←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

Random Bonnet Scoop

Adam's Photo Adam 25 Oct 2012

Lifting the rear of the bonnet would help a whole lot more (only if running a fmic!!, dont do this with a tmic as it screws up the air movement through the core)

I just run no bonnet

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 25 Oct 2012

Posted Image I hate typing on Honda

Matt's Photo Matt 25 Oct 2012

I just run no bonnet

Cant afford?

Shaz's Photo Shaz 25 Oct 2012

Be careful with lifting the rear of the bonnet with washer spacers.

Friend of a friend of a friend was decapitated in an accident as the bonnet hinges snapped, and sent the bonnet straight through the wind-shield, severing his head from shoulders.

Nasty stuff.

Adam's Photo Adam 25 Oct 2012

Cant afford?

Posted Image

Sounds nasty!!

Fear not as im not lifting mine, just saying itd do a lot more than the tiny reverse scoop

Soop's Photo Soop 25 Oct 2012

Be careful with lifting the rear of the bonnet with washer spacers.

Friend of a friend of a friend was decapitated in an accident as the bonnet hinges snapped, and sent the bonnet straight through the wind-shield, severing his head from shoulders.

Nasty stuff.

What were the hinges made from? Al-foil?

Shaz's Photo Shaz 25 Oct 2012

What were the hinges made from? Al-foil?

Genuine hinges. Ran up the back of a truck, bonnet took impact, shattered the hinges, and pierced the windshield.

bobbyjimmy's Photo bobbyjimmy 25 Oct 2012

That must of been BIG Posted Image'ing hit to snap the bonnet hinges.

Edit - too late..
Edited by bobbyjimmy, 25 October 2012 - 12:44 PM.

Soop's Photo Soop 25 Oct 2012

Genuine hinges. Ran up the back of a truck, bonnet took impact, shattered the hinges, and pierced the windshield.

I think old mate's number was up, regardless of bonnet mods.

fatcat67's Photo fatcat67 25 Oct 2012

Aren't all modern cars designed for the hot air to flow from the front of the car, through radiator and front mount, past the engine then down under the car?
Putting on scoops and lifting bonnets is for teh noobs especially if the car doesn't need it.
Far better to put some plating under the car(standard cars mostly run this standard) and channeling the low pressure beneath the car.

^^he knows his shit ;)^^

Ive spoken to Michael South about this a lot, hes proven that the plate under the engine helps a lot with drawing air through the engine bay

fatcat67's Photo fatcat67 25 Oct 2012

Hey Matt.
I'd hazard to say that all these motor company engineers may do some testing with a few sensors under the bonnet.
Good to apply to race cars. :-)

Soop's Photo Soop 26 Oct 2012

I'd say you're probably on the money there.

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 27 Oct 2012

Good panel beater........

........poor sense of direction?

(back in the day a mate had GTS guard flutes fitted to his HQ...... backwards)

I'm with Frank on this.

bobbyjimmy's Photo bobbyjimmy 30 Oct 2012

Why do Evo Lancers have backwards bonnet vents?

fatcat67's Photo fatcat67 30 Oct 2012

Why do Evo Lancers have backwards bonnet vents?

My guess is that they've done their math and that's the way they went. If you look at an EVO engine config (as with most FWD cars) the turbo is directly beneath the vents. And the EVO vents have lots of slats as opposed to a large opening.
Also, most cars with vents are longditudinally mounted engines as opposed to trans mounted(walls in the engine bay).
IMHO. :-)