←  Anything Goes

Suby Club

»

Hydrogen cars

HowFarToAsgaard's Photo HowFarToAsgaard 29 Aug 2013

Just wana know what everyone's thoughts are about this topic
As fuel prices rise and governments pretending that they care about the environment, why is it that such a promising technology doesn't get the attention it deserves?
I haven't read much about the science behind it and how we are going to use it or how they will generate the fuel in the first place.
So if anyone's interested or is all over this subject let us know.
Only real reason I can see why it doesn't get the attention it should is that if it is 100% effective and efficient, oil company's would be out of business and cause market chaos world wide.
It's the same case when it comes to plasma fusion energy. Why are we not talking about it?

B4TT's Photo B4TT 29 Aug 2013

Hey mate, I honestly think it is basically down to the oil companies.

Until they find a way that they can profit from it as much as they do from oil I doubt you will see any real large scale commercial operations around it.

Just my thoughts!

There my thoughts aswell
So it's either the government is ignorant and thinks carbon taxing is the answer or they are all in on it.
The amount of money the government makes off fuels and oils sorta makes me think there in on it. But if that's that case, why is no one asking these questions of suspicion. Is it a good thing that they make money off it ?
I think if its true, then it's one of the biggest coverups in history

yannsB4's Photo yannsB4 29 Aug 2013

Watched a documentary a few years back where some teenage geniuses actually got an old car to run on water. Was a great idea.

The conspiracy theory is that the oil companies bought the rights to the idea and design and shelved it so that it didnt become a threat to the oil industry.

I'm inclined to believe it.

In terms of hydrogen, while it's the most abundant element in the universe, it's almost impossible to isolate it from anything else, which makes it hard. People dont like to work, so nothing ever gets done.

Samwise's Photo Samwise 29 Aug 2013

It's happening in California..

http://www.driveclea...n_Fuel_Cell.php

B4TT's Photo B4TT 29 Aug 2013

Yeah, BMW, Mazda just to name two both have Hydrogen/petrol cars.

http://en.wikipedia..../BMW_Hydrogen_7

http://en.wikipedia....X-8_Hydrogen_RE

yannsB4's Photo yannsB4 29 Aug 2013

It is hapenig, but wont replace petrol/ diesel any time soon.

Step in the right direction I spose

The way i see it, hybrid technology is good R&D for manufactures if hydrogen was there goal, and not upsetting the oil industry
I think the way it's gonna go is that they will start useig hydrogen hybrids instead of battery's. and eventually just have hydrogen. There's no way though that we can switch to hydrogen over night, even if its posible. But I think it's safe to say that we don't need oil, but the economy dose.

Brett's Photo Brett 29 Aug 2013

It's frustrating. Hydrogen technology is there. It's a clean source of power. But we don't use it simply because the oil companies can't profit from it yet. Personally I think if governments were serious about reducing carbon emissions, they'd be pushing to get this off the ground. Start developing the infrastructure so that petrol/diesel can be phased out. Fark batteries. They aren't the answer. I'm pretty sure we've all heard how expensive they are to manufacture and how hard they are to dispose of once theyre finished with.

R-Y's Photo R-Y 30 Aug 2013

I read somewhere along time ago now that the process of creating pure hydrogen was basically on par with getting petrol from oil.

My 2c is the oil industry suppressing it to gain $$$$

acres's Photo acres 30 Aug 2013

Looking at the tech from a great distance Hydrogen seems to be the obvious answer to the crude oil replacement. Battery hybrids and these new plug in cars just seem fundamentally flawed. As has already been said disposing of the spent batteries and the initial mining for the materials is hardly environmentally friendly nor cost effective. Surely the oil companies and the governments could still make plenty of profit from the hydrogen though. I mean you would still have to buy the Hydrogen to fuel the cars wouldn't you? The Hydrogen would still have to be 'refined' and I'm sure the sales could still be taxed to the high heavens to keep the governments in the loop.

Kind of seems like there is more to it than just an oil company conspiracy.