• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hello all, im in the market for a soft offroader. Im looking at xtrails, rav4, suby forester, and outback. I was wondering what the outback has that the liberty doesnt? Apart from the raised suspension and fenders,are there any other features that makes the car able to handle offroad better. Im not planning on much 4wd stuff, but just want a reliable car that can go down a few dirt tracks and puddles. Maybe a few river passes :)
Thanks
Will

#2 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

They have a 1 inch body lift…
[03.SUBY]

#3 bigboyscottyb

bigboyscottyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

raised suspension (about 2inchs longer than standard)
1inch body lift (in front and rear cradles, tail shaft, alk, gearbox mount)

thats all that lifts the car up an extra inch, apart from that its mainly cosmetic (guard trims, front bar, rear bar etc)

also gearboxes have a dual range set up for the manuals

#4 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

Liberty looks better. :D

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#5 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Big arse fog lamps
What model are you after Big Willy.

#6 12.SLOW

12.SLOW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

x trails aint too good on 4wd used to own one

If You Dont Love Your Car Love Your Mum 

Slower Then The Rest 

50.CYA

YAMAHA R3 2015

#7 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

As per above, there really isn't much different about the Outback compared with a Liberty apart from the obvious lift kit and durable body cladding. Typically speaking, the Outback is a higher trim car than the Liberty so a lot of them came loaded with niceties as standard where the Lib's missed out.

All those softroaders are perfectly capable with the appropriate preparations. Rav4's use to have a permanent 4WD system, but now they use one of those 'on demand' 4WD systems which work well on paper but not necessarily in theory. Ditto the CRV. I rate the X-Trail well based on what I've seen in the bush. They'd also have a better wading depth compared with Subaru's due to their higher riding body. Overall X-Trails are a little more fool proof because they've got short front and rear overhangs like a traditional 4WD.

If taking an Outback offroad, an aftermarket sump protector is a must. The plastic ones rip off too easily after brushing up against the ground.

If you're just driving down some dirt tracks, a Subaru is perfect for those duties. I've said it a million times, but my Outback feels at its absolute best unsealed country road. Its well damped, well balanced and great fun to drive, especially when compared with a 4WD.

I've just gotten back from an epic 4WD trip into the Blue Mountains and as per always - not a single squeak or rattle to be heard once I got back onto the black stuff. My car has been so reliable, I have no desire to upgrade to a newer model because I doubt it could be as reliable as this.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#8 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

As per above, there really isn't much different about the Outback compared with a Liberty apart from the obvious lift kit and durable body cladding. Typically speaking, the Outback is a higher trim car than the Liberty so a lot of them came loaded with niceties as standard where the Lib's missed out.

All those softroaders are perfectly capable with the appropriate preparations. Rav4's use to have a permanent 4WD system, but now they use one of those 'on demand' 4WD systems which work well on paper but not necessarily in theory. Ditto the CRV. I rate the X-Trail well based on what I've seen in the bush. They'd also have a better wading depth compared with Subaru's due to their higher riding body. Overall X-Trails are a little more fool proof because they've got short front and rear overhangs like a traditional 4WD.

If taking an Outback offroad, an aftermarket sump protector is a must. The plastic ones rip off too easily after brushing up against the ground.

If you're just driving down some dirt tracks, a Subaru is perfect for those duties. I've said it a million times, but my Outback feels at its absolute best unsealed country road. Its well damped, well balanced and great fun to drive, especially when compared with a 4WD.

I've just gotten back from an epic 4WD trip into the Blue Mountains and as per always - not a single squeak or rattle to be heard once I got back onto the black stuff. My car has been so reliable, I have no desire to upgrade to a newer model because I doubt it could be as reliable as this.

I need something very reliable and i had no issues what so ever with my 3rd gen lib/legacy. The downside to the subaru is that parts may be not as common as the toyotas where i am going and they ideally require higher octane fuel. Fuel economy could be better but i would prefer to have a reliable car over fuel economy.

At this stage im thinking about a 3rd gen as they represent good value for money. Also liking the 2002ish foresters.

The thing i like about the xtrail is that they are also good value and the ability to switch awd off to save on fuel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Offroad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users