←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

97 GX Liberty "Oti" Build

Evohunter88's Photo Evohunter88 17 Feb 2013

Okay, so after a few small Subaru projects here and there, I have finally decided to build up my baby with the plans I have had for her since I bought her in 2006.

Affectionately known as "Oti" by myself, friends and family, this car has been through all of my life's big events over the past 6.5 years and it is well known that this car has become a part of the family! (Call it wierd or whatever, some of you probably understand), but with 400,000kms on the clock rapidly approaching, I have decided to finally start on the ever-delayed plans to build her into a Grand-Tourer with enough power to punch you in the back of the head.

Most people will see this as a waste of time, and money, but with the attachment to the car and the uniqueness of the Gen 2 facelift wagons, I don't care how many people say; "why don't you just buy an STi?".

In her current state, she only has lowered springs and 17-inch Legacy GT-B wheels, and is used as a daily drive.

I recently purchased an imported 1993 Legacy RS EJ20G motor, which will be used only for the block, whilst all other parts internals will be replaced with new or upgraded items. (Bearings, Pistons, Turbo, Heads, manifolds etc. etc.)
The driveline, brakes and suspension will all be replaced by new/upgraded items, while the build will be finished off with a few exterior enhancements, such as Projector Headlights and a respray in the same Subaru light-silver, but with a more metallic/vibrant appearance (Mica or flake, still deciding)

This is basically a two-pronged build, as I have a 93 Liberty Rallye, which I am going to be putting on the road to drive while the build of Oti is underway, and will be doing light mods such as wheels, tyres, exhaust, intake and interior, just for some street cred!

With this thread, I will try to keep you all updated with my progress, failings, winnings, ups and downs, prices and the occasional how-to, as I am sure I will be learning a lot throughout this build, and would love to help anyone out in future with the things I have learned from this.
Input is appreciated, as well as suggestions, but with two kids, a mortgage and an over-demanding, under paying job, my pockets are not bottemless and as a result I will be doing most of the work (including the big stuff) myself with some help from friends, and I expect the initial part of the build to take around 12 months, so watch this space, and don't expect miracles or gimmicks.

So for now, this is Oti:
Attached File  WP_000106.jpg   755.79KB   5 downloads
This is the engine:
Attached File  WP_000233.jpg   188.62KB   7 downloads
This is the Rallye (with the wheels I'm fitting put up against it)
Attached File  WP_000224.jpg   939.78KB   5 downloads

Adam's Photo Adam 17 Feb 2013

Most people will see this as a waste of time, and money, but with the attachment to the car and the uniqueness of the Gen 2 facelift wagons, I don't care how many people say; "why don't you just buy an STi?".

We aren't most people. Make sure you post lots of pics!

Dont be a stranger!

gen 2 wagon > STi :)

JRod's Photo JRod 17 Feb 2013

We aren't most people. Make sure you post lots of pics!

Dont be a stranger!

gen 2 wagon > STi :)

X2

Go for it mate.

Cam.'s Photo Cam. 17 Feb 2013

Building the car you want and need > Everyone else's opinion.

G'day and good luck!

AussieTemplar's Photo AussieTemplar 17 Feb 2013

Built > bought.

Aaron.W's Photo Aaron.W 17 Feb 2013

Mate can never have enough gen 2's out there.. will be watchjng this closely

Liberty's Photo Liberty 17 Feb 2013

You have come to the right place. As you can see, we aren't the 'just buy an STi' kinda group. I've thankfully received the same respect when it came to revealing my plans for my car (nowhere near as much as you and many other people on here, but that's the point). I hope all goes well with this project. Be sure to keep it updated man.

Oh, and welcome to SubyClub mate! :)

aekOne's Photo aekOne 17 Feb 2013

welcome to suby club mate. good to see more gen 2's popping up!

WALKER's Photo WALKER 17 Feb 2013

Can't wait to see results

vicelore's Photo vicelore 18 Feb 2013

Nice work mate.. Im at the ass end of the same process your going down.. If you wanna know what your up for have a read thru my thread.. :)

A conversions has been a great thing to go thru for me :) No one understands but we do here :)

http://www.subyclub....n/page__st__360

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 18 Feb 2013

Hey mate, look forward to you progress.

Morgan's Photo Morgan 18 Feb 2013

Welcome to Subyclub. You've come to the right place!

Guest_KONG_* 18 Feb 2013

The satisfaction of building a car can NOT be purchased ;)

Evohunter88's Photo Evohunter88 18 May 2013

Alrighty, so somewhere in between work and family, I've managed to put some time into the first part of my build: Creating the new daily!

This 1993 Liberty Rallye is to serve as the daily in the time that the Oti build will be taking place.

This week, I have had time to replace the LHF Driveshaft and Tie-rod-end, and gave her a nice service this arvo, replacing the thick black oil and almost as thick and black coolant with nice fresh stuff, as well as changing filters, plugs and giving it all a good once over to check for faults.

I also threw in a spare Kenwood Head-Unit I had lying around (Now waiting on a 1.5din to be arranged to tidy up that gaping hole under the 1-din unit.)

Also replaced the steering wheel with a smaller ADR-Approved item, as the original wheel was softer than (insert offensive quote ref. Liberace and the Playboy Mansion :walts: )

Finally, I added a set of '05 Liberty wheels to finish off the look, but I'm considering lowering springs now as it looks like a monster truck in my opinion!

Attached File  376807_452903504799738_1296075989_n.jpg   117.13KB   7 downloads

Attached File  253237_452928251463930_1616034817_n.jpg   58.55KB   7 downloads

All it need now is a good clean (inside and out) and a Roadworthy should be a breeze, which will see me onto the next phase of my project;

BUILDING THE CLOSED DECK!!

Morgan's Photo Morgan 18 May 2013

Photos are crooked but the car looks good!

MrSober88's Photo MrSober88 18 May 2013

Looking forward to seeing this progress

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 18 May 2013

Will be watching with interest.

Cant beat Gen2 wagon hotness. :D

Bumpty's Photo Bumpty 18 Dec 2013

Cant beat Gen2 wagon hotness. :D

+1

updates?

Evohunter88's Photo Evohunter88 29 Apr 2014

Okay so after numerous things being put on the backburner again, (mainly due to an RS Liberty project I started but recently sold) Oti became my daily again, but now with the purchase of a MY15 WRX for my daily and weekender, I have the ability to get some serious work happening on this build.
Stay tuned!!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Morgan's Photo Morgan 29 Apr 2014

Seen that pic of your garage, mate. Looks awesome!

Congrats on the new car!