←  General

Suby Club

»

What to watch with the new engine..

vicelore's Photo vicelore 04 Jul 2013

Well guys. 

The engine is finished and running great..

Now ive come to the thaught of monitoring it.. Im really wanting to know what are the kind of gauges / meters I should look at getting to watch the engines critical movements..

Im assuming oil pressure / temp and a boost gauge.. Anything else ?

Morgan's Photo Morgan 04 Jul 2013

Have you heard of ECUDatascan? We had a group buy about 18 months ago and it's an awesome little product.

Plugs into the obdII port and you can read a whole bunch of info off it. Can also read and clear error codes.

Sometimes the software plays up but after an update, it's worker perfectly for me.

I also have a separate boost gauge for awesomeness.

Mosti's Photo Mosti 04 Jul 2013

Air/fuel ratios?

SAV84C's Photo SAV84C 04 Jul 2013

Water temp, A/F gauge

Depending how much u wanna spend u can get an A/F and boost in 1

Have you heard of ECUDatascan? We had a group buy about 18 months ago and it's an awesome little product.

Plugs into the obdII port and you can read a whole bunch of info off it. Can also read and clear error codes.

Sometimes the software plays up but after an update, it's worker perfectly for me.

I also have a separate boost gauge for awesomeness.

Only one problem with these now is there is no way of getting in contact since his website got hacked...

Get a bluetooth dongle for the OBD port and use Torque App if you have andriod...

Guest_KONG_* 04 Jul 2013

Pedestrians.... watch out for pedestrians ;)

jakefake's Photo jakefake 17 Jul 2013

Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and Water Temp, are the ones you want on your gauges, with a boost gauge on the steering column. 

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 18 Jul 2013

A/F ratio is nice, but not really useful unless you have it plugged into a wide band sensor. I say oil pressure/oil temp/boost. Look into a small carputer/ipad install for the dash if you want to move into electronic full time monitoring, its the best way to make it look nice without having your phone propped up somewhere looking out of place

The things you want to watch when using the electronic side of things is generally knock correction, knock level, engine (or injector, depending on what your ECU calls it) loading, plus all the other ones mentioned above. There were a few others my tuner logged while doing the on road checks, but I cant remember them all.

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 18 Jul 2013

Did you end up getting that ECU thing working mate?

Essential is a Boost Gauge.. Its not just there for **** factor.

A/F would be nice if you have a WideBand?

I am not sure about Oil Pressure and Temps.. maybe an Oil Temp/Water Temp but unless you are going to be doing constant track work i would try to keep the gauges to a minimum and simply use the ODB2 reader/logger for Track Days etc..