• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

Its time...... and about time too. I just need to get the final nod and the mulah is mine.. Where to spend it.....Ideas.. Chip in.. Im still learning some of the jargon, so bare with me. My thoughts... Gen 3 sexiness... mmmmmmm thats good squisheeeee Suspension is already pretty much done... Just need the EDFC fitted along with front 22mm sway bar, new Anti-Lift Kit and rear heavy duty end links. Already has Tein Super Street Coilovers, dampening and height adjustable, 05 WRX Rims, 24mm Rear Whiteline Swaybar, Oldish Whiteline Anti-lift Kit. Handles like its on rails.. Ask Bleaven.. he pooped in my back seats when i took him for a joy ride the other night. Brakes... ehhhh. sigh. nothing to write home about.. hoping to aim for a half cut which should have them.. with something special with it.. are brembos to high to aim for? ENGINE!!!! mwhaahahhahaa Ok... thoughts.... Im shooting for 2.5 litre STi of some kind.... need more ideas on this part.. Im sold on 2.5 litre for drivability around town and more potential. Gearbox... 6 speed.. just seems like the logical way to go.. even if its going to cost a fair bit more. the costs seem justified.. yes no? FMIC... no bonnet scoop.. I want sleeper baby. No look at me scoop for me. exhaust.. has to be a 3" yes? Varex Muffler.? ECU.. hopefully comes with half-cut..... need to source half- cut... working on that. Conversion: Where do i go? The name AM Auto sure does get thrown around a lot.. PeFOURmance Motorsports ? perhaps... Does skippy do conversions? what about john french? Any nightmare experiences with any mechanics named? Cost.. ok.. budget.. still not set down in stone.. aiming for 16,500 dollars.. i can stretch more.. but... hey. rather not break the bank but i want to do this properly.. dont want some half arsed job that would of been a dream for another 2k. I love the saying... Stop Fast... Handle Fast.. Then Go Fast.. i sort of skimped on the first bit.. at least the handling is down, and will get better breaks with a decent half cut. this conversion needs to continue maintaining good on-road manners and total reliability. it will be a daily driver. it will see time on the tracks/lots of cruises... i see team dim sim getting smaller in my mirror!

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

Mate. I am not too sure on the 2.5L cuts and what sort of price you'd be looking at for one - might be worth giving Al or Miles a call at AMAuto, or shoot them some information. Al is actually on this forum now, so he might see this and throw his 2c around. You could even look at getting a 2.5L build for you, real animal if you wanted - and something strong and brand new. I can probably get you some more information if you decided to go this route, although you'd probably want to allocate maybe $10k for that engine + everything alone, then management gearbox etc.. on top of that. A 6sp box I think now days are really $4500 up depending on year, DCCD etc... Again Al may be able to help you with this, or perhaps Alex or Jarrod. A correctly set up 2L will be OK, as will twins - but if you're chasing some serious powaz 2.5L might be the way to go. There are some details of some pretty good 2.5L builds on Nasioc and RSLC for memory. If you want infos on 2L I can help you, hehe :)

#3 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

Mate. I am not too sure on the 2.5L cuts and what sort of price you'd be looking at for one - might be worth giving Al or Miles a call at AMAuto, or shoot them some information. Al is actually on this forum now, so he might see this and throw his 2c around.

You could even look at getting a 2.5L build for you, real animal if you wanted - and something strong and brand new. I can probably get you some more information if you decided to go this route, although you'd probably want to allocate maybe $10k for that engine + everything alone, then management gearbox etc.. on top of that. A 6sp box I think now days are really $4500 up depending on year, DCCD etc... Again Al may be able to help you with this, or perhaps Alex or Jarrod.

A correctly set up 2L will be OK, as will twins - but if you're chasing some serious powaz 2.5L might be the way to go.

There are some details of some pretty good 2.5L builds on Nasioc and RSLC for memory.

If you want infos on 2L I can help you, hehe :)

frankie has thrown around the idea of building my present engine up? ideas? thoughts?

Has Al ever sourced a Halfcut for a customer before? prolly should ask him.

Didnt really want to take the 2L path, I know in the future I will regret not spending the extra money and getting the 2.5. I like the idea of the the potential there. plus the tourqe. Nothing like a 25 percent capacity increase to help things along.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#4 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:04 PM

Nothing like a 25 percent capacity increase to help things along.

no replacement for displacement... ;)

sorry i didn't mention it to Al for you... i just had to rush to get back to brisbane to get the godzilla...

and you said you wouldn't mention my little accident in the back seat of your car...

i cant believe how well it handles man... even with my 96 kilo ass in the back of it...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#5 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

... i just had to rush to get back to brisbane to get the godzilla...

You got one of these ?

Posted Image

Al uses BMI (Brisbane Motor Imports) for his stuff I believe. I've dealt with Aaron up there before, top bloke. Give 'em a call and they should be able to let you know what they've got.

I'd chuck your engine out or sell it and start with a brand new crate engine!

#6 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

You got one of these ?

Posted Image

Al uses BMI (Brisbane Motor Imports) for his stuff I believe. I've dealt with Aaron up there before, top bloke. Give 'em a call and they should be able to let you know what they've got.

I'd chuck your engine out or sell it and start with a brand new crate engine!

Haha, yeah I was like Godzirrah??? It's a GX...

Hey Rhys how did Jarrod's 6 speed work out for him, I thought maybe you could keep your 5er, if the 6er doesn't add much. And building your engine up as opposed to transplanting might be an fair idea, just need to look at the engine with a microscope to see if it'll hack teh powah.

I'm guessing the RX didn't sell then?

Nick

edit: Just read your first post a second time, so you're looking at a STi engine huh? Well I'm not huge on sharing my build ideas for an RS Impreza, but I'm looking at a Cosworth short block, with Cosworth heads and cams, and billeted crank, will blow you budget to bits, but the Cosworth Short uses a STi case, and then Cosi Crank and forgies. If you wanted a very thought out (read: expensive and drawn out) conversion, maybe build the engine from scratch, but then again I plan not to drive at all for a long time while the parts get sourced and engine is built and installed in another state. And you'll find your brakes soon enough.

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#7 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

Nik - whats a cossie short block set you back? ~$3000 - $3500 ?

#8 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

Late model STi cut would be the beans IMO. Building a forged 2.5L would rock, but in the long run it'd cost way more, take a lot longer and then you'll probably need to deal with aftermarket EM. The cost would blow out hugely. You need to buy a long block, then source the ancillaries, then have the long block pulled apart and replaced forgies, reassembled, find yourself a 6-speed separately (which will cost a lot more than getting it in a half cut from what I've seen), then once you pop them in you'll need to have everything wired up from scratch, then have a full tune done. Or you could find yourself a late model STi cut for maybe ~$10,000 with an EJ257, 6 speed, brembos (and the hubs), all the wiring, ECU and so on. Take it up to Al and have him pop it all in, do some loom splicing and then drive away. One problem there is that you'll need to source the rear hubs and brakes separately, but you'd have to source front AND rears separately if you took the first approach... I know which I'd be doing with my pennies...

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#9 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

oh my this looks like it's going to get interesting!!

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#10 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

Nik - whats a cossie short block set you back? ~$3000 - $3500 ?

$9k US, heads are more than that again. Only two Aus importers, Bel Garage in Sydney and a place in Perth.

Nick

#11 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

Thats not too bad though. Considering what it would cost to buy an EJ257 and rebuild it. You could probably get away with using V3 STi heads on it anyway couldn't you?
TSM

#12 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

Or you could find yourself a late model STi cut for maybe ~$10,000 with an EJ257, 6 speed, brembos (and the hubs), all the wiring, ECU and so on. Take it up to Al and have him pop it all in, do some loom splicing and then drive away.
One problem there is that you'll need to source the rear hubs and brakes separately, but you'd have to source front AND rears separately if you took the first approach...
I know which I'd be doing with my pennies...

This would be my pick also but his budget will not stretch to using V7- and getting all the extras. V5 or 6 STi with all extras would fit in to the budget though. Performance would be fairly similiar but the V7 is better in many areas. Gearbox is obviously the big difference.
Setting sites on a 2.5l turbo is not very practical. There are few factory 2.5 turbo cuts available and all are DBW which adds to the fit and wire cost. Most will have TDO4's on them also so will be very underpowered albeit easily upgradable.

There's a lot more to doing a complete conversion that performs faultlessly and reliably than many people realise.

#13 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

Like sticky tape :D Hehe. Anyways good luck if you choose to do the conversion :D

#14 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

Paul I think you can , yah. Nik that's pretty bloody expensive :o Ej207 I reckon :)

#15 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

Was having a bit of a ponder on this on the way home. Al given an EJ257 is out of the price range, would a good 2L cut with a twin scroll provide a similar level of drivability?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#16 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

My experience with twin scroll EJ20's only extends to my own Gen 2 that did not have avcs. It had nothing on a 2.5 turbo. AVCS would help but it can't replace the .5l extra of the EJ25. They are damn nice for a street engine with a decent turbo on them. AN EJ25 bottom end is always an option after the conversion is done. Doing it at the time of conversion will add about $7k to the job. You should always keep in mind that a 2.0l turbo has much more torque than an EJ25 NA. It seems people think they will lose torque going from EJ25 to EJ20T. Not the case.

#17 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

My experience with twin scroll EJ20's only extends to my own Gen 2 that did not have avcs. It had nothing on a 2.5 turbo. AVCS would help but it can't replace the .5l extra of the EJ25. They are damn nice for a street engine with a decent turbo on them.

AN EJ25 bottom end is always an option after the conversion is done. Doing it at the time of conversion will add about $7k to the job.

You should always keep in mind that a 2.0l turbo has much more torque than an EJ25 NA. It seems people think they will lose torque going from EJ25 to EJ20T. Not the case.

especially with a vf35. mine has stacks more torque now with the wrx motor!

MY07 GT spec B

#18 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

Good stuff mate, looking forward to watching this develope over time. I was reading on RSLC recently that Markmcrs or whatever dropped an EJ207 into a GC8 and he said there was a ot more torque down low that with the previous motor that was in it. Just some food for thought.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#19 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

Good stuff mate, looking forward to watching this develope over time.

I was reading on RSLC recently that Markmcrs or whatever dropped an EJ207 into a GC8 and he said there was a ot more torque down low that with the previous motor that was in it. Just some food for thought.

Hey Guys..

Increasing the budget has not been ruled out.. I want to do a proper job the first time around.. If this means adding another 4 k-5 k... then i guess.. so be it.. if it looks like its tipping over 20.. then... i will cry... and look at the v6 wrx.

There is a little man at the back of my mind.. saying.. just pay the extra dollars and get the extra .5 litres.. Ill regret not doing it in a years time otherwise.

Had a chat to the old folks.. They suggested selling my car and buying a wrx.. sure.. it would be cheaper.. but.. ugh.. just doesnt have the same appeal for some reason. must be the liberty aids spreading...

I like the look of my car, something about it.. sure its heavy. sure it needs a bit of touch up paint from where i closed the garage door and didnt move the car enough in.. *kicks himself* and is the typical mums car dropping her kids off at the soccer match on saturday.. but.. i dunno. there is something there that screams awesome sleeper.

The 6 speed, 2.5 litre wrx sti engine.. brembos would come on the half cut as well right? seems like a weapon.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#20 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

Hey Guys..
I like the look of my car, something about it.. sure its heavy. sure it needs a bit of touch up paint from where i closed the garage door and didnt move the car enough in.. *kicks himself* and is the typical mums car dropping her kids off at the soccer match on saturday.. but.. i dunno. there is something there that screams awesome sleeper.

You could've bought SL33PR, what did he want for it? Like $17,000 :P That was another AM Auto Convo.

But seriously, $20 is a fair chunk, takes a lot of time to work out how to spend it, a MY04 onwards WRX/WRX STi is a worthy choice, incidently there's a certain MY04 WRX STi for sale in Perth, possibly free transport if you're interested, $40k or less.... :D QLD car, always serviced in Bris, only been in WA for 6months....

Why not go for a B4, know you might have your reasons, but it's really just an RX with a pair of turbos and ugly interior, and cheaper than $20k these days. Either way, I hope you find your solution soon.

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users