9 replies to this topic

#1 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

SO im about to swap my engine numbers over for the conversion but got a question.

Be it all goes well and they swap the numbers without a engineers cert.. 

Im not worried about getting defected. But the much worse case where you crash and your insurance company says the cars unroadworthy.. And your left with a massive debt.. 

My question.. when and who is it that would deem the car un roadworthy ?? be it my car has matching Vin and engine numbers to the rego listed at vic roads and Ive emailed a full listing of my mods to my insurance company ( was done when taking out my policy as it increased the value greatly..) 

So im assuming they would be covered ?? 

Only time ive ever claimed on insurance all i had done was a panel beater take pics of the body dmg and Vin number that was it..

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

My take on it, is that if it's on the policy, it's covered.

Eg. if you have a sports exhaust, don't put it on your policy and have an accident, they'll replace it with a standard exhaust.

If you have a sports exhaust, put it on your policy and have an accident, they'll replace it with a sports exhaust.

...or at least give you the deemed value of the exhaust so you can replace it yourself.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

Id just hate to crash up the ass of a 100k soccer mum in a X5 and have the cops look at it and go .. 

Atermarket exhaust and turbo .. no over priced emissions test and engineers cert.. Insurance void and have a massive debt for the next 5 years.. 

Even tho ive processed the engine conversion thru vic roads and listed all mods to the insurance company.. 

#4 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

I don't know 100% myself as this is also my first modified car. But I am insured with Justcar and have listed with them what I have done.

But the way they put it is they cover umlimited "legal" mods, So the way I understand it is the conversion is not legal till I get an engineers cert for it. So they could turn around and say it wasn't road legal.

Though states may be different

#5 dja

dja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Tits

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

The above info is close.

But you need to read your product disclosure statement.

that is the only way you will know 100%, its in black and white

#6 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Im assuming most people here would be legally un roadworthy..  given from what been told from my engineer even a exhaust upgrade without emisions test is unroadworthy.. 

and yes they can be had cheap in other states but start at $1500 in vic as we have a differnet test from what ive read...

#7 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

unless someone is killed or you hit a $100,000 Car in 99.9% of cases you will be covered

even if you killed someone, the TAC would pay that (its part of our rego here unlike in NSW where they have CTP they have to pay)

Unless you are involved in a criminal investigation as part of the accident then your ok..
the other problem you can run into is if you have an accident and the other party involved is uninsured and wants to sue you as they argue you are at fault. then they could have their lawyers and expert consultants have your car audited to ensure it was road worthy.. if there is something like undersized brakes or wrong wheels.. something that directly affects the "Safety" of the car then you could be in trouble.
but that could happen driving your mums astra.. that has the wrong load rating tyres, blown tail light. etc.. 

as DJA says, check your WHOLE PDS but above is about the jist of things as far as i know after working for a Insurance broker for a while.

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#8 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Nothing to worry about then by the sounds of it

#9 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

I think, and I could be wrong about this, that if the insurance company deems your car to be un-roadworthy, they also have to prove that it was the fact your car was un-roadworthy that caused the collision before they can void your insurance...

If you ran up the back of someone, they can't turn around and say that the insurance is void because you havn't done an emissions test.  The emissions test has nothing to do with the fact you were tailgating...

However if one of your 40in' rims causes the whole axle and hub to shear off the car and the wheel goes bouncing into oncoming traffic and causes a crash, then they would probably have a strong case to void your insurance...

Many moons ago, I hit the back of a parked cop car (clap clap dum dum) in a somewhat modified corolla.  I only had 3rd party property insurance, but they paid up without asking any questions, in fact they didn't even look at my car once.

#10 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

i only saw one case of this kind of thing happening and it was because someone without insurance hit the back of a old classic merc 80k+ claim

the uninsured driver claimed the merc had a blown Taillight.

The insurance company sent out their investigator, sent the smashed globes off to be analysed and the globes were found to be lit when smashed.

(the element in the globe has microscopic differences in how it breaks depending on if it was heated or not)

this cost was passed on and the claim became 90k+.. Lawyers and Investigators etc.. 

this is the only time i have seen it.

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users