←  Electrical/Electronics

Suby Club

»

Strange noise..

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 24 May 2014

Okay,

This is a really whacked out pearler of an issue. I will describe it the best i can.

When the car is on reds, i get a strange noise behind the cluster. To me, it sounds like a rat crawling and scratching around the back of my cluster. I didn't turn the car on, only onto reds with lights switched to parkers. It cant be water related as the car was never turned on.

It must be electrical as it stopped immediately when i turned the key to the off position, i tried it a few times. I thought it may be the vents messing about but i played with the climate control and it had no impact on the noise. I made a quick video, all the sound is coming from behind the dash, apart from where i turn the key off and on again. Make sure you turn the volume up as it's a bit soft.

Kinda also sounds like an old hard-drive. I have no idea what it is.

I have noticed this sound a few times while driving, but this is the first time i have noticed it on reds.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 24 May 2014

This doesn't help but mine does the same thing sometimes?
forking Wierd. .
Actually does it when driving more and I pull up at the lights. As soon as I hold the brake on I hear that sound. . So strange but i cbf trying to sort it. . Has been like it for over a year and still works so I ain't going digging lol

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 25 May 2014

That is a weird noise for a car to make. Maybe relays spazzing out and clicking on and off?

Guest_KONG_* 25 May 2014

Ha!

Checked under the dash for a 6 stacker?

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 25 May 2014

Man it's got me totally stumped. Tempted to pull the dash cluster out and have a look.

There's probably a rat running in a wheel which is how the TT system operates.

allpaw4's Photo allpaw4 01 Jun 2014

Still starts fine? I've had that sort of issue before, battery voltage was way down so the relays wouldn't hold in. A dodgy connection will also cause those symptoms.

Richo's Photo Richo 01 Jun 2014

sounds a bit like a relay going spac

do you have an EBC ? the boost solenoid on mine has a spac attack when on ACC/ON, but ones the car starts, its fine. sounds like that, just louder

that or you have a mouse in there

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 01 Jun 2014

Car runs perfectly fine, everything works and battery is at normal voltage. It doesn't do this all the time. The only symptoms related to it is the noise and nothing else.

SubyDr, 1999 Legacy GT-B

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 01 Jun 2014

That's one thing i haven't tried. The noise shows up every now and then, hasn't done it lately but next time i hear it, ill try it. Makes sense as you can hear a solenoid click from around there when you hit the brake pedal to get it out of P.