Photo

1.1 bar vs 1.3 bar radiator cap

sti radiator cap 1.3 bar 1.1 bar

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: What radiator cap do you think is best for a stock Subaru Liberty? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What radiator cap do you think is best for a stock Subaru Liberty?

1. Stock 1.1 bar radiator cap (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. STi 1.3 bar radiator cap (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

After diagnosing my overheating problem which seemed to have been caused by a busted valve in my radiator cap, I am now needing a new one. I have read a few topics here and there all over the Internet with advantages and disadvantages, but most have been heresay and there aren't many facts to back up what people have posted about in their statements especially when it comes to Subaru's.

In order for me to make a decision, and to benefit others that are in a similar situation, what exactly are the advantages and disadvantages of having the 1.3 bar radiator cap over the 1.1 bar one in my stock Liberty 3.0R SpecB?

Please provide as many facts as possible. I do understand that various people have opinions on STi products especially with regards to their price, but try and keep your posts neutral and without bias.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#2 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

do you track the car? do you have an aftermarket radiator? why do you want to raise the boiling point of your cars cooling system?

rest of cooling system is not designed for higher pressure and higher boiling point so don't do it.

keep it simple, keep it stock.

MY07 GT spec B

#3 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

rest of cooling system is not designed for higher pressure and higher boiling point so don't do it.

This. Ive heard they blow stock radiators as they're just plastic

tIeW8DE.png

#4 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Buy replacement stock cap. Then add this sticker :D

http://www.ebay.com....=item2c5d26dc47

#5 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Can't get an STi cap for the H6's anyways. I put a 1.3 bar ARC one on the wife's H6 - didn't do a thing and has been on a lot of 2/3/4 hour drives.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

Just put the stock one on Gaz.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#7 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

I will take everyone's advice and go with the stock radiator cap. Thanks for your input everyone, much appreciated. I am trying to grab one off a SubyClub member as we speak, but if that doesn't go ahead, I will just go to Subaru and buy one. They shouldn't be expensive.

Ha ha! I saw those stickers on Facebook as well. It'd defeat the purpose of not getting the STi radiator cap to begin with Haz.

Cheers guys!

Please, anyone, feel free to use this topic for discussion about the different radiator caps available for a Subaru.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#8 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

I agree. Stock is the way to go. I'm thinking quite hard about switching mine back the standard 1.1bar cap. The 1.3 STi cap has made the return coolant line on the turbo weep, loosing about a litre every 6 months. The clamp on the line is not designed for the added pressure. If you go through and change out all the squeeze clamps for normal hose clamps you can get away with it, but the squeeze clamps aren't good enough for that pressure.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#9 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the useful information mate. I bought a stock genuine radiator cap from Subaru this afternoon and will be putting it on after flushing my system tomorrow afternoon.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#10 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

I have a 1.3 bar.  Never had an issue with it. 

#11 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

The way I see it: An engineer has been paid good money to work out that we need 1.1bar caps and the same goes for the fancy sti's needing 1.3 bar.

I would rather the excess pressure just get put in my overflow instead of blowing up something like a heater core or hard to get to hose ;)

If you want to be fancy, Just buy a $3 sticker from hong kong and pick up a brand new OEM replacement.

Just my opinion/knowledge.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#12 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Which counts man. That's the reason I opened up the topic. Thanks for your input. ;)

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sti, radiator, cap, 1.3 bar, 1.1 bar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users