←  Electrical/Electronics

Suby Club

»

Are thermo fans sequential?

Guest_KONG_* 30 Sep 2013

A quick quiz for the Guru's...

Do the radiator thermo fans turn on sequentially or should they be simultaneous? 

I tried googling for an answer but I had no luck. I would assume & also hope they are sequentially activated.

I recently changed the thermostat and whilst bleeding the system for air I noticed only the passenger side fan was activating once it reached temperature. I'm curious because the internal temperature gauge was sitting in the normal operating area and in the past (whilst driving) it never goes any higher than that. 

Is my driver side thermo fan inactive?

Cheers,

Whitebossjoshkong

Robert's Photo Robert 30 Sep 2013

I know on my car it's dependant on the conditions.
How fast is the car going, engine temp and is the ac on.

Normally one fan comes on when it reaches temp and goes on and off as your temp varies. on a hot day both fans may come on especially when stoped. And I'm sure both fans will come on when the ac is turned on.

That's my understanding of It anyway.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 30 Sep 2013

One of the B4 fans is the radiator fan, the other is the AC fan. So when the compressor cuts in, the AC fan (I think its the right hand fan) will start as well. The radiator fan has its own controller, and I am not sure on the commands it needs to start.

Guest_KONG_* 30 Sep 2013

Good stuff.  

Cheers lads.  :D

migoreng's Photo migoreng 30 Sep 2013

Hey boss.. correct.

Left fan spins to cool the radiator. Both fans spin when the air con is on.

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 30 Sep 2013

23714d1337620099-drivers-side-cooling-fa

or

radiator-fan-control-chart1.gif

I thought i had posted this stuff up before but anyway..

the first is for later models.. 

the second is a basic guide for ALL models

LPM_B4's Photo LPM_B4 30 Sep 2013

I know on my car it's dependant on the conditions.
How fast is the car going, engine temp and is the ac on.

Normally one fan comes on when it reaches temp and goes on and off as your temp varies. on a hot day both fans may come on especially when stoped. And I'm sure both fans will come on when the ac is turned on.

That's my understanding of It anyway.

this was my understanding after my overheating saga 

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 30 Sep 2013

Wow, thats a nice bit of info, cheers for that, I didnt realise they were controlled to that degree.

vicelore's Photo vicelore 01 Oct 2013

Mine just crank full power constantly lol..

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 01 Oct 2013

:blink: 

Remind me never to help you out with anything ECU related haha..

My old ECU was faulty and wasn't triggering the main fan until the SubFan was meant to kick in too.. so it would basically overheat constantly unless i drove with the AC on constantly..

when i put my PFC in.. perfect fan control... 87Deg always..
if i'm boosting hard then pull up to a stop.. the temp lifts to 91, one fan turns on.

Another note.. if you want to test your fans.. connect the green plugs under the dash.. ignition on.. 
Fans should operate like this...

Main Low sub Off

Main Low Sub Low

main HIGH sub HIGH

All Off

Repeat

Vice, Sounds like yours might actually have a bad CTS (Coolant temp sensor) if its not connected or open it will operate all fans on full

vicelore's Photo vicelore 01 Oct 2013

I think they just wired it to go full 24/7.. Dosent bother me.