12 replies to this topic

#1 Weso

Weso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Gym, Subies and taking things apart

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hey guys, i currently have a Gen 3 NA rx liberty and halfway through next year i finally get my opens and can go from NA to a turbo.

I am currently in the great debate over whether to get a a Forrester or a WRX/turbo liberty. I love corners so i was wondering what the handling is like in comparison between the forrester lowered and a sedan.

any and all input welcome!

IMG 5427

574914 10151465982585789 1986020689 N
Subaru Fans, always willing to go the extra mile ;)

#2 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

Wagons rule. 

Buy a forester if you need the extra room and want smaller insurance bills. They can handle ok with some small mods, It will always be a forester though. 

Buy a wrx sedan if you don't need the room, Expect to pay more for insurance. Most of these have had a hard life, Be careful when looking.

Buy a wrx hatch if you would like the option of some room, Insurance bill will be higher again. Good all rounder.

Buy a liberty if you like doing your make up and going out for a night of cocktails, Dancing and chatting up other blokes. want to stay under the radar and have a good all rounder. Don't buy a B4, Ever. Gen4 GT's are good value these days. Or even find a single turbo conversion that hasn't been done dodgy.

Enjoy.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#3 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

ive had a wrx

http://www.subyclub....ge-2?hl=cameron

and i now have a forester

http://www.subyclub....ury/?hl=cameron

forester shits all over the wrx. The driveablility of the 2.5 is heaps better than the 2l i find with the extra torque. Handling i cant comment as the wrx had coilovers, swaybars and strutbraces and the forester doesnt.

In terms of a daily in the forester i can go to bunnings, woolies, beach and throw in anything i want without worrying what ill scratch or damage as theres heaps of room + factory roof racks. The seats dont fold down in 01-07 sedans only the stupid ski port hole. The Forester is understated noone takes a second look at it its just another car on the road = Forester has cheaper insurance.

Only liberty id buy is a gen4 gt-b

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#4 Weso

Weso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

Wagons rule. 

Buy a forester if you need the extra room and want smaller insurance bills. They can handle ok with some small mods, It will always be a forester though. 

Buy a wrx sedan if you don't need the room, Expect to pay more for insurance. Most of these have had a hard life, Be careful when looking.

Buy a wrx hatch if you would like the option of some room, Insurance bill will be higher again. Good all rounder.

Buy a liberty if you like doing your make up and going out for a night of cocktails, Dancing and chatting up other blokes. want to stay under the radar and have a good all rounder. Don't buy a B4, Ever. Gen4 GT's are good value these days. Or even find a single turbo conversion that hasn't been done dodgy.

Enjoy.

HAHA thanks ;) haha yea thats what i have been weighing up. the pros and cons of how versatile the wagon is compared to the sedans. I dont want a hatch. i personally think they are more of a girls car. no offence to those females who have the hot hatches.

and yea. the 2.5 is winning me haha. What is the weight differences between them? couldnt be much more than 100kgs. If i did get the forrester id definitely go all out on suspension and have it lower than stock.

I have 6- 8 months to choose and save haha. so il see how i go.

IMG 5427

#5 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

I've owned a WRX hatch (GD), A Forester XT and now a Forester GT. All of them have had work done and been tuned.

I don't like the 2.5, They have a terrible piston design. The only good thing is a semi closed deck block if you want to get your forged goodness on later.

Yes the torque is good. But I'm back in a 2.0 with a proper set up and it's fantastic.

What is your budget?

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#6 Weso

Weso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

HAHA oops on the girls car comment :P umm 10-15k of course if i can get what i want for cheaper awesome. I wont have an exact budget till mid next yea but that is what i am currently looking at spending.

IMG 5427

#7 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

everything depends on budget but 10-15k will get you an 02/03 STI these days which if you can get a clean one is a great package and someone will most likely have already done swaybars and suspension. depends on what you need practicality wise

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#8 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Where are these 10-15k GD STI's? :P

Expect to pay 17K+ for a ok one.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#9 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

http://www.rexnet.co..._1#entry2472015

#10 Weso

Weso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Yea exactly. Mind you i do think that forresters look great!

IMG 5427

#11 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Slapper.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#12 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

i own a liberty GT in a sedan. loved it, but after a few years owning it ive decided to change and go to a wrx wagon. just a personal reason as i want a change of looks and something different. 

never had any unwanted attention and always loved the look of the liberty. doesnt stand out like a wrx

#13 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Rugby league, surfing, cars, music (Rise Against)

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Wish my old man bought a GT like yours mark, instead he bought a cruise, biggest face palm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wrx, forrester, wrxvsforrester, comparison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users