60 replies to this topic

#1 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hey guys,

Anyone know why a B4 will limit boost to about 0.5 bar? Valley of death is still there, boost drops to 0.3 and secondary turbo boosts back to about 0.5 bar.

I parked the car, turned it off and its boosting normal again. It seems like the ecu is limiting boost for some reason? But why does an engine restart fix it?

It happened once a month ago and occured again this morning. Other than that, the car drives fine. I havent done anything unusual. Petrol is 98 Ron 1/4 tank atm. All engines fluids are good. No CELs. Car is stock apart from a hurricane? cat back.
Apparently the previous owner replaced the o2 sensor already last year.

Cheers guys.

#2 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hey guys. I checked for ecu codes. Nothing. Cel just flashes rapidly.

So what could it be? From what I've seen the car will probably drive normal tomorrow and then suddenly restrict boost to 0.5 bar a few days later.
it happened again today half way through a trip. I drove 15km home without problems but can really notice less power with the throttle down and boost is not building higher than 0.5 on the primary turbo.

Maybe the car just needs an upper engine clean and Italian tune up to free up any gunk in the twin turbo system?

#3 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Sounds like it has gone into LIMP mode maybe? If the ecu detects serious pinging (detonation) it sometimes goes into LIMP mode which doesn't allow the car to boost. It can either reset itself or you can reset your ecu which shod fix it. That is if that's the problem

#4 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Broken knock sensor causing the limp mode?

#5 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Knock sensor would cause a code?

Mine would still boost up. But would just have no go.

Posted Image

#6 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Well i'm still getting boost.
If I wide open throttle after taking off, boost would hold at almost 0.5 bar, drop 0.2 or so due to valley of death, then boost up to 0.5 again with the secondary turbo.

Boost is not erratic or anything. it doesn't fluctuate. It's like there's a boost limiter for some reason.

I'll definitely pick up a can of upper engine cleaner soon but my oil change is not due for another 2000km.

#7 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Clean out the boost control solenoid in the guard aswell. They gum up like a motherfucker.

How many k's on the motor.
Might be time for the bbod & vac line clean up.

#8 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Kong.I just hit 180,000km. UEC was last done at 170,000km but do you trust Repco service centres?

It's a random problem I've found. Turning the engine off and on again may not fix it

#9 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Sounds awfully similar to a mates WRX when it had a dodgy knock sensor. However that would 'flicker' the CEL randomly, sometimes on, sometimes off. It would boost but not fully. This can result in LIMP mode...

Open throttle on a B4 should be about 14psi on the primary, drops back to about 12 after VoD. On my auto anyway. Which is around 1bar, back to 0.8bar.

#10 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Sounds awfully similar to a mates WRX when it had a dodgy knock sensor. However that would 'flicker' the CEL randomly, sometimes on, sometimes off. It would boost but not fully. This can result in LIMP mode...

Open throttle on a B4 should be about 14psi on the primary, drops back to about 12 after VoD. On my auto anyway. Which is About 1bar, back to 0.8bar.

I need you to test drive my car and tell me if its running right... but you are a billion miles away...

2002 B4 Rev E

2004 Outback Premium 3.0R

#11 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Well that's assuming mine runs right :P its not perfect by any means. Did you end up installing a boost gauge? Very satisfying mod.

#12 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Well that's assuming mine runs right :P its not perfect by any means. Did you end up installing a boost gauge? Very satisfying mod.

Not yet... must do that... Adam's exhaust first, then tint from Shaz, then probably boost gauge... Seems like its necessary to know if TT are boosting right... :)

2002 B4 Rev E

2004 Outback Premium 3.0R

#13 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

It's so hard to trust anyone with servicing B4's imo. No one really seems to know shit about these cars.

It's funny that it's not boosting 100% and not giving a code. Can anyone confirm if a CEL is presented for a boost leak?

It can't hurt to check all your hose clamps from the intercooler/turbo/manifold.

Does sound like limp mode ...... for what reason though? Is your MAF clean or shitty black?

#14 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

It's only hard because you need a degree in engineering to understand how it works :P I'm sure people with Supra/GTR/300ZX etc etc all suffer from moron mechanic syndrome. It's unfortunately not as simple as most lego Subaru's, so probably surprises most of them going into it. But its not terrible either.

Our current mechanic sends his guys to study the latest stuff so they have some idea. Because they need to know how to work on hybrids, turbo cars, etc now. I always look for a clean workshop with modern gear. Usually an indicator that a moron or old school mechanic isn't running it.

In any case, they managed to service it without breaking it. I specified they don't do anything with the turbos/lines/black box unless the service manual says to do something there. He did pull the intercooler off and clean the throttle body etc, cause it has a new clamp. Runs as good as ever now, with a smoother gearbox. Would take it elsewhere for turbo work - or have a go myself heh.

#15 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Does sound like limp mode ...... for what reason though? Is your MAF clean or shitty black?

The sensor to the right of the air filter?

I drove 30km home.. Was boosting any chance I could...flogging 1st 2nd and 3rd gears on the highways and motorway and trying not to break the speed limit.

I must have hit redline at least 10 times and engaged the secondary turbo a dozen or so times.

No problem at all!
I was enjoying the "shoved back into the seat" at 5000+rpm.
:)

#16 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Sometimes you have to give it some stick just to blow out the cobwebs. Runs better after that. I find anyway :)

#17 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Yup it's on the pipe that comes out the top of the air filter box.

Have a look at my old DIY as it's all explained in there.

http://www.subyclub....ke-class-is-in/

#18 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sometimes you have to give it some stick just to blow out the cobwebs. Runs better after that. I find anyway :)

yeap...I gave it a good flogging down the motorway again today...boost is strong! I dunno. maybe something moved around the turbo system and clogged a sensor/tube for a while?

I will continue blowing out the cobwebs tomorrow :D

And will check the sensor too when I can find some electrical cleaning spray.

#19 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Agree - clean out all the vac lines to and from the BBOD. Clean all solenoids. Be careful what you use to clean, make sure its plastic safe. CO Contact cleaner is great stuff. Dont use the NF stuff, its not good for plastics.
Good to hear its cleared up, but unless you have cleaned something, chances are it will be back.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#20 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

When it does that back off the throttle and give again and see what happens.... Mine does that in top gear wont boost over 5 psi and when i back off it goes again....i think its the issue with the waste gate controller
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users