• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

So on the weekend the MRS bought a brand new VW Polo Comfortline TSI DSG...

After looking and visiting 4 different dealerships around Sydney for the past month and dealing with a few arrogant salesman along the way we finally purchased on weekend a 5dr MY12.5 Candy White Polo Comfortline TSI DGS with Comfort Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Floor Mats, Slimline Weather Shields and iPod adapter for what I think is a steal of a price $22500 drive away ($2000 worth of extras)!

Pick it up in 10 days from Barloworld Five Dock! We had a choice with one already at the dealership or one that is at Particks holding yard. The one at the dealership had a mark on the dash so we chose the one in the holding yard.

Now a mixture of good and bad news... Barloworld Five Dock was our first choice of dealerships to visit as it was local and won VW dealer of the year... First visit wasnt the best... Spent 20-30mins looking and not one person came up to see if they could help so we left... Drove to Denlo Parramatta, same thing happened and we thought WTF this a joke??? We were gonna give up on looking at VW but thought we will try again in a few weeks it was only the beginning of the month and usually end of month they push for sales...

We were quite shocked with how bad some of these dealerships treat their customers. Especially Paul Wakeling VW, the salesman was great, but his manager couldnt be more arrogant and rude.

This was our 3rd trip to a dealership so we knew what we wanted and knew what we wanted to spend, but geez they just didnt not want to budge off the price they gave us, $24700 drive away and that wasnt even with the rear sensors. I told them you have this advertised on carsales for $24990 and all you take off is $300? His response "Guaranteed the lowest price in Sydney, good luck getting one for $22K" I laughed so hard and you expect us to come up to your price but you wont even meet us half way... He had nothing to say so we kindly told him thanks for wasting our time and left.

Next day went to Barloworld Mascot, nothing instock to test drive, so we thought we'd give Barloworld Five Dock a go again. Within 2mins of walking we got served! FINALLY! Spoke to a very friendly Sean, went over the car with us then took it for a test drive. As this was for the MRS she had the honours to drive first.

She was very happy but of coarse when shes use to driving those old Holden Cruze 4WD.

Now it was my turn, I was quite shocked how much up and go it had for a little 1.2T even though how much go my Forester has... 0-60 was good, after that theres a flat spot n starts to runs out of puff

Handled well too was quite solid and sharp through corners... I was happy and so was the boss. Went back to the dealership to discuss packages and extras, by this time it was already 5pm and the manager had left for the day so no deals could be made and he said he would call on Monday.

Did we get a call? No. Waited 2 weeks as werent in a rush and still nothing. So spoke to someone at work about wtf was going on (We do the customs broking for VW, Skoda, Audi, Hyundai) He said I ring and ask for the general manager and explain wtf was goin on... I was straight up with him and told him how much hassle it has been for us and he apologized and said he will help us out. Straight off the bat he gave us an offer of $22990, told him $22K and he said $22500...We were happy with that! That was nearly $5000 off RRP including all the extras... The car itself before all on road costs is about $21K so big savings

I tried to push the mrs to get the sports pack (17"s, lowered sports suspension, fog lights) as well for an extra $1700 but she said no... I bet in 6 months time shes gonna want rims and lower...

Will post up pics when the car arrives...

PS... PCD is the same as Subaru...

#2 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

this is really funny as I have just gone through exactly the same thing with sydney VW dealers, they were all fkn hopeless and I ended up going to my local dealer (still not 100% service but a lot better than sydney).

sutherland - no good
paul wakeling - no good
moss vale - no good
barlow world mascot - said 12month wait and FULL rrp. massive bitch.

MY07 GT spec B

#3 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Nice.
You'll love the VW. Good bit of kit they are and great value for money.

#4 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

It's because you look poor.

Dress up a bit, and perhaps they'll pay more attention?

#5 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

^^
I knew a bloke once, very wealthy and wanted to buy a new car for himself and his missus. He was painting his house one weekend and during a break went down to the BMW dealership, in his paint spattered work clothes.
They refused to serve him.

He then went to Mercedes, where they gladly served him despite his homeless dirty look, where he then bought an S500 for him and a CLK320 for her. Cash.

#6 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Haha we did that to see if it mad a difference... Suprisingly it worked

However we went down to Audi Five Dock the first day we went looking dressed pretty casual, as soon a we walked in, 5mins later we were test driving an Audi A1 :sarcastic: They however are overpriced but nice to drive

If we got the Audi, we would have got 3 yrs free servicing, pick up n drop off of vehicle, loaner car, free road side service, and a few other special benifits through our corporate discount...

#7 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

One of Dads business partners has a similar story, Chris.

Waited and waited at the BMW dealership for service and never got any - was probably dressed in his suit.

Drove down the hill and bought a brand new Audi.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#8 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

+1 for the clothing thing.

I went to Subaru to drive the new STi at the time, dressed in my normal attire (Shorts and thongs) and no service whatsoever. Refused to let me take the car for a drive.

Went back a few days later all suited up in my NAB gear, and salesmen were jumping over themselves to get to me. Ended up going on a solo testdrive for 2 hours or so, thrashing the absolute daylights out of it.

Congrats on the purchase Chris. I did get your text message the other day about tinting too mate. Will have to be after MDSC.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#9 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

When we were at Audi, the salesman (was married and only 24 with 2 kids) said majority of dealerships pick and choose based on judging a book by its cover... Hes also worked for Suzuki and Mercedes and he said service difference is so dramatic between the low-mid end companys and the high end... The high-end germans see it as doesnt matter what the person looks like, its a sale... Theyve had people in gym clothes goin for a runand end up stopping to look at a car, end up taking one for a spin then drive it home the next day...

If anything this time round the poor service worked in our favour and got a great price direct from the GM....

#10 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Well being that I work in a large dealership, your story comes as no surprise.
To be honest, there isn't much mark up in new cars in many manufacturers. There is a lot of margin in aftermarket care and accessories.

However, I wish I didn't have to tell you this but VW has the largest warranty claims within our dealership.

I think people in general give to much accolades or respect to a salesman, remember they have no qualifications so don't be offended if they don't give you attention.

I know many times Sydney Dealerships selling the car below cost, because they know they'll make money on the accessories, aftermarket and service.

Posted Image

#11 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Haha we did that to see if it mad a difference... Suprisingly it worked

However we went down to Audi Five Dock the first day we went looking dressed pretty casual, as soon a we walked in, 5mins later we were test driving an Audi A1 :sarcastic: They however are overpriced but nice to drive

If we got the Audi, we would have got 3 yrs free servicing, pick up n drop off of vehicle, loaner car, free road side service, and a few other special benifits through our corporate discount...

I'm sure you will be very happy with the VW. Just one thing I don't like about VW, Spare parts that cost more than Subi parts.
I got a mate that is a service advisor @ an Audi dealer, Sit down now $220.00 per hour for a service.

#12 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

I think people in general give to much accolades or respect to a salesman, remember they have no qualifications so don't be offended if they don't give you attention.

Quote of the week.

Beers on me next time we cross paths.

#13 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

You will be happy with the VW. My parents have had about four diesel Golfs and my first car was a Mk1 Diesel Golf :) They hold their value really well and for the 118kw, they have a amazing low down torque thanks to the little turbo.

#14 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

Just go a phone call from the dealership... Car is already ready to be picked up... Thanks for the notice... Dealerships and their shenanigans

#15 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Just go a phone call from the dealership... Car is already ready to be picked up... Thanks for the notice... Dealerships and their shenanigans

they are great at it.

mum and dad recently bought a brand new toyota corolla. the pick up got set and then pushed back to a later date 3 times before we finally took ownership of the car. day we went to pick it up was the shoddiest detailing job ive ever seen in my life. i still think i could train a gorilla to detail a car better than what these guys did.

had we not been in a rush to actually get somewhere, i would have told them to do it again. in saying that though they probably wouldnt have done any better at it.

#16 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

they are great at it.

mum and dad recently bought a brand new toyota corolla. the pick up got set and then pushed back to a later date 3 times before we finally took ownership of the car. day we went to pick it up was the shoddiest detailing job ive ever seen in my life. i still think i could train a gorilla to detail a car better than what these guys did.

had we not been in a rush to actually get somewhere, i would have told them to do it again. in saying that though they probably wouldnt have done any better at it.

I have told them not to detail the car AT ALL, my car is being Opticoated as soon as I get it and the guys at brightshine said all the dealers will do is hose and wipe off with an old rag and swirl the bejesus out of it!

MY07 GT spec B

#17 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

I have told them not to detail the car AT ALL, my car is being Opticoated as soon as I get it and the guys at brightshine said all the dealers will do is hose and wipe off with an old rag and swirl the bejesus out of it!

Not entirely true, but still a good idea.

If your delivery date ever gets pushed back then the chances are your car has been sold to someone else who is either more important or stamped their feet.

Posted Image

#18 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Not entirely true, but still a good idea.

If your delivery date ever gets pushed back then the chances are your car has been sold to someone else who is either more important or stamped their feet.

Or it's been damaged.

#19 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

I will tell them not to touch it when I speak to them next... If there is any swirls in the paint I will be pushing them to get detailled properly...

How much is that Opti-Coat worth?

#20 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

http://www.optimumca.../opti-coat.html

i am getting frank from brightshine to do mine: http://www.brightshinemobile.com/

apparently VW paint is super hard (compared to jap cars) so is much harder to get swirl marks out of.

MY07 GT spec B

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Polo, VW, German, Turbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users