb 02 Sep 2012

bought this, cause its rare and was cheap
Posted Image

and considering these rims either matt black or gunmetal.. thoughts..?
Posted Image

aekOne's Photo aekOne 02 Sep 2012

gun metal would look good i reckon

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 03 Sep 2012

Nice bumper cover Scotty, i do like those. Have you checked out the rims that Ultrex have? They look similar to that and are pretty well priced!

BigWillieStyles's Photo BigWillieStyles 04 Sep 2012

I like the blitzen style bumper cover. They are quite hard to come by.

The rims you have chosen are quite nice. With those massive wheel arches, lowish offset for the win!

bigboyscottyb's Photo bigboyscottyb 11 Sep 2012

garnish cover has turned up, wheels on order, just need to pick up steering coloum and alk from Zach and order coilovers and delift will be going ahead..

engine is out and at Subaru and no updates after nearly 10days... so not looking promising

Guest_KONG_* 11 Sep 2012

That garnish is Posted Image'ing nice mate! Good find.

Gunmetal for the rims.

bobbyjimmy's Photo bobbyjimmy 12 Sep 2012

Instead of swapping the column you can also put in a Bugeye STi (or WRX) rack and the matching coupling/knuckle - well, that's what I did.

bigboyscottyb's Photo bigboyscottyb 12 Sep 2012

Well firstly rims are different to the ones in the thread, not going for stance cause its a trend, want something useful, also rims are matt black

What's the benefit of a rack change, aren't the outback ones a 2.7 anyways (haven't even looked) the change will be easy cause I have no engine so I can get into the engine bay for a change

bigboyscottyb's Photo bigboyscottyb 27 Sep 2012

Will have new pics over the weekend, delift has started, just need last 2 brackets and it will be done... Then engine comes back around 15th of next month

Matt's Photo Matt 27 Sep 2012

Didnt think the racks were 2.7? Woulda thought theyd be the same as most gen3's which is 3.something

Ive just upgraded to a quickrack off an RA on my gen3 and its sooo much better now...not as twitchy as i thought itd be but heaps better

bigboyscottyb's Photo bigboyscottyb 29 Sep 2012

delift complete, 18's fitted

apologies for the shit pics

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image