5 replies to this topic

#1 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

Hey guys, Putting in new struts today, need help on getting a CV back into the front left hub. Dont ask how it came out i cbf explaining right now i just need the shaft in the hole (:P) so i can use mmy car tomorrow. So how the fark do you get the stupid cnut into the hub again?!?! Help appreciated. Cheers, Ash

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

You might have to disconnect it from the front diff first (by knocking out the spring pin), put it in to the hub then back on to the diff. You'll probably have to disconnect the control arm if you haven't already to get that done. Let me know if you need anymore info, and let me know how you go.

#3 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

what about a hammer? would that work? Its that little circlet thats giving us the problemos, its just getting that F**ker back in and were fine.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#4 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

Yes, Hammer is just what the doctor ordered. You may need to put something in there to get it out (ie. flat head screw-driver) but be gentle, and make sure whatever you put against the pin to knock it out is not too wide for the hole.

#5 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

tbh none of us wanna take the whole shaft out. We've got it slightly in the hub but that little circlet is stopping us from getting it in nice and deep lol. Any ideas with getting that circlet thingo in the hub??

#6 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

Right well, these are the instructions to what you are doing. Refitting is the reverse of this - so I suspect you'll have to take it out.

Remove the wheel cover (if you've got hub caps) and loosen the driveaxle nut. Just break the nut loose at this time, if it is loosened too much or removed with the wheel on the ground, the front hub bearings can be damaged.

Loosen the wheel lug nuts, raise the vehicle and place it on stands.

Remove the wheel.

Disconnect the control arm from the steering knuckle.

Remove the driveaxle nut, then pull the driveaxle assemble out of the steering knuckle. Make sure you don't damage the lip of the inner steering knuckle seal. If the outer CV joint splines are stuck in the hub, knock the driveaxle lose with a hammer and punch. If that doesn't break the splines loose, remove the break disc and push the drive axle from the hub using a two jaw puller.

Locate the spring pin that locks the inner end of the driveaxle assembly to the differential side gear shaft. Knock out the spring pin.

Disengage the inner end of the driveaxle from the transaxle.

Refitting notes:

You should use a new spring pin each time you undertake this to lock the inner CV joint to the differential stub shaft.

Tighten the driveaxle nut as securely as you can with the vehicle raised, then refit the wheel and lug nuts and lower the car. Tighten the driveaxle nut to the correct torque which is 167 to 204 nM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users