←  Electrical/Electronics

Suby Club

»

Just need some suggestions about front spe...

BigWillieStyles's Photo BigWillieStyles 08 Sep 2012

Hello all,

I need some assistance on deciding on some front speakers. I have noticed that several members have gone with coaixals to replace their components. Does this mean that the factory tweeters are not used?

I am interested in replacing my factory speakers in the doors with some component speakers (interested in these speakers ---> http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649 ). I dont really want to muck around with crossovers and was wondering if any members have just installed components without crossovers and just retained the factory tweeters? I may run these speakers off an amp in the future, but would like then powered straight from the HU for a while.

BTW, I found a guy in the US making custom PVC spacers to fit various Subaru's.

Thanks

William

Jordan's Photo Jordan 08 Sep 2012

Sound quality from these are amazing, and you could probably get them cheaper than JB RRP

http://www.jbhifi.co...lits-sku-96662/

WALKER's Photo WALKER 08 Sep 2012

I went with Clarion 6.5" (55 RMS) Splits in front and coaxial in the rear., they do a great job for everyday listening.
Really happy with them.

BTW you don't need custom spacers just go to the audio shop like autobarn and grab a MDF pair for 5 bucks. (I only required to use them in front)

May I recommend do it all at once.. I didn't i highly regret it.

thatTTguy's Photo thatTTguy 08 Sep 2012

Can't exactly remember when I did my B4 if the front tweaters run from an external crossover or one on the back of them, but if you want to use them hook them up to the back of the coaxaials for extra tweet.
Have you listend to the stock speakers from your new HU? They definitely aren't bad, and if your planning on splits later on from an amp, just stick with the stockies for now. I currently have my stocks just hooked up to an amp and they kill it!

Octane's Photo Octane 08 Sep 2012

Check out Jaycar's 'Response' line of speakers. They're pretty much regarded as best bang for buck speakers around and will perform as good as the more expensive branded speakers.

Also, I might add, tweets will make a bigger difference to sound quality than the woofs as your ears are more sensitive to the higher frequencies, so I don't really think its worth upgrading one without the other.

Cam.'s Photo Cam. 08 Sep 2012

Stick with components! It's simple.

Just get a brand with a small tweeter so you can mount it in the factory location ;)

simon's Photo simon 08 Sep 2012

Stick with components! It's simple.

Just get a brand with a small tweeter so you can mount it in the factory location ;)

This. I'm going to be doing the same very shortly, as one of my fronts speakers blew today...........balls

BigWillieStyles's Photo BigWillieStyles 17 Sep 2012

I have had a hard time getting my head around the Component speaker install with the crossovers. Ended up getting some Pioneer components that have built inline capacitors (bass blockers). I also bought a Jigsaw and cut out some custom spacers using my factory speaker as a template. Worked well.

I tried to install the speakers tonight and found it really hard work. I did multiple trips to Bunnings, plus I dont have a garage so had to work in the street in the dark and it started raining... :( In the end I got one side in.

I used some door foam/sealer to seal the speaker and to attempt to prevent vibrations. I also managed to rip out the plastic connector on the speaker and soldered some new speaker wires on. This means that I didnt have to butcher any of the stock wiring and I could just clip the speaker connection onto the factory wiring to the HU.

Im not using an amp, and having only done one side while the other side has the factory speakers, I am able to hear the differences of the speakers. The new speakers are much more clearer and at higher volumes where the factory speakers are starting to distort, the Pioneers are still clear. However, their isnt as much bass as I would have liked. I might try and play around with the setup over the next day or so. A new headunit will probably also offer a bit more power for bass, as would an amp.

Jberg89's Photo Jberg89 18 Sep 2012

I recently installed a set of JL Audio C2600's in my impreza....awesome speakers i wouldnt go anything else now i have these, they have impressed and further impressed. I did the exact same procedure as you with a jig saw and some timber and used factory bracket as a template came up good.. the problem i have is the magnet at the back of my speakers is quite deep and so my window rubs on it when it all the way down....how did you seal your door with the foam????

BigWillieStyles's Photo BigWillieStyles 18 Sep 2012

I was worried about the magnet hitting the window but the mdf wood I used was quite thick (12mm). This gave the speaker plenty of clearance at the back but an extra couple of mm would have caused issues with the door trim.

I saw on a few car speaker installs on the web that they used something to seal between the speaker and the door itself to prevent vibrations. Im not sure it was entirely necessary but some door sealer worked just fine (see the top pic) and was only a couple of dollars from bunnings.

TSG's Photo TSG 06 Nov 2013

Now that I have the car running better I'm going to fix this issue. I'm liking the look of a set of Clarion 55w RMS components at Autobarn, I think they may be the same ones WALKER used. Will leave the factory tweeters and woofer in place, I just want to change the door speakers. As I understand I'll need MDF spacers? I've never done sound deadening either... wondering if that's worthwhile. I think I have some of that door sealer foam already.. Quite happy with the rest of the system, but I blew my drivers side a while back so have it tuned to the rear lol.

BMX013's Photo BMX013 03 Jan 2014

I recently installed a set of JL Audio C2600's in my impreza....awesome speakers i wouldnt go anything else now i have these, they have impressed and further impressed. I did the exact same procedure as you with a jig saw and some timber and used factory bracket as a template came up good.. the problem i have is the magnet at the back of my speakers is quite deep and so my window rubs on it when it all the way down....how did you seal your door with the foam????

i run the jl c5-650 splits front and rear and love them (yes i cut the metal work out in rear door to fit em) 
will never run anything but them 

these have a rediculous magnet on em, same with my kicker rs56.2 splits.
i put the mdf speaker spacers in the front doors for em, as for sealing the foam dont worry too much about it, it doesnt do that much, the speakers have a nice first seam on the mdf spacers and if you really worry put some sikkaflex behind the spacer to seal to door frame but wont do much difference

however bang for buck speakers in coaxial i always say the kicker ds-60 
the power you can throw at them and they still have a rubber speaker surround so they will last and not distort (alot of speakers pioneer incl have changed to synthetic surrounds which dont last as they crease when the speaker cone pulls in)