←  General

Suby Club

»

Fake airbox

vicelore's Photo vicelore 27 Aug 2013

SO the time has come for me to take the car in to have its engine numbers updated.

From the people ive spoken to this shouldnt be to much of a issue and hopefully they just take it that its a 2 liter turbo going into a chassis that did come with a 2 liter turbo.. And ill be done with it..

But im trying to make the bay look as stock as possible.

this is how it looks but with a new battery now.. all black.. 

Capture_zpscb8f7530.jpg

so im thinking i might make up a air pod cover using the origional airbox.. as in just trim out the bottom.. and slide it over it.

It seems to match up pretty perfectly and i think it should fit.. 

Anyone done similar ? and got any pics ?? 

Im assuming if i have the bottom fully open intake shouldnt be a problem for driving ? I may just slap it on for the inspection.

Matt's Photo Matt 27 Aug 2013

i was going to attempt this but never got around to it....a had a larger CAI pipe though

simon's Photo simon 27 Aug 2013

Im assuming if i have the bottom fully open intake shouldnt be a problem for driving ? I may just slap it on for the inspection.

I've tried this, not to long ago with my RS & it is not a easy as it seems. You will be (as I was) very limited with space, with the intercooler pipe running into the guard (mine is the same). You chop so much of the standard air box away to make it fit, that their isn't much left. 

Well.. ive got it lieing around so im gonna give it a go tonight.. what you use to chop it ? I obvously want it to look as good as possible

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 27 Aug 2013

Stock airbox wont fit where your pod is.. the stock filter sits behind the throttle body.. best bet is to just make a simple box / cover that bolts down as secure as possible and make it too much effort to remove to check for pod.

Have you had your engine number swapped yet man ?

I think its the front part of the air intake im gonna use.. not the part that fits the filter itself.. 

Sam's Photo Sam 27 Aug 2013

I used a 4L paint can, chopped a hole in it and cut a hole in the bottom and painted it black. Perfect.

i cant see your pics...but wheres your pod?? is it in the bay?? or in the guard

Its in the bay mate.. the hole to the guard is full of inter cooler piping.

This 

Untitled_zps48ea9b57.png

actually just saw them on my phone...youll struggle to get anything over that and looking stock....too bad your fmic piping used that hole as id just get a cai and problem would be solved

I eye`d it up yesterday and i think this piece of plastic will slide over it just.. And it has a mount exactly where a hole is in the guard and exactly where the piping needs to enter it.. It may move the pod a few inches but i think it will fit..

simon's Photo simon 27 Aug 2013

Well.. ive got it lieing around so im gonna give it a go tonight.. what you use to chop it ? I obvously want it to look as good as possible

I dremel'ed it.

SAV84C's Photo SAV84C 27 Aug 2013

Im sure I mentioned this before in someone elses thread...

Just make one like my brother did...

From this

IMG_3729.jpg

To this...

IMG_3732_zpsa1f009ea.jpg

Used mdf as a mould, coated it with wax then fiberglassed it

IMG_3740_zpse1dd0591.jpg

That turned out really nice dude.. Never done fiberglass before...

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 27 Aug 2013

That airbox is winning!

I made one for a previous car very similar.

IMGP1047.jpg

Get some 1mm alloy sheet. Easy to work with and bend at home. I made cardboard templates first.