27 replies to this topic

#1 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

Did this B4 FMIC install over the last couple of days and promised to post pics so here they are.

Started by chopping the intercooler valve up and welding a 2" elbow to it to eliminate the original flange.

Posted Image

Then modified the evo upgrade core to suit the gen 3. We cut off the original outlet and weld on longer versions at a different angle. We also weld on mounting pads and a lower mounting strap. This one was painted black on owners request.

Posted Image

With the core mounted it's on to the pipework. 2" hot side and 2.5" cold side. The pipework is very fiddly, such is the nature of a TT engine bay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Trimmed up the bar for fitment.

Posted Image

The bad news for B4 owners is that it is a very fiddly and material hungry vehicle to fabricate an FMIC for so the cost is higher than other subaru's. $1650 plus PW CAI.

We also made a full exhaust.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The good news is the car actually goes well and gets instant boost.

#2 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:05 PM

Very nice work... Are there any engineering issues from the removal of the brace in the front bar? Would the cars integrity be compromised in a front end collision?

#3 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:13 PM

Depends on who you ask. Is it just there to hold the bumper up or is it there for some other reason. Why would you want the car to maintain integrity in a collision when it is supposed to crumple to absorb crash energy? So many questions. It's legal in Qld and many people have engineered FMIC with bumper support removal in NSW too.

#4 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Fair enough! I would have thought that it acted as a barrier in lower speed impacts, offering some protection to the radiator e.t.c., but if it doesn't effect the car in any way, then I guess the main thing to do is to not crash.

#5 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

The only thing changing in the instance of a front end collision would be the required repair of your intercooler, as a front end would not usually effect a TMIC, I'm assuming you're talking about a mild front end, not a writing off. The removal of the brace doesn't affect too much, as you state Al, you want the car too crumple in a crash, and the brace isn't a crumple point. There's a fibreglass bodykit manufacturer up here in QLD, SUBARU, if I can find the name and website I'll pass it on, they were the first in Aus to get thumbs up from the QLD govt for fibre kits, and were working on meeting other state's requirements, they have everything worked out on how to keep the integrity of your car whilst altering the front bar, including removing braces to custom kits around FMICs, definitely the ones to look at if you're worried. Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#6 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

ooooooh... i like this alot, cost is not as bad as i thought it might be. Awesome job (as usual :P )

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#7 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

Looks awesome and $1650 is a very good price assuming that is the price. Not a huge fan of the EVO Look though. Is this a kit that can quite easily be pulled out and put back in or is it once in stays in kinda deal? Out of curiosity, how much did this B4 owner fork out for the FMIC and TBE?

#8 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

Very nice job, good to see how much effort it took. $1650 isn't as bad as I thought either, damn that pipework looks fiddly as feck...

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#9 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

We use the EVO core because it allows the fog lights to remain and allows the piping to be routed in a way that requires no cutting of the body AND allows a CAI to be fitted. It's not really a look, it just fits the layout. Can't see why you couldn't change it back to std, providing we have a good supply of TT IC valves and don't have to chop your valve. Can't see why you would want to remove it though. I think the exhaust was about $1800. 2.5" mandrel bent dump pipes into 3" metal cat, 3" resonator, more mandrel bends and onto an oval Varex. TT's are always dearer because you have to double up parts of the system.

#10 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

Al I'm curious (I don't know anything about intercoolers really) - why is the cold side a larger diameter than the hot side? I would have thought it'd be the other way around, seeing as air expands as it gets warmer?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#11 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

Is this the same as what you did to grahams outback? Looks the goods. Are there any other coolers like the xr6T that could be used? Just saw one drive past the other day and its cooler didn't look overaly big. Jeff you know you wanna, just tell Lee your going on a fishing trip :P

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#12 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

Al, you reckon for about $3500 you could repeat this? as in TBE and FMIC? How long does it take? Might be worth taking a burn to QLD some time to get this done :D BTW how much diff do you think this actually made to the performance of the car?

#13 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:50 AM

We could do it without the process west cai for $3500 or you could change the varex for a std muffler and tip in a hundred and get the PW intake. We can't make the CAI ourselves on the 01 on cars because the pipe size is not commercially available to us. We would need the car for 3 days. We service a std B4 as well and they are chalk and cheese. This is the most boost happy TT I have ever driven. We made a few changes at once so it is hard to pin down what made the difference. Having done full exhausts before I would say the FMIC makes quite a difference to response.

#14 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

How much gain would there be in replacing the plastic intake that runs under the manifold?
TSM

#15 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:24 AM

this looks crazy! it was the one mod I never did that I wanted.

#16 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

Bloody wow! Me wants.

#17 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

Quality workmanship as always. Damn i hate the fact AMAuto is so far away!! I would already have a fmic fitted by now.

OEM+

#18 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

Quality workmanship as always.

Damn i hate the fact AMAuto is so far away!! I would already have a fmic fitted by now.

Mark.

You.

Me.

Roadtrip.

:)

#19 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

Mark.

You.

Me.

Roadtrip.

:)

Pfft, no need....I'll fly down, pick them up (individually) and look after them for a week....then drive them down with your new FMIC, all 1000kms, and then fly back, the perfect plan....

But honestly, why not go for a nice holiday in Noosa for 3 days....Sunshine Coast is excellent.

Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#20 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

But honestly, why not go for a nice holiday in Noosa for 3 days....Sunshine Coast is excellent.

Nick

Indeed. Plenty of accomodation for a wide range of budgets in Noosa. wotif.com is a good place to get a cheap stay at last minute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users