←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

The MY08 Liberty 2.5i Sleeper Project

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 19 Jun 2013

There's been a little scratching noise going on in my head for a while now. It's the modding bug clawing its way back into my life.

So, I've been coming up with a plan for the Lib, just to keep it interesting and more fun to drive. That being to create a rocket that looks like an unassuming stock 2.5i.

I'm not after huge power, so an engine conversion isn't necessary. Instead, I'm thinking supercharger.

The list so far looks like:
-Raptor Prostreet stage 1 supercharger
-440cc denso injectors
-ECU flash
-Gen 4 GT calipers and rotors
-Braided lines
-STI 6 speed box (Most likely stick with standard 5 spd with HD clutch kit for simplicity and cost cutting)
-Billies all round on Tein's or STI Pinks
-22mm whiteline sways, HD alloy links & ALK
-Front strut brace
-Custom made: tuned length headers, cat, centre pipe, resonator and rear mufflers with OEM GT or STI tips

After the dirty work is done, cosmetics will include resprayed front & rear bumpers & side skirts, refurbished rims, darker tint. Maybe some subtle features like monsoons and a lip will arrive after that.

aekOne's Photo aekOne 19 Jun 2013

Very interesting. Keen too see how it goes. What kind of results are others getting with the raptor kits?

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 19 Jun 2013

30-40% gains with a stage one kit.

aekOne's Photo aekOne 20 Jun 2013

With how much boost?

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 20 Jun 2013

Looking forward to your progress with this.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 20 Jun 2013

Wow, this will certainly be having my eyes pinned to see how it goes. I thought the whole 'untouched NA motors and forced induction' argument had been sorted out long ago. Lets hope this doesnt turn into another thread filled with it. But most importantly, I think we need a thread on this Kaos Monster. It sounds pretty crazy.

Morgan's Photo Morgan 20 Jun 2013

Cool!

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 20 Jun 2013

With how much boost?

The charger is 7psi.

Wow, this will certainly be having my eyes pinned to see how it goes. I thought the whole 'untouched NA motors and forced induction' argument had been sorted out long ago. Lets hope this doesnt turn into another thread filled with it. But most importantly, I think we need a thread on this Kaos Monster. It sounds pretty crazy.

Yeah, I thought that argument was done too. I've been watching the progress of a few Raptor 2.5 NA builds over the last few years and they are workling quite well. Problems seem to arise when trying to boost over 9psi.

MY08 2.5 Liberty NA with Stage 1 Raptor kit http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hX26LN-VMjI This build can be seen over on liberty.asn

Impreza RS 2.5 with 5.5 psi http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BvBAjmKDIzE

I'll sort out a build thread for the Kaos Monster a bit later as I don't have the pictures on me at the moment.

Harry88's Photo Harry88 20 Jun 2013

You had me at supercharged

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 20 Jun 2013

Is you car auto Chris? 

Pretty much not possible to convert a Gen4 auto to manual. Totally different trans tunnel.

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 20 Jun 2013

Is you car auto Chris? 

Pretty much not possible to convert a Gen4 auto to manual. Totally different trans tunnel.

Nah Mark, it's a manual.

vicelore's Photo vicelore 20 Jun 2013

Watching this !!

Liberty's Photo Liberty 20 Jun 2013

Awesome project man! Keen to see how this goes for you. +1 on the Kaos Monster too. :P

Jberg89's Photo Jberg89 20 Jun 2013

Woah just did some reading about it. Will be awesome upon completion...watching this for sure

SSIKness666's Photo SSIKness666 21 Jun 2013

How did you come to the conclusion for the Raptor Prostreet stage 1 supercharger over another SC brand?

Can you please list the other SC brands you looked into?

What does the price look like for the complete kit? A while back I got a quote from CAPA Performance racing for an approx total of $4000 inc. SC unit and universal pulleys but a bracket would have to be custom made. Does this sound reasonable?

Am watching this topic with keen interest.

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 23 Jun 2013

I want to go with Raptor as they have done a heap of research and development on several Suby's.
Their kit includes everything, including mounting brackets.

$4k sounds too expensive for a non-intercooler system.

SSIKness666's Photo SSIKness666 29 Jun 2013

How much are you looking at spending on the package? (not inc. labour)

Will you be installing yourself?

Did you consider a supercharged H6 or have you chosen the 2.5i for a reason? (manual trans standard)

What's the progress of this project?

Are you requiring:

time

money

resources

all of the above?

Thanks Chris.

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 30 Jun 2013

How much are you looking at spending on the package? (not inc. labour)

Will you be installing yourself?

Did you consider a supercharged H6 or have you chosen the 2.5i for a reason? (manual trans standard)

What's the progress of this project?

Are you requiring:
time
money
resources
all of the above?

Thanks Chris.

Hey mate.

I don't really have a budget, more so an idea that to do it properly it's going to cost a bit. I'd be lucky to get away with a $5k spend.

Yes, I'll be doing all of the work myself, with the help of my mate.

I'd gladly charge an H6 if I had one. My car is a 2.5i so I had little choice.

I guess progress is still in research and development stage. As in I have not ordered anything or installed anything, which leads into your final question;

I'm seriously lacking the time to do much about it at the moment.
With a demanding job, a two year old testing my patience, a boat getting restored and potential sale of the second boat, house demolitions upgrades and renovations going on, then you'll see why this one isn't going to be the highest thing on my priority list.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 05 Jul 2013

Awesome. Certainly interested to see this beasty. I understand the renos thing, been at it now 2 and a half years. Good luck man, remember to check licences of all trades you use. I didnt and paid the price. Dodgy workmanship that couldnt be repaired. Had to rip it all out and start again.

12.SLOW's Photo 12.SLOW 22 Jul 2013

pics be good