Photo

Powered Antenna to Aftermarket Head Unit?

aerial antenna powered antenna powered aerial stereo audio help electrical wiring

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tamastar

tamastar

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

So I've just put a new Pioneer head unit in my 2000 Outback, but I haven't plugged the antenna cable in yet because it won't reach and I need an extension. My worry is, there's only one connector coming out of the head unit and two connectors in the dash as there were in the OEM head unit. I've been reading up on this and I understand it's got something to do with the powered diversity antenna in this model. I thought power for the antenna would be in the wiring harness so when I was soldering connections I soldered the blue remote wire to what I thought was the antenna power in the wiring harness. So my question is, if the power for the antenna is indeed in one of those two black antenna connectors in the dash then how to I connect the two connectors (one male, one female) up to the new Pioneer head unit?

Thanks and sorry if that's confusing!

#2 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Don't know if this is much help to you but I recently put a sony headunit into a Gen 3 liberty that has the same double antenna plugs. All I done to get the radio working was to plug in an extension cable and it worked just fine. Can't remember what one of the 2 plugs I put it on but It worked fine.

#3 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

You can just grab an extension cable and extend the end that looks like it would go into the back off the head unit. My radio works fine with just the one cable connected, but it's definitely not as clear as it used to be. I think Nissan's have the same set up and make a 2 into 1 adapter. I don't really listen to the radio, so I never bothered to track down the adapter.

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#4 tamastar

tamastar

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

I think Nissan's have the same set up and make a 2 into 1 adapter. I don't really listen to the radio, so I never bothered to track down the adapter.

I did look at that, the Nissan one changes into a 2-pin adaptor though which is different again. Anyway, hopefully it works with just the one thanks guys!

#5 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

My radio works fine with just the one cable connected, but it's definitely not as clear as it used to be.

I just went and tried out both the single cable in the liberty and the sound in my impreza which is only the standard one cable and I couldn't hear a difference.

#6 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

There's 2 connecters? I only remember there being one. I'm on my fourth headunit, since the stock one. Will have to double check, but sure there's only one.

Perhaps you have an extra for something else?

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#7 tamastar

tamastar

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

There's 2 connecters? I only remember there being one. I'm on my fourth headunit, since the stock one. Will have to double check, but sure there's only one.

Well I was under the impression that maybe one of them was for power and one for signal? There's one male antenna connector and one female one, and that's how it was connected to the OEM head unit with two connectors.

#8 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

They run two different polarity antenna AFAIK. You can use one, but you will loose a little (but only a little) signal strength. Aerpro make a two to one adaptor that you can buy for about 10 to 15 bucks, but I never saw the need. If you live in the city dont worry about it. Just leave it unplugged.

As far as your wiring goes, there should be no soldering of wiring together. The remote wire is a signal wire, not designed to carry current, whereas the antenna power wire is used to power a small motor in the powered aerial (What makes it go up and down)
The outbacks and liberties do not need this function, as the antenna is part of the wiring on the rear window, rather than a stick aerial.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#9 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I remember that 2 pronged aerial plug.

I don't think I ever fixed it but I'm sure there are adaptors to suit.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#10 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Well here is a pic of whats on the back of the stock headunit.

Posted Image

#11 tamastar

tamastar

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Okay thanks heaps guys, I'll just try plugging it into one. I just need an antenna extension cable, where's the best place to get one? Would a normal stereo shop have one?

#12 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

I just went and tried out both the single cable in the liberty and the sound in my impreza which is only the standard one cable and I couldn't hear a difference.

Imprezas clearly don't have the same quality radio from factory that a Gen 3 does ;P

I found driving around Metropolitan area, it's seemed to be fine. But outside of Metro, signal dropped off fairly quickly.

There's 2 connecters? I only remember there being one. I'm on my fourth head unit, since the stock one. Will have to double check, but sure there's only one.

Mine is very short, and when I disconnected the first head unit, it was hidden down the back somewhere. Looks like a Nokia charger.

Okay thanks heaps guys, I'll just try plugging it into one. I just need an antenna extension cable, where's the best place to get one? Would a normal stereo shop have one?

I think mine was from Jaycar for like $6?

The outbacks and liberties do not need this function, as the antenna is part of the wiring on the rear window, rather than a stick aerial.

One of the best things about the Gen 3! The amount of Commodore and Falcon Ariel I have replaced for mates because a bird, car wash or low branch has snapped it off.

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#13 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

The one I got was an Aeropro brand from super cheap. Was under $10 from memory.

Imprezas clearly don't have the same quality radio from factory that a Gen 3 does ;P

I'm not surprised. The factory speakers in the gen 3 sound heaps better than the aftermarket ones I put in my impreza. Feel so disappointed sometimes :(

#14 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

I'm not surprised. The factory speakers in the gen 3 sound heaps better than the aftermarket ones I put in my impreza. Feel so disappointed sometimes :(

The stock Clarion's were pretty good. Nothing compared to the JL's I now have though.

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#15 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

I had an alpine and pioneer hu in my gen3... Get the two in one adapter the others are talking about. You'll probably find it will give you the right signal strength and extra length you need too. Well, that's what happened when I got the adapter.

No need to connect the blue remote wire. That's a signal wire to tell an amp or similar external device to fire up when the hu turns on.

#16 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

This is the one I had in the Outback -

Posted Image

IM47Gcv.jpg

#17 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Grab an adapter from the audio shop.

Posted Image

#18 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

It's called a "Nissan Diversity Antennae", Aerpro part number is "AP348A".

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#19 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:spending all the coin on the rex

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

im now stuck in the same situation, my problem is that, if i buy that adapter, then ill need a male to male antenna lead, cause the lead coming out of the back of the HU is female same as the adapter. anyone know where i can get a male to male antenna lead? currently searching ebay

cheers

luke

#20 patttyfox

patttyfox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Could get one of these; 

http://www.autobarn....r-antenna-ap170

Ran one in a mates car the other weekend and worked perfectly, then no need to find a male to male antenna lead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aerial, antenna, powered antenna, powered aerial, stereo, audio, help, electrical, wiring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users