Photo

QLD drivers beware! Police with new radar guns.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 01lib

01lib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hey fellow QLD'ers

Just a heads up beware police are 'trialling' new radar guns around the state and sadly I ended up with a fine in the mail. I wasn't doing anything stupid I was coming down a steep hill in a 50km/h area and instead of riding the brakes I just rolled down and got pinned doing 60km/h. Long story short is as I was coming down this hill I saw a police officer sitting in a White VW Gti Golf unmarked with a radar gun as I went past. We both eyeballed each other as I went past but I assumed I wasn't speeding enough for the officer to worry. Anyway read this article I came across these must be the new radar guns floating round.

http://www.policespe...ue-tickets.html

Ben.

#2 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Are they allowed to get you on hills?

In NSW, I'm fairly sure there are strict regulations which prohibit that sort of thing. Either way, that's a damn shame for you. Money best spent elsewhere.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#3 01lib

01lib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yeah it was a huge hill and had several cars behind me so I just rolled down. I have seen speed cameras in that area before but this guy was up on someones nature strip in his unmarked car. And I knew I was speeding but thought it wasn't enough that the cop was going to bother. Then I had a lovely letter in the mail. Quite frustrating really going to have to be careful everywhere now if all cops end up with these fancy radar guns.

#4 ReDMaN_82

ReDMaN_82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Hey Shiv,

Not sure if its illegal but i got pinned going down a hill (same as 01lib) just rolling and i even had a car go past me. Was informed it was my bad luck when i explained my situation. the Power tripper just told me dont like it take it to court. Figured i would since i had a clean record for 11 years and asked that the audio/video from the police car be viewed.

Fine dropped.. Dont know if its the hill or the combo that my record and the fact cars were passing me had anything to do with it.

#5 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hey Shiv,

Not sure if its illegal but i got pinned going down a hill (same as 01lib) just rolling and i even had a car go past me. Was informed it was my bad luck when i explained my situation. the Power tripper just told me dont like it take it to court. Figured i would since i had a clean record for 11 years and asked that the audio/video from the police car be viewed.

Fine dropped.. Dont know if its the hill or the combo that my record and the fact cars were passing me had anything to do with it.

Or it could be that you drive an Outback :P

But nah thats a good outcome for you though a waste of your time.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#6 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

They can get you for speeding anywhere - up a hill, down a hill, driving off a cliff.
Its's still speeding.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#7 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hi,

What BJ said. The only ACTUAL governance in WA is that the multinova needs to be set up at least 10m from the speed interval sign.

Cheers,
Nik

(Haha. BJ!)

#8 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

Are they allowed to get you on hills?

In NSW, I'm fairly sure there are strict regulations which prohibit that sort of thing. Either way, that's a damn shame for you. Money best spent elsewhere.

I got nicked "rolling" 70kms down Flat Rock Drive in Narremburn in a 60 zone (that was probably 12+ years ago but I assume they can still pin you)

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#9 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:56 AM

I also got done for 10 over rolling down a hill in Canberra - My fault though, if I hadn't been looking at the GPS I would have seen them and braked in time.

It seems in the ACT we have it easy though, the speed vans are marked and there is a good few seconds between when they see you and when they take the photo. I know a person* who has been doing 50 over, seen the van, hit the anchors and cruised on by more than once.

The only other times I have been done have been actual police men with radar guns, but that is nowhere near as common here.

*person is not me

#10 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My Subaru, My Girl and sport!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

I went back home to QLD for my birthday last year and i was pinned by a copper who told me the same dont like it take it to court... which was hard seeing as i was going to be back home WA in 2 days!

They say they spotted me on a camera, and when i asked for proof they didnt like it...

amongst other things they waved me and another car over.. around the corner from where this magical camera had been... ( i didnt even see it) and they let the othe car go.. .after they had spotted my WA Liscence... they also wrote down i was in a corrolla Sedan, when i was clearly in a Corolla hatch (its was a hire car ok!!)

but there was no way they were going to budge on it... and the copper was the most arrogant Posted Image i have ever met... i am a press photographer, and have a lot to do with cops... and i have never met one as arrogant as him... the fact that he was arrogant and wearing shorts and white teachers socks made me see red, i told him that he looked like a clown in his outfit and he was the perfect ambassador for revenue raising and giving qld police a good name... lol!

1st 1990 Nissan Pulsar Q. What a rocket!
2nd: Gen 2 RX... Loved and lost...
3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink
5th: More civilized now... with a Heritage Wagon... now gone...
6th Mitsubishi KJ Verada..."its nothing like a suby" now gone...
7th: 2002 B4 Liberty TT....

8th: MY04 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Pack Wagon

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com
582620_371706622901614_542168895_n.jpg

#11 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi,

arrogant and wearing shorts and white teachers socks made me see red, i told him that he looked like a clown in his outfit

:SHOCK:

!

Cheers,
Nik

#12 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

LOL.. last cop i gave lip to locked me in a cell for 6 hours.. I was pissed tho lol..

#13 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My Subaru, My Girl and sport!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

ha-ha i am not scared of cops.. i never speak to them in aggression, just as they do, very very assertively! and it always seems to work ha ha!

if he hadda been a Bunbury copper... i woulda just called the Superintendent of South West Police, who is a good mate of mine.. i have taken pics of his band called "the Filth" which is made up of 4 high powered WA cops including the WA Police Commissioner... then the tables would be turned!!

lol its never what you know!

1st 1990 Nissan Pulsar Q. What a rocket!
2nd: Gen 2 RX... Loved and lost...
3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink
5th: More civilized now... with a Heritage Wagon... now gone...
6th Mitsubishi KJ Verada..."its nothing like a suby" now gone...
7th: 2002 B4 Liberty TT....

8th: MY04 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Pack Wagon

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com
582620_371706622901614_542168895_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users