#1 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

Soop's track wagon.

After driving my Naturally aspirated EJ22 powered BD sedan home from work one night, and giving it some stick through the country back roads I often frequent, i was thinking "Sure it goes around corners alright. But i did it with my elbow on the window sill."
I needed something that would get the Ol' adrenaline glads back into shape, and since riding was out of the question due to injuries, I needed something i could do with both butt cheeks planted.

The decision was made, that it would be a gen1 that would do the job, and further more a gen1 wagon. I chose the wagon because i dislike the styling of the sedan, that rear quarter panel is awful!
What i didn't expect was how long it would take to find an example that was worth the money being asked for it, the price of these old banger's has held up quiet well.

In late June i found the one i was after. In a wreckers no less.
It was a 1990 model GX Liberty wagon, featuring a dual range 5speed manual and the remnants of what used to be an airbag suspension setup.
A quick inspection revealed that it had spent most if not all its life on a farm. The underside, engine bay and most of the interior were mostly covered in dirt and dust.

The day after i got it i started pulling it down, in preparation for the build.
The amount of debris was utterly staggering. Inside the rear quarter panels we (My self and a mate) removed about eight liters of dirt and mud.
First job on the cards was removing the engine. We did this the easiest way we could think of, straight out the bottom.
To begin with we removed the front clip and exhaust system. Once this was done we then moved to removing everything that attached the engine to the car and then moved onto the actual removal. The plan was to remove the engine without splitting the two. So with the aid of a trolley jack we undid the transmission cross member and the engine cross member and slowly slid the whole lot out. The most difficult part was clearing the radiator support, but we overcame this quickly and the engine was out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Do you see Dylan, do you see!)

Once this stage was completed we moved onto the interior.
Holy f*ck was it filthy. I can't even begin to describe how much filth was in this vehicle. So I'll let pictures tell the story.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once we had removed all the interior components and the sound deadening from the floor (BIATCH of a job), we had to clean it.
This was done via some turpentine and a rag. Two days later it looked like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the Engine bay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once we had the car stripped and cleaned. It was time to start on the modifications.
First up, were a pair of second hand G4 coil overs. These will not be staying in for the long term, they're more of a stop gap so that i can get everything set where i want it until such time as i can purchase some Tein RA coil overs.
Next i Purchased a set of Whiteline adjustable lateral control arms, with poly urethane bushes. This is to allow some degree of toe adjustment and the ability to later upgrade to an R180 rear end.

Posted Image

I finally received the drive line. After quiet a few hiccups with the far from efficient Australian logistics network. A massive thanks must go out to Mick (Evil_Chief) for tracking the drive line down for me after the incompetent freight companies botched the job.

Here is the new front bar, needs a little tickle up here and there. But will be fine for the shit box.

Posted Image

And the new gearbox. 4.11 final drive.
It will most probably break at some point, but it will have to do for the moment.

Posted Image

Modifications:

Suspension:
  • G4 coil overs.
  • Whiteline adjustable lateral arms.
  • (In transit) Alloy control arms.

Chassis:
  • Interior removed.
  • Sound deadening stripped.
  • Hillholder deleted.
  • (On the list.) Roll cage and seam welding.

Driveline:
  • JDM 4.11 gear box and VLSD Diff.

Engine:
  • Incomplete.
  • Forged EJ22t bottom end.
  • GT3071 turbo.
  • GTB heads.

Thanks for reading, I hope some how you may have gained some information from this. If you have any queries please post up or shoot me a PM!

Cheers, Paul.
TSM

#2 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

fark, that exhaust system looks like it could reach Sydney from Ballina. Why are you doing this? and don't say track.. why not your sedan?

#3 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

I'm doing this because i wanna go Really farking fast ;). Your B4 exhaust is longer mate, by about 114mm. Sedan is a daily mate, and it does the trick.
TSM

#4 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

I'm doing this because i wanna go Really farking fast ;).
Your B4 exhaust is longer mate, by about 114mm.

Sedan is a daily mate, and it does the trick.

but hows it gonna handle being heavy front, light back? it would be like a hilux ute

#5 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

but hows it gonna handle being heavy front, light back? it would be like a hilux ute

He'll have 2x15" subs in the back, when on the track!

STIG style!

#6 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

It'll be all 02 STi underneath mate. And they weight slightly more than a gen1 sedan when in full trim, so this will actually weigh less. Their weight split is also the same as a sedan.
TSM

#7 rxliberty2000

rxliberty2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

And the areodnamics of the wagon will be so much better then a poor old sedan!

#8 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

It'll be all 02 STi underneath mate.
And they weight slightly more than a gen1 sedan when in full trim, so this will actually weigh less.
Their weight split is also the same as a sedan.

Weight split can be very adjustable and dependent on the removal/moving of a few things.
Are you moving the battery into an enclosed box and moving it to the rear Paul?
I know you asked me about a fuel cell like mine and again that is further rear than the Battery. Its over the top of the Spare wheel well above the fuel pump and lines.
Most of the weight in mine will be in the driver's side. Hehehe.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#9 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

Hahaha, we all thought it but you said it ;). Yeah the battery will go to the arse end.
TSM

#10 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

So whats going to be all 02 STi underneath Pauly?????

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#11 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Suspension i was referring too. Rear cross member, and front end. The rear cross member allows for the higher mounting points of the rear lateral arms, this allows the car to be lower to the ground whislt still maintaing a good roll center. Most components will be aftermarket, but the general core will all be late model STi stuff. I've managed to find somewhere selling STi trailing arms, so they'll be going in as well.
TSM

#12 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

makes me want to get a project car of my own... that would stop the old man from giving me shit about spending money on my car (buying another one isn't any better... lol) the guy at ultratune who did my service has a gen1 sedan (i like sedans better)... he is gonna sell up soon... i'm thinking of buying it (for all of $1k) and making my own turbo track weapon... it's the only way i can (legally - lol dylan) drive a turbo... on a track...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#13 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

It is the smartest and safest way to go about it. Tristian, i STRONGLY suggest doing a good amount of research and look over any prospecting vehicles for smash repairs and rust, particularly if your going to use a Gen1. As always, if your not sure give me a bell.
TSM

#14 Not Marv

Not Marv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Living an organic lifestyle free of vices like alcohol.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:47 AM

Weight split is different from sedan to wagon as the wags held 70kg more over the rear than the sedans. This doesn't change F:R bias much, but there is a lot more weight up high on the wagons. Also, it was the MY03-04 JDM STis got the better cradles for roll centres. Anyone wanting a cheap Gen1 shell in NSW should keep their eyes out in about 12months time as an RS sedan shell will be coming up cheap. Might even have an STi RA motor, FMIC, 440s, 3" exhaust and parallel rails in it, too...

#15 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

Good stuff Paul. Look forward to watching your progress on the "beast". :D

OEM+

#16 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

Anyone wanting a cheap Gen1 shell in NSW should keep their eyes out in about 12months time as an RS sedan shell will be coming up cheap. Might even have an STi RA motor, FMIC, 440s, 3" exhaust and parallel rails in it, too...

ooooo!!!

ME!! ME!!! PICK ME!!!!

2mmwi1w.jpg

#17 Not Marv

Not Marv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Living an organic lifestyle free of vices like alcohol.

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

It's looking like it'll be freshly resprayed and have newly tinted windows, though it will have mostly stock-type brakes and suspension, and will be missing a stereo and front seats...

#18 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

New thread ftw? Dylan clean it up.
TSM

#19 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:58 PM

Hey Paul, this might be a dumb question, but if you're building a track car, wouldn't a sedan have been a better option? Or did you just go the wagon for the WaGhOon HaWtNeSs?

#20 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

Mostly for the style. But there is very little difference between the sedan and wagon. With a roll cage there is basically none.
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users