• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

have been hunting around VWGolf.net.au for a while as I have been looking at a Golf for to replace a slow '09 Nissan Micra. The wife has always loved these things but always told myself they are really expensive to fix etc. Then I decided to give them a chance, Found this GTI and went to look at it 2 days after it was listed. I fell in love straight away.

20131118_194854_zps1c277930.jpg
20131118_194804_zps866102f6.jpg
20131118_194849_zpsdb77f24f.jpg
20131118_194838_zpsf82c5cf9.jpg
20131118_194816_zpsb4957e3c.jpg
20131118_194908_zpsb1a4b485.jpg
20131118_194916_zpsc6b51fca.jpg

Don't have anything planned for it yet, Had it for 3 hours and already washed and did a little detail before the sun went down. Looking at tunes etc. for it, but at the end of the day it is for the wife.

Well that's it for now, let me know what you think!

#2 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

LOL

#3 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Your driveway still looks like a house at Kambah...

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#4 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

Nice man.

I do like these even though they're hard/expensive to work on.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#5 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

Very nice cars! Congrats on the purchase :)

Out of curiosity, what are these things going for these days?

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#6 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

As long as it doesn't have a DSG, it should be a good car!

#7 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

Your driveway still looks like a house at Kambah...

Lol it always will, I think im making the street look bad lol.

Nice man.

I do like these even though they're hard/expensive to work on.

Yeah I have always like them, its very nice to drive.

Very nice cars! Congrats on the purchase :)

Out of curiosity, what are these things going for these days?

Well I got this one for $13,000 with 110,000km major service already done. 4 new tyres.

As long as it doesn't have a DSG, it should be a good car!

It does have DSG lol, as the wife has no interest in driving manual. Though I have look up all the problems and how to tell if they are forked. This one seems fine but hopefully it never explodes as its very expensive to get a new one. But I am planning on this being the wifes daily driver forever so if it doesn't break within the first 8 year it shouldn't be too bad hahaha. Though I have heard mixed things about DSG, some people have never had problems some have had nothing but problems.

#8 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

So I just realised I forgot to read the first post, Since I copied it from another forum... have edited first post lol.

#9 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

At the next service just make sure the DSG's firmware is up to date and oil and filters have been changed recently. It's amazing the gearbox has it's own service schedule!

A mate of mine has a mk5 GTi and the DSG just has trouble picking gears going into and coming out of a corner. Sounds tits when it's on full song and shifting though! That torque steer.

#10 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

What year is it mate? The 05's came With forged internals from factory. Have a look at the APR gear for them. The tunes and exhaust are expensive, but having driven a friends one with APR stage 2 tune, APR dump pipe, full 3 inch exhaust and APR intake, I must say it is very nice and pretty quick. The APR tune makes the DSG shift a little harder/ faster as well. I think he said 150-60 atw. Check the PCV valve by pulling out the dipstick or opening the oil filler cap, if it starts idling funny, means it's on its way out as they are a common problem. Make sure you do regular upper engine cleaners too, the way the fuel injection is set up means that the back of the valves and intake get covered in heavy carbon build up and is an expensive fix.

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#11 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

At the next service just make sure the DSG's firmware is up to date and oil and filters have been changed recently. It's amazing the gearbox has it's own service schedule!

A mate of mine has a mk5 GTi and the DSG just has trouble picking gears going into and coming out of a corner. Sounds tits when it's on full song and shifting though! That torque steer.

Will do mate, Thanks for the heads up. Did alot of research on it before buying, I was surprised the guy has had the little problems fixed already e.g. cam follower, air-con compressor etc. Though he was taking it to a eurotech in sydney for its service and I guess they would know about all the little problems they had. Yeah when I took it for the first test drive I played with the DSG to make sure it was shifting right and wasn't clunking etc. seems really smooth and no roughness of changing gears. They must have fixed them up a little in the newer models, the 2013 Caddy at work gets alot of punishment and never had any problems lol.

What year is it mate? The 05's came With forged internals from factory. Have a look at the APR gear for them. The tunes and exhaust are expensive, but having driven a friends one with APR stage 2 tune, APR dump pipe, full 3 inch exhaust and APR intake, I must say it is very nice and pretty quick. The APR tune makes the DSG shift a little harder/ faster as well. I think he said 150-60 atw. Check the PCV valve by pulling out the dipstick or opening the oil filler cap, if it starts idling funny, means it's on its way out as they are a common problem. Make sure you do regular upper engine cleaners too, the way the fuel injection is set up means that the back of the valves and intake get covered in heavy carbon build up and is an expensive fix.

its a 2006, so missed out on the forged internals from the info I found before buying it. Planning on keeping it as is for a some time to get use to it then will start putting some money into it lol, the wife won't even know ;) It didn't seem to when I checked this before buying it, but it was warmed up already.

#12 adzybug

adzybug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Mate I feel for you. They are good cars don't get me wrong but being a qualified VW mechanic I am worried for you cause ive seen what can go wrong and when it does it goes REALLY wrong. With the DSG just make sure your mechatronics has no outstanding software updates cause there is one available. Your lucky the 2009 to 2011 models are the ones with all the issues and they have all been recalled, ive changed like 30 so far. If you have any enquires or problems feel free to ask cause 9/10 times ive probably seen it before. :)

"For The Love Of Boost"

#13 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Mate I feel for you. They are good cars don't get me wrong but being a qualified VW mechanic I am worried for you cause ive seen what can go wrong and when it does it goes REALLY wrong. With the DSG just make sure your mechatronics has no outstanding software updates cause there is one available. Your lucky the 2009 to 2011 models are the ones with all the issues and they have all been recalled, ive changed like 30 so far. If you have any enquires or problems feel free to ask cause 9/10 times ive probably seen it before. :)

I will be looking into getting the DSG serviced next pay just to be sure and see if it needs to get that update. It has two of those recall stickers on the inside of the door. Not sure what they are for as have not looked it up. At the moment just trying to find a good eurotech in Canberra to get that stuff looked at.

I have already started to budget for this just in case the DSG goes on me.

#14 adzybug

adzybug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

What do the stickers say I can tell you what campaigns they are. The 37G7 is the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"For The Love Of Boost"

#15 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

What do the stickers say I can tell you what campaigns they are. The 37G7 is the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet ill post them up when I get a chance tonight, Cheers.

#16 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Look like I need to go get the update firmware.

Codes are:

24K6 & 24M5

#17 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Check the PCV valve by pulling out the dipstick or opening the oil filler cap, if it starts idling funny, means it's on its way out as they are a common problem. Make sure you do regular upper engine cleaners too, the way the fuel injection is set up means that the back of the valves and intake get covered in heavy carbon build up and is an expensive fix.

Is this correct? Because when I looked this issue up it said if it idles fine the valve is on its way out.... So if it idles rough its meant to be working right.

#18 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

Nice. :D

I pick up an '08 GT Sport next week for the wife. 6spd manual though, I wasnt going near the DSG.

OEM+

#19 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

Nice. :D

I pick up an '08 GT Sport next week for the wife. 6spd manual though, I wasnt going near the DSG.

I would have gone a manual also, But I tried to get her to learn to drive manual but she didn't want to. =(

#20 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

I would have gone a manual also, But I tried to get her to learn to drive manual but she didn't want to. =(

Same with my mrs when we got the polo... Here excuse was wats the point, manual in traffic everyday is shit...

Same excuse she used when i got my foz and she wouldnt be able to drive it... 2 yrs on shes never drives it... :mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users