←  Suspension / Drivetrain / Rims

Suby Club

»

Thickest wheel size you could have on a ge...

Subimission's Photo Subimission 07 Oct 2012

Hi guys, i was just curious as to what the max rim width would be on a 2003 Sept gen 3 liberty sedan. apparently its about 8 inch's still leaving clearance for the suspension. I was thinking about getting BBS RS 17x8.5 with an offset of +30. would they fit, or do i need to roll the guards. Id prefer not to roll cause i dont have the tools and facilities.

This was my thinking if the rim width is 8.5 inchs then 0 offset should sit at 4.25 from each centre, then you add 3 inchs to that, for the +30 offset. So does that mean from where the wheel mounts i need at least 7.25 inch's or clearance? then another 1.25 inchs of clearance from the hub to the guard?.

I was just trying to take measurements to see if it would work

Thanks

Josh.'s Photo Josh. 07 Oct 2012

You will have to roll the guards, there is no way of getting around that.
Google wheel offset calculator, will tell you everything you need to know. What wheel size you can run is dependent on how much camber you want and how much guard work you are willing to do.

Ok cool, can you still get camber from stock liberty suspension or you need to buy camber bolts, cause im thinking if i can get away with 2 degrees or so camber
and not have to roll the guards, that would be awesome. But thankyou ill try the offset calculator and see what results I get. Cheers

I've just checked the standard wheels currently on the car, they are 205/50/R16 87V, but i measured the rim width with a tape measure, it looked about 8 inchs but i doubt it, its probably around 16x7 where i didnt measure it properly. I also checked redbook.com.au for liberty specs for the right year and it said the front wheel description was a 16x6.5. Is the right? and what would the offset be on the subaru wheels for a standard sept 2003 sedan? thanks

Ive found this site on the net, http://www.cars101.c...sandwheels.html, if you have a look under the legacy 2002-2003 they have very similar wheel specs, only difference is it has a higher profile. i assume it uses the same rim of 16x6.5 and its offset is ET55, so using that calculator inputing original width 6.5 inch with 55 offset and new rim, 8.5 inchs with 30 offset it says: inner clearance remains the same, so i guess it has enough clearance from strut tower and outer position extends and extra 50 mm, which i think is massive, to roll guards enough to clear the outer edge of the wheel. Keep in mind my liberty has about 100 mm from guard edge to top of tire, so it may not be so noticable but the back sits about 35mm from the guard to top of tire. If the back sticks out it could rub and potentially bend the guard over a bump. Any thoughts? im probably over thinking it though

AussieTemplar's Photo AussieTemplar 07 Oct 2012

Speak to Zach.

PS I don't think they make BBS RS in suby stud pattern?

Ive spoken to a supplier and he sells replica bbs rs rims with a 5/100 stud pattern, so thats all sweet, but i just gotta check if they fit, i cant afford coilovers so im hoping to get away with abit of camber if possible, squeezing the rim in. But thanks for your advice!

Adam's Photo Adam 07 Oct 2012

I don't think the gen3 rear suspension can be adjuste with camper bolts. It's a different setup!

Ok, hmm that makes things hard then, because if they dont fit straight on i gotta roll the guards and im not too keen on that cause i might be selling the car soon, i dont really wanna be investing in coilovers if im selling the car soon. I wanna get the wheels though because they are interchangable with a 2004-2005 Blob eye wrx, which is what im looking into. Thats when ill be adding aftermarket parts. Thanks for letting me know, i probably need to look further into it, cheers!

Matt's Photo Matt 07 Oct 2012

Whiteline make adjustable lower control arms for the rear which can be used to adjust camber etc

Or theres a bush they make which can adjust camber, but it wont put much camber on though?

Ben_20EJT's Photo Ben_20EJT 07 Oct 2012

yer um talk to zach about how wide you can go, he is running 18x10 +22 wheels on his gen3 sedan.

Adam's Photo Adam 07 Oct 2012

Whiteline make adjustable lower control arms for the rear which can be used to adjust camber etc

Or theres a bush they make which can adjust camber, but it wont put much camber on though?

This is what I was getting at, but didn't know much about it.

Tbh, too much work if you are planning on selling on soon!

Yeh fair enough, im just going to pick a safer option and go for 17x7.5's they will fit without a problem, as for the whiteline arms, thanks for letting me know, apparently the stock control arms are also slightly adjustable. But yeh i wasnt sure whether i could get away without rolling the guards and without camber bolts or new arms. But thanks for your assistance, i will keep you all updated and post picks when i go ahead with it. Thanks guys!

jakefake's Photo jakefake 07 Oct 2012

17x8.5 on mine and its fine no scrub at all even with it sacked.

Matt's Photo Matt 08 Oct 2012

Yeh fair enough, im just going to pick a safer option and go for 17x7.5's they will fit without a problem, as for the whiteline arms, thanks for letting me know, apparently the stock control arms are also slightly adjustable. But yeh i wasnt sure whether i could get away without rolling the guards and without camber bolts or new arms. But thanks for your assistance, i will keep you all updated and post picks when i go ahead with it. Thanks guys!

Apart from toe im pretty sure theres no adjustment in the stock gen3 rear end

Subimission's Photo Subimission 11 Oct 2012

17x8.5 on mine and its fine no scrub at all even with it sacked.

Do you have coilover, and would itbe worth doing I have a feeling with standard suspension the widest you can go is about 8 inchs, I don't wanna order the wheels and later find I need coil, just an extra cost I'm trying to avoid atm, even though it will be done eventually, cheers