324 replies to this topic

#1 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Chaps,

Thought I'd pop open a video editing thread for those who have been shooting film, and throwing it through software for post production changes.

I bought a Canon 7D on the weekend, and have been amazed at the quality of the video.

Software I'm using is Adobe Premier Pro and Adobe After Effects so far. I've only done one video, that was recorded in 25fps, as I need to figure out the settings on the camera to go up to 60fps. I've only spent about 6 hours using it all, and this is the video that i've come up with.

I was originally getting confused why my file sizes for 6+gb, but then I realised I was rendering a 1920x1080i video to .AVI. Silly me. In any case, rendered to a H.264 MP4 file, and file size reduced to 42mb, but retaining quite a bit of the quality. There is still a drop, as to be expected, but didn't come out too bad.

Other noteworthy bits I've taken from the above video.

- Camera is shaky as fook, even when using the IS on the lense. I defintiely need to invest in a rig, with a follow focus.
- The above video was recorded in 25fps, and the slow mo parts where done at 300% of original speed. Hence the shakiness. Need to figure out the 60fps setting.
- Lense used was a 18-200mm Canon job.
- The solid layer, and the adjustment layer seem to fall off at the end. I don't think i've set the video end point at the correct point on the timeline, so will have to have a play around with that.

Anythign else you guys can see that could do with improving would be awesome. Fire away!

Also keen to see footage you've shot, the software used for editing, and what worked well / not so well for you. Canon brand, and lense type is also helpful information.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#2 portugese_gorilla

portugese_gorilla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

For 60 fps the resolution needs to be lower

#3 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, the 7D records at 1920x1080 @ 24/30FPS whereas if I lower the quality to 1280x720, it can record at 60fps if I'm not mistaken.

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

When I edit, I always render to a 720p video. I don't see any value to editing 1080p with what I'm doing. With fast motion, I shoot at 720/60fps. With things that I can't set the camera up to point at exactly what I want (e.g, mud running) I use the 960 (I think) resolution. So that I have a larger area to crop down to 720p (960 is the 4:3 ratio of 720p basically)

With timelapses I use full resolution (12mp) and then crop or shrink in post to show what I want to show!

Obviously this is all on a gopro. But the concept is still te same!

Posted Image

#5 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, the only reason I render to 1080 at the moment Adam, is purely because anything smaller starts to look a bit average on my 60" LCD.

Will give the 720/60fps a crack tonight.

#6 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Shaz, highly recommend getting something (or building something as you've mentioned) that protrudes with a counterbalance over your back. This makes all the difference when moving around as the rig is balanced on your shoulders. You don't get the pitching motion that makes video look cheap.

Posted Image

http://store.redrock...Bundle-DSLR-rig

Tim, that one I posted earlier I believe is able to have the counter weight added on through the use of those 15mm attachments, so I'm assuming you could simply "add on" that counterweight you're talking about?

#7 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Ahh yeah, just looking at the pic you posted i see the 15mm rod.

Should be able to adapt that. Just get some longer 15mm rod lengths and attach a should rest (as opposed to the chest rest) and slide on some weights at the back end.

Posted Image

#8 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Posted Image

Just the "above" pic we're referring to for those playing at home. I think you're right though, it looks like you can just add those rods for the counterweight. Where the 2 handles are on the edges, you could run a length of rod, and attach half weight on both sides for extra stability.

#9 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

As a side note, has anyone used this before?

http://www.camranger.com/

Its basically a device that attaches to your camera, and supports live view through a linked iPad. Perfect for videoing on the go, where you need to be able to change focus and whatnot, and not have to use such a small screen. Anyone know of anything that does this cheaper then this box?

I'd imagine it would be handy where you are wanting to obtain a very low angle of something you're recording, and want to make sure it is in focus and the picture is exactly what you want.

#10 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

300bucks looks pretty damn good for what that thing does.

Considering the gopro equivalent was $120 or something.

This one looks far better!

Posted Image

#11 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

300bucks looks pretty damn good for what that thing does.

Considering the gopro equivalent was $120 or something.

This one looks far better!

The main thing I like about it, is that it isn't tethered with a cord, and you can remote mount it, so if you're filming low shots that pan around, you don't have to lay on your stomach to make sure the focus is correct.

#12 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Exactly! Also, no risk of bumping the camera by accidentally pulling the cord!

Also, makes you look pro :D

One thing to make sure of though, is see if they mention a delay with the preview.

Mine is about 2 seconds, so it would be pretty useless for other than lining up a static shot

Posted Image

#13 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Exactly! Also, no risk of bumping the camera by accidentally pulling the cord!

Also, makes you look pro :D

One thing to make sure of though, is see if they mention a delay with the preview.

Mine is about 2 seconds, so it would be pretty useless for other than lining up a static shot

Yeah, I thought about that. The website for it says that the frame rate for live view is between 6 and 18FPS depending on camera (Mind is at the high end at 18) so there may be a "small" delay, but nothing you can't work around IMO.

#14 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Chaps, I acquired that Twixtor thing last night, but I think I might be a bit confused. Its not actually a program is it? The thing that I downloaded seemed to be an add on for after effects?

do, eith further reasearch, it looks like the files that DID install last night, need to be moved to the After Effects plugin folder, so that Twixtor becomes another "effect" as such?

#15 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Correct, Shaz! Then you will find it in your effects toolbar... Or somewhere

Posted Image

#16 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, I thought as much. I was half asleep last night and kept trying to drag and drop the AEX file into After Effects, and when it wouldn't work, I gave up.

I'll give it another crack tonight. Looks like its as easy as copypastaing the files across from desktop, into the Plugins folder.

#17 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Mine had an installer. Bit I'm sure it just does what you said

Posted Image

#18 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Mine had an installer. Bit I'm sure it just does what you said

Yeah, mine had an installer as well, but it didn't install by default to the right folder. Oh well, easy enough to fix.

#19 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

So I got twixtor working. Kinda.

Yes, the video goes for Posted Image all time, but I was trying to learn how to use keyframes and got well sick of the RAM preview times on a long video.

#20 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Haha fuzzy legs!

I think it has a fair few limits hey! Hahaha

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canon, nikon, imjustwaitingforamate, doaskid, skidsforkids, showusyafootage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users