←  Electrical/Electronics

Suby Club

»

Neutral switch

Robert's Photo Robert 22 May 2014

For those who have done a manual conversion on their subys, did you have any issues with the neutral switch working the wrong way?

Since my conversion i have had an engine light on indicating a idle circuit malfunction which is my neutral switch, when i had the automatic cluster installed it use to show it was in neutral when it was actually in a gear (1st for example).

This must be sending the ecu crazy and throwing the light, my question is what would be the best way to reverse the polarity of the switch? 

I don't think reversing the wires will make a difference.

Cheers, 

Rob

Guest_KONG_* 22 May 2014

Different ECU? Or rub poo on your current ECU?

I'm no help.

Robert's Photo Robert 22 May 2014

Ill rub poo on your ECU

Nah a 95 manual and auto has the same ECU

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 23 May 2014

When the light comes on. Take the car out of gear and put it back in and then see if the light goes off. .. You might have a faulting neutral position switch. Different thing to an auto neutral switch.

The manual one makes so ecu changes when in neutral to idle n such.

My car has the same issue. When I hook up the subaru select monitor on the factory ecu I can see the nps flashing on and off as I wiggle the shifter.

Doesn't bother me now as I have a aftermarket ecu.. But from memory with the subaru select tool you can disable the nps

Robert's Photo Robert 23 May 2014

Cheers mate, the light goes off from when it comes back down to idle and it dips to about 500rpm and then back up to normal.

I've looked around but found nothing conclusive, should neutral switch pin on the ecu have power when it's in gear or neutral? Seems to be different between auto an manual.

I'm not even sure where I could get my hands on a ssm

Samwise's Photo Samwise 23 May 2014

I'm not even sure where I could get my hands on a ssm

Ichiban ;)

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 23 May 2014

I'm not sure. Have you got a download of the fsm?

It should be in there under diagnostic section about Idle issues or Excess fuel usage I think

The nps is one of the things to check and it references the service procedure on xyz page. . See if you can find it there. .