←  Electrical/Electronics

Suby Club

»

New Speakers?

JDWhiteWRX's Photo JDWhiteWRX 25 Oct 2013

Hi Guys,

I put a new head unit in the Outback yesterday (JVC KW900BT) and it sounds pretty good with the standard speakers believe it or not. Anyway I have some MY11 wrx speakers to try out so I put one of them in at the front and then played with the balance to compare the sound between them and the factory speakers.

Now I was expecting an improvement but they actually sound worse than the tired old outback speakers, I would say a less full sound, not as much bass or mid bass a bit tinny.

Not sure if its worth fitting them now or just buy something new?

wrx speakers on the left, outback on the right.

P1010242.jpg

Harry88's Photo Harry88 25 Oct 2013

Buy something new if you don't like the factory speakers.

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 25 Oct 2013

The speakers in my gen 2 are the factory clarions and i reckon theyre pretty damn good. Maybe because the outback ones are clarion and the newer ones appear to be a no name brand?

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 25 Oct 2013

Played with the hi pass filters and stuff like that at all?

Played with the hi pass filters and stuff like that at all?

Not much, I just used the basic generic settings which allows you to select the speaker size.

If I'm going to buy something new then I want something that sounds good listening to rock music and metal, I will have to go listen to some speakers I think. I might buy a sub first, was thinking abut one of those Focal ibus20 subs for under the seat.

Tim.'s Photo Tim. 25 Oct 2013

Something that sounds good?

Sounds like you need an amp, splits up front, a sub and some sound deadening material.

Something that sounds good?

Sounds like you need an amp, splits up front, a sub and some sound deadening material.

Yeah I am wanting a nice sounding system, doesn't need to be loud or enter competitions, just sound good. I bought that head unit as its decent enough to build on ( has 3 pairs of RCA outs) but obviously I can't afford to just go out and buy everything at once so now I'm just thinking of what to buy next.

Sound deadening is already done.

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 26 Oct 2013

I assume sound deadening was done prior to swapping to the wrx speakers?

JDWhiteWRX's Photo JDWhiteWRX 26 Oct 2013

Yes and I also swapped one in before changing the head unit. I thought the new more powerful head unit may be better matched to the new speakers but it wasn't.

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 26 Oct 2013

An Amp makes a HUUUGEE difference with the stock speakers. Although my factory ones are in much better condition than yours... They sound terrific once amped. Maybe try throwing an amp on before giving the WRX speakers a flick. Once my current speakers give up, I'll most likely just replace them with some standard OEM Subaru ones, like the McIntosh ones from the Gen 4's.

JDWhiteWRX's Photo JDWhiteWRX 26 Oct 2013

Turns out they don't fit in my rear doors so I won't be using them anyway. I think I will grab the sub first, as I said its sounds pretty good now, I was just expecting the wrx speakers to make it sound better.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 28 Oct 2013

Looking at those outback speakers, I'd be replacing them before amping. The rings are knackered.