16 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hey guys, after posting up the thread about logging, i thought i would post one on flashing your ECU so you can use your logs to their full potential.

Whats Needed

First things first. Install your chosen Tuning software and flashing software, some will do both. I recommend ECUFlash as its free and works well enough. I use ECUEdit (paid for) for its ease of use and the fact that it logs aswell and will graph the logs for me.
After installing the program/s read the instructions that came with them.

Now, we are going to need to create a definition file for the program to read your ROM Image. To do this you will need XMLWrite.

Open XMLWrite and follow the instructions on the screen, if you don't know the CALLID push the Enter key and scroll through the massive list of cars, then when you have found yours, write the CALLID down somewhere located on the far right (eg: A4SH701K) and push the Esc key.
Type in your CALLID and press enter, then Type in the number that corresponds to the program you are going to be using. This will create a definition file allowing the program to read the values in your ROM. This file needs to be placed into the correct directory. for ecuflash - C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata
For EcuEdit - C:\Program Files\ecuEdit\XMLDefs

We are now ready to download your Rom file.

You will need to connect the 2 green test connectors, located under the dash on the drivers side, together and plug in your flash connector. if you buy the openport full adapter set, then it is the white connector that comes with it.
Posted Image

Posted Image
After this has been done connect the tactrix cable to the OBDII port under the driverside fuse box inside the cabin. and then to your laptop.

Open ECUFlash and click on the Read From ECU image at the top of the screen. It will then tell you to connect the green connectors then turn the ignition to the on position.

Immediately after turning the ignition to on (do not start the car) push the ok button on the screen and your Rom image will be downloaded. You have just downloaded your cars ECU ROM Image.

Save the file somewhere safe and make some backups of this file so if you should make some changes to your ECU that you are not happy with then you can return to the factory tune.

After you have saved your ROM File you can turn the car off and disconnect the laptop.

Open up ECUFlash and chose the open folder on the top right hand side.
Navigate tou you recently save Rom File and open it.
If you have made your Definition file correctly and placed it in the correct folder then you should be able to view the hundreds of maps that are on your ECU.

You can change all of these maps, but please do this carefully and always back up your original ROM file and also any ROM files that you are happy with.

Take the car out for a logging session (check my logging thread) and with this information you can start to tune your own ECU.

Once you have adjusted the maps you wish to, save it as something other than the original map, ie tune1-0 etc.

Its now time to Reflash your car. To do this you will have to follow the same steps above up to the point of reading your image. With ECUFlash, open the ROM File that you want to flash to the car ie tune1-0.
Choose the write to ecu image up the top. start the car and then immediately click the ok button and it will start flashing your ECU.

This process will take a little longer than the first as it is actually writing to your ECU not just reading from it.

After the process is complete turn off the ignition and disconnect the green test connectors and flash connector under the dash. And you are ready to go.

Take the car for a logging session and see what differences you have made.

if at any point you think that the car doesn't feel right, pull over and follow the same instructions above except load your original ROM File that you backed up onto your ECU and drive it home safely.

If you have any problems please post up questions and also, if you have problems with creating a definition file with XMLWrite I am happy to create one for you.... Just send me your downloaded rom file.

Just Married

#2 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

OK, so how do we do ODB1 cars, c'mon :-) My V4 STi ECU is just waiting to be pimped (is that correct ? I know I'm an uncultured swine) Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#3 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

Apparently Kosti has claimed to have dabbled into the black arts of the OBD1 ECU. Need to pester him about that.... :)

#4 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

Really, I might just do that.... I realised for about $800 I can fit a front mount and pipes to mine, although I am not 100% sure about whether the pipes will fit with the Legacy or not, could be an option when the baby bonus comes through though ;-) Regards Paul

#5 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:29 PM

Whats this about OBD1? Need more info.
TSM

#6 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:31 PM

ODB1 came before ODB2 :-) It's the older comms method for ECU's prior to 1998 from memory, I Think ODB2 was introduced in Subarus from MY99 onwards, so late 98. Not nearly as easy to work with from what I understand, or as modifiable as ODB2, nonetheless, you can do stuff with it. regards Paul

#7 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

OK, so how do we do ODB1 cars, c'mon :-)

My V4 STi ECU is just waiting to be pimped (is that correct ? I know I'm an uncultured swine)

Regards
Paul

I'll look into it for you, I'm sure i could find something about it, and someone to test it on :ph34r:

Just Married

#8 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

What exactly can you do with it? I know about the subdata scanner and all that. Is there more?
TSM

#9 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

Awesome write up Jeff! P.s I got ECUedit, Ecu explorer, and Enginuity... lol aah... Internets.. no business left un exploited!

#10 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

Awesome write up Jeff!

P.s I got ECUedit, Ecu explorer, and Enginuity... lol

aah... Internets.. no business left un exploited!

Thanx mate.

Just Married

#11 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hey Jeff, did you find anything about the OBD1 stuff mate ?? Paul

#12 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

Sorry mate, I havent had a real good look yet. lacking in time and effort atm. didn't find anything the other day, but like i said, wasn't a intensive research session. I should have looked into it on saturday when it was pissing down all day, but it didn't think of it.

Just Married

#13 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

ok...... After another very quick look around the intraweb, it seems that the Honda owners use their OBD 1 for tuning. Problem, they need to "chip" their ECU and then run an emulator to gather the data, after that there seems to be some sort of conversion process for the tuning software. But, it shows that it can be done, I'll have a deeper look into this on the weekend maybe.....if i don't have to go to work. Off to bed now for another early start 2morrow

Just Married

#14 Naif

Naif

Moderator Fanboi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

ok...... After another very quick look around the intraweb, it seems that the Honda owners use their OBD 1 for tuning. Problem, they need to "chip" their ECU and then run an emulator to gather the data, after that there seems to be some sort of conversion process for the tuning software.

But, it shows that it can be done, I'll have a deeper look into this on the weekend maybe.....if i don't have to go to work.

Off to bed now for another early start 2morrow

yes obd 1 ecu's can be rechipped, my brother and i both have jdm mod chips in our gen 1 ecu's.

you insert the mod chip and snip a 0 ohm resister.

unsure how any tuning is actually done.

#15 Kosti

Kosti

George Clooney's evil twin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

Sub'd :)
I prefer TWINS!

Now anyone up for a friendly game ?

Posted Image

#16 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

"It's the older comms method for ECU's prior to 1998 from memory," Hmmm I can not argue with this but I swear that I have used my scanpro tool on older cars then 98 using OBD2... I can not varify this for Subaru but......

#17 Downundersir

Downundersir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

I have some experience with Hondas & obd-1, it's not uncommon for obd2 owners to use harness adaptors to allow them to run obd-1 modded ecus. Main advantage, the chip changes, mean $5 mail order tunes are available across the world, that will allow a N/A car to start & be in a safe tune for almost any mod or configuration possible, from t25 turbo, to cams to CAI, Nos or 98 tune / E85. You don't need a $200 cable or a $600 tune. With a huge online free open source community, tunes are readily available, it's also cross comparable for Hondas, fit a 97 prelude h22 in an ED 87 crx running an obd-1 civic chipped Ecu. It's what Ecu flashing has become but was available 15yrs ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users