53 replies to this topic

#1 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

As my current pads are coming to the end of their lives I am keen on buying a complete set of Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads from a place in the US via eBay (seller is called kingtekperf). The seller mentioned that postage was a flat rate, and if I could find another buyer, he would be able to fit two complete sets (eight sets of brake pads in total) per box. The reason why I am writing this topic is to ask whether anyone else is interested in taking advantage of this and is keen to break up the postage costs?

Postage is US$60, so will be approximately $28.97 per person if someone decides to get a complete set. If there are two people interested in getting one pair each, we could break up the postage accordingly.

Here are some details about the pads themselves: http://www.hawkperfo...nce/ceramic.php

The seller also stocks High Performance Street and HP Plus pads. Let me know if you're interested in them.

Let me know as soon as possible guys!

Here is an up-to-date list on every member interested and any other necessary information I must refer to when making the purchase.

• Liberty - Hawk Performance Ceramics (set) - 2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon - PAID
  • peadya100 - Hawk Performance Ceramics (set) - 2007 Liberty MY07 2.5 GT SpecB wagon - PAID
  • Rickchampion (club.liberty) - DIXCEL ES-types (set) - ?
  • seanmau5 - Hawk Performance Ceramics (set) - 2006 Liberty MY06 2.5 Premium sedan - PAID
  • libz05 (club.liberty) - Hawk Performance Ceramics (rear) - 2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB sedan - PAID
  • nickknack - Hawk Performance Ceramics (front) - 2002 Liberty MY02 2.0 B4 TT sedan - PAID
  • PUDZ3.0RB (club.liberty) - Hawk Performance Ceramics (set) - 2005 Liberty MY05 3.0R SpecB wagon
  • cowma (club.liberty) - Hawk Performance Ceramics (set) - 2006 Liberty MY07 2.0 wagon - PAID
  • Dutch54 (club.liberty) - Hawk Performance Ceramics (set) - 2007 Liberty MY08 2.5 GT SpecB wagon - PAID
  • spookytits (club.liberty) - Hawk Performance Ceramics (set) - 2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB sedan - PAID

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#2 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Final call on this guys.

I am wanting to get it all confirmed and ready to go within the next couple of weeks so if you're keen on a brand new set of Hawk Performance Ceramics, let me know as soon as possible!

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#3 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

I need new pads, I'm interested. My car is not listed on the HP website so I've sent them an email to see if they make some to suit my car. Will keep you posted Gaz

#4 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

As much as I wouldn't like to rain on your parade, organising group buys is awesome and should be highly encouraged, but...

I would seriously be evaluating and re-evaluating whether you actually need ceramic brake pads or not.

They'll munch through your rotors like it's nobody's business.

They're as noisy as fork.

And they take time to warm up before they're effective (making your first couple of kilometres rather sketchy)

Take a car with ceramic brake pads out for a drive, from stone cold.

I've driven a car that had ceramic pads on numerous occasions (Renaultsport Clio Cup 182) and it was a forking pig until things warmed up. 

On a racecar, by all means, go for it. But for a street car, I think it's a silly modification.

Instead:

Nice soft grippy pads, slotted rotors (RDA for the budget conscious, else DBA/Brembo), fresh high temp fluid change, stainless steel brake lines, and a master cylinder stopper will work absolute wonders.

#5 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

That's pretty spot on.

How good is the sound?

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH...

You constantly have to hear from people that you may need brake pads soon. So fecking annoying.

Swapped them out for Bendix Ultimates, Happy days.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NUljLu3yQVk

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#6 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Ahhhhh fork that then lol. Cam I'm coming to the end of my set of ultimates so I guess just replacing them would be best?

#7 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Cheap, Good, Available.

With the only bad bit being brake dust, You can't go wrong.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#8 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Rugby league, surfing, cars, music (Rise Against)

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

Agree with you 100% Cam, I love them. Brake dust is a small sacrifice really

#9 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

So pretty much everything on this page would be incorrect then? I just get mixed reviews when it comes to the Bendix Ultimates, not to mention they're a more expensive option for me (and Supercheap Auto charge $72.99 for Bendix Ultra Premiums)...

This video seems to highly recommend them, as well as the comments the video has received.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Ahh.

Don't worry about personal experiences then.

The internet told you so? Go buy them then.

If you don't like bendix ultimates, there's a whole myriad of options (Lucas, QFM, etc) without having to go ceramic pads.

#11 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

It's not that, it's the fact that a few other members have said that the Hawk Performance Ceramics are as good as you have said the Bendix Ultimate are. I'd never knock back personal experiences over what companies promote on their websites. I just can't afford expensive pads at the moment, and from what I can tell, the Bendix Ultimate seem to be more expensive, even on eBay.

What would be the next best thing under Bendix Ultimate?

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#12 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

The Internet told me to buy royal purple oil.
My engine told me to not buy royal purple oil.
I bought royal purple oil.
It ran really rough.
I emptied my engine.
Should have listened to people who have put it in before with bad experiences.

Get a group buy going for some decent standard brakes. Ill be all over that. I can't stand the Bendix ultimates, too much brake dust.
[03.SUBY]

#13 12.SLOW

12.SLOW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:07 AM

The Internet told me to buy royal purple oil.
My engine told me to not buy royal purple oil.
I bought royal purple oil.
It ran really rough.
I emptied my engine.
Should have listened to people who have put it in before with bad experiences.

Get a group buy going for some decent standard brakes. Ill be all over that. I can't stand the Bendix ultimates, too much brake dust.

i have used royal before never had a issue but havent used it on my suby used in on my proton satira gti works well for mitsubishi mite not be so for suby 

If You Dont Love Your Car Love Your Mum 

Slower Then The Rest 

50.CYA

YAMAHA R3 2015

#14 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

It's not that, it's the fact that a few other members have said that the Hawk Performance Ceramics are as good as you have said the Bendix Ultimate are. I'd never knock back personal experiences over what companies promote on their websites. I just can't afford expensive pads at the moment, and from what I can tell, the Bendix Ultimate seem to be more expensive, even on eBay.

What would be the next best thing under Bendix Ultimate?

Alex said higher up that ceramic pads will chew through your rotors quicker than pads like Bendix Ultimate. so while i can see your point of being budget conscious and not wanting to fork out alot of money now for pads, the way i would be looking at it is that perhaps spending a bit more money now is going to save you money in the long run?

yes the bendix ultimates will cost you a bit more than the ceramic pads now for you to obtain, however in the long run they are going to make your rotors last longer, ergo you will be saving the money there in having to replace rotors sooner than needed, and with the replacement of rotors requires to replacement of pads? (i could be wrong there, im not as mechanically minded as others, so if im wrong please someone correct me)

spending a bit more money in the short term, can quite often save you money in the long term

#15 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

I understand that Mark. I've gotta weigh out my options.

Cheapest I can find on eBay is $137 for front and $137 for rear Bendix Ultimate. That comes to a total of $274 and they're located in Braeside, Victoria. Free standard postage. The Hawk Performance Ceramics are setting me back $198.83. About $72 difference.

If I can get them to lower the price for a group buy, I will consider them. I've sent the seller a message. Is $137 for a pair of Bendix Ultimate a good price?

I'll see what my best option is for now. I've gotta watch out on my spending to avoid getting closer to the zero.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#16 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Have you tried EBC Greenstuff?

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#17 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

Nope, never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago either. I may have some good news in regards to organising a group buy for Bendix Ultimate brake pads...

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#18 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Rugby league, surfing, cars, music (Rise Against)

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Look into QFM pads, heard a lot of good reviews about them. Had 0 experience with them though

#19 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

QFM pads are awesome.

From personal experience: I ran a set in my suby with fresh fluid at a track day. Where my car was doing double stints with Grant driving. Neither of us really backed off i did get brake fad by the end of the day but i was super impressed with how my brakes were. And i have the crappy 277mm two pots everyone rips off. After the day Grant was gonna buy some rs impreza brakes till i told him he already had the same size calipers and rotors.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#20 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

FYI:

http://qfm.com.au

And you get the satisfaction of buying an Australian made product that's designed to work for Australian conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users