#61 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

Will need some outback suspension I would say, just for some extra ground clearance. Some of the roads are a bit average. The right set of coilovers will do the same job, but more pricey.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#62 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Have you done it before, or pretty much know the route anyway?

#63 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Gen2 OBK

+ Fasts

easy to convert to GC8 running gear

keep it on standard suspension but lowered springs only.

I would do a trip to Skydknee to help out for a week.. 

actually.. if its done around Hunter Valley time it would be Aces!

gen2 OBK's pop up with blown HGs for <$800 all the time in pretty good nick.. mate recently bought 2.. one was a Limited too! fixed HG and its a good car. and Gen2 Winningness

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#64 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Yeah, I think Gen2 is getting overwhelming support, Ty. Good looks mate.

#65 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'm doing the SHitbox rally next year.. would be good to get another Suby in on it too! 

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#66 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

Perth to Darwin?

#67 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

I believe its run across australia, with each state having various different events, but heres a quote from the WA Variety Bash website - http://www.variety.o...ariety-WA-Bash/

What to expect

The daily Bash route comprises a challenging mix of black top, gravel roads, bush tracks (and no tracks occasionally), with plenty of fun stops and impromptu roadside gatherings thrown in for good measure! 
Although you will know the general route and overnight locations, the exact Bash track is top secret - every morning and afternoon Bashers are issued with Route Note instructions which guide them from breakfast through till lunch and the evening stops.     
Ask any Basher and they will tell you the most important part of any Bash are the visits to local schools, hospitals, children and families to grant donations of much needed equipment and facilities in regional areas along the way. It puts smiles on the faces of the local children and Bashers alike!
As with all Variety WA motoring events, safety is a major consideration. All Bashers are bound by a strict code of conduct incorporating WA Road Rules, designated safety procedures and behavioural standards. 

The major event everyone knows about is the Sydney to Perth run - but they do a hell of a lot more than that. Check out their website for more. This really is a great cause, and would be brilliant to see a Subyclub entry.

A few guys from up here built themselves a Leyland P76 'Bash Car' and ran a few years ago.

Bear in mind here guys, fasts are not what this event is about. Reliability is key here. The old venerable flat 6 might be the better option, especially as it is likely you will have a few places that don't stock premium fuel.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#68 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

actually.. if its done around Hunter Valley time it would be Aces!

+1

tIeW8DE.png

#69 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Something else to be wary of.

Bash Cars

Bash cars must be a minimum 25 years old at the time of entry and must be non-performance modified. In the interests of safety, Bash vehicles may be modified to achieve improved braking and the like. All vehicles must have current registration and be compliant with the rules of the road in Western Australia.  Download the Bash Car Worthiness Form.

Bearing this in mind, maybe a Liberty RS might be the go.

Sorry for being the dampner who rains on the parade so to speak, but I just did a little research. Gen 2 is out due to age restrictions.

#70 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

I believe its run across australia, with each state having various different events, but heres a quote from the WA Variety Bash website - http://www.variety.o...ariety-WA-Bash/

What to expect

The daily Bash route comprises a challenging mix of black top, gravel roads, bush tracks (and no tracks occasionally), with plenty of fun stops and impromptu roadside gatherings thrown in for good measure! 
Although you will know the general route and overnight locations, the exact Bash track is top secret - every morning and afternoon Bashers are issued with Route Note instructions which guide them from breakfast through till lunch and the evening stops.     
Ask any Basher and they will tell you the most important part of any Bash are the visits to local schools, hospitals, children and families to grant donations of much needed equipment and facilities in regional areas along the way. It puts smiles on the faces of the local children and Bashers alike!
As with all Variety WA motoring events, safety is a major consideration. All Bashers are bound by a strict code of conduct incorporating WA Road Rules, designated safety procedures and behavioural standards. 

The major event everyone knows about is the Sydney to Perth run - but they do a hell of a lot more than that. Check out their website for more. This really is a great cause, and would be brilliant to see a Subyclub entry.

A few guys from up here built themselves a Leyland P76 'Bash Car' and ran a few years ago.

Bear in mind here guys, fasts are not what this event is about. Reliability is key here. The old venerable flat 6 might be the better option, especially as it is likely you will have a few places that don't stock premium fuel.

Yeah, I've been all through their website, and I am meeting up with them for the Creative Car Cruise, https://www.facebook...704046/?fref=ts, as it rolls right past my house. 

The question of 'Perth to Darwin' was aimed at Ty talking about the Shitbox Ralleigh. 

I saw that, and realised it puts us at 1988. So thinking caps need to be reapplied. I was even thinking a Sportswagon would be a good look? 

Thanks for the input, mate!!! I think SubyClub can pull this off for sure!

Cheers,

Nik

#71 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Depending on when they released them, and how soon you need the entry in, 1989 may be possible, which is RS terrritory if you find one of the initial ones. 25 years old at time of entry.

#72 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

If its an offroad charity bash i reckon a brumby would be perfect, put a bbq or something in the back too cook up a feast. Would be underpowered but reliable as fork

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#73 peteRS

peteRS

Needs more cylinders...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

Fook, I know nothing of older Subaru's and my old G1S1 leggy GT was an 89 model, but it's gone to the big scrapyard in the sky :(

#74 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

If its an offroad charity bash i reckon a brumby would be perfect, put a bbq or something in the back too cook up a feast. Would be underpowered but reliable as :fork:

Only problem there is that only two can ride in the car.

#75 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

Any ideas on plans here now the 'rules' (for lack of a better word) have been made a little clearer Nik? Without having read any further, whats the rules on support cars? same 8k buy-in or a little more lenient?

#76 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Support cars as far as I know are only spectator fee. I have spoken to a couple of the organisers, I get the feeling they get a lot of people 'talking about it' - which I guess is fair. I am meeting face to face with someone on Friday.

Will know more then.

Also, we're having the sit down on Saturday morning in Sydney, so that should resolve some more stuff. I want to pick a car and start looking for it before Christmas.

#77 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

If you want a sedan i'd sell mine cheap. But its only fwd auto

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#78 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

Is there still any interest in doing this. As I have a gc8 rolling shell which I am willing to donate that would be a great base for the build. Otherwise is just going to get scrapped

#79 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

GC8 is too new to qualify for this Reevesy - Needs to be 89 or older, plus it cant have performance mods relating to power. Brakes and suspension yes, but no power increases.

How did you go with the sit down Nik?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users