←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

Does my car have an OBD2 port? gen 3 liberty

TittySprinklez's Photo TittySprinklez 14 Aug 2013

title says it all, does my 02 gen 3 liberty have an OBD2 port? theres an app for the nexus 7 called torque that i wouldn't mind getting that uses a bluetooth OBD2 dongle thing. 

cheers 

luke

nickknack's Photo nickknack 14 Aug 2013

yes it has an obd2 port, no you won't be able to read anything with torque

jack_keaka's Photo jack_keaka 14 Aug 2013

this is a subject i have asked myself before. interested in a more elaborate answer

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 14 Aug 2013

The port itself is just under the bonnet release, just under the lower lip of the dash.

The only thing that will read the early model OBDII is tactrix (which is not wireless, and given the location of the port, is a pain in the arse to leave it plugged in while driving).

Even then you are EXTREMELY limited in what sensors it will read. I think from memory you have 12 or 14, where most of the turbo models for similar years have at least 25 (and even those are running small amounts compared to later models)

Give up trying to find anything else that will read the early OBDII compliant subarus (besides the expensive all-in-one scantools, which again, aren't wireless). They run on a very little used standard that has been made redundant for many years now, so no-one programs their apps to read that standard anymore.

Hope this helps explain it a bit.

Cheers,

Ben

My OBDkey will read it, because it's compatible with SSM, and it's wireless, but none of the cheap dongles will. It just won't work with torque.

TittySprinklez's Photo TittySprinklez 14 Aug 2013

ah ok, thanks for that, save me taking my dash apart looking for it haha, 

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 14 Aug 2013

Have tried everything to get my car to work with obd2 software. As Nicknak said, you need an SSM compatible device to read anything.

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 14 Aug 2013

Have tried everything to get my car to work with obd2 software. As Nicknak said, you need an SSM compatible device to read anything.

Im pretty sure torque was updated to work with SSM. Not sure if theres a difference between liberty and impreza SSM though

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 14 Aug 2013

(besides the expensive all-in-one scantools, which again, aren't wireless). 

Cheers,

Ben

Even these have their limitations with early OBDII subies.

Im pretty sure torque was updated to work with SSM. Not sure if theres a difference between liberty and impreza SSM though

It's meant to. All I could read was the model of my car though. Not very handy for real time monitoring

My02xs's Photo My02xs 15 Aug 2013

VAG com cable and Freessm software works on both my gen 3`s for clearing codes and basic live data. But my scanguage only works on my 02 h6 outback not my 01 rx Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 15 Aug 2013

What key do you use Nick? curious, I may invest in that one if it reads SSM and is wireless. Looking for one at present.

nickknack's Photo nickknack 15 Aug 2013

It's called OBDkey, it's meant to work with SSM but I've only tried with torque, no logging programs so I can't guarantee anything. Happy to sell you mine, I have no use for it anymore.

This is what I have http://www.obdkey.co...etooth_info.asp