• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

The other day I got around to doing an ipad dash install, and have been looking at ways to actually make it useful. 
I saw someone mention something about a wifi OBDII scanner:

http://www.ebay.com....2cecfd2b&_uhb=1

Anyone know if this would be compatible in a Gen 3 BH wagon?

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#2 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

Have a look in the electronics/electrical section, there are several threads with various scantool references. Also, search. Be/Bh vehicles are painful to get a fully working scantool.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#3 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

There was something on another forum regarding the coding language (Im not a computer geek) to get these to work . I think it may of been the RSTurboLiberty one.  These scanners are great to see a bit of live data but dont

even remotely go close to a Select Monitor (Subaru Tech tool) for trying to figure out complex problems.

Thanks for the opinion SubyDr, not after it to figure out complex problems, was just after it as more of a **** factor haha. 

Have a look in the electronics/electrical section, there are several threads with various scantool references. Also, search. Be/Bh vehicles are painful to get a fully working scantool.

Thanks for the heads up, wasn't sure if someone had already posted about this exact wireless transmitter, and was feeling extremely lazy at the time. I had read they were painful, but I was living in hope I think.

Anyway, torqued to spec is just the manuals way of saying 'we couldn't get it any tighter, see if you can'.

#4 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Oh, I wasn't referring directly to that particular tool Joss, moreso in general. You will need a tool that can read SSM, otherwise you will get little to no data from it. I haven't found a tool of any sort that will give fully functioning diagnostics (live data + codes) without SSM. Sorry to be a dampener.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#5 Joss

Joss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

Oh, I wasn't referring directly to that particular tool Joss, moreso in general. You will need a tool that can read SSM, otherwise you will get little to no data from it. I haven't found a tool of any sort that will give fully functioning diagnostics (live data + codes) without SSM. Sorry to be a dampener.

Just had a read of both relevant posts I could find and saw that it wasn't going to happen :(
Ah well, saved me spending money only to find out that it wouldn't work. 

Cheers for the heads up allpaw

#6 nielonsx

nielonsx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Improving Subaru Fuel Economy

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

I have had a number of BE/BH Liberty's and Outbacks and I got the Greddy Informeter working on these. Had lots of parameters and also can be used as a fuel/trip computer. Also freeSSm and a special cable OBD2 to serial got my old laptop working for parameters and diagnostics on thgese models. Dont know about the B4. I have moved to Gen 4 and Torque pro works a treat as well as on all my other cars!

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

I'm struggling to get torque pro working with a USB / OBD cable at the moment (cable works fine with freeSSM on a PC). This on a JDM gen3 (ie: SSM, but not OBD-II compliant).

torque pro is supposed to work ok with SSM and a suitable bluetooth OBD, such as OBDKey.

#8 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Yeah supposed to... I could never make it work.

#9 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

http://www.scangauge...ts/scangaugeii/

ill be looking into one of these for the future nice bit of gear 

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

This looks like it'd ODDII only, so I doubt it will work on a GenIII

I have an Actron CP9575 OBDII scanner, it works on my MY 07 GenIV but not on my MY02 GenII.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#11 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

looks OBDII only.

edit: snap!

#12 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

REVD-E H6 are OBD2.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#13 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

^^^  Really?

Then how come the two Bosch scan tools I have give me nothing when I use the OBDII generic protocols, but when I tell the tool its connected to a GenIII it works fine?

My Gen IV works fine with either.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#14 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

^^^  Really?

Then how come the two Bosch scan tools I have give me nothing when I use the OBDII generic protocols, but when I tell the tool its connected to a GenIII it works fine?

My Gen IV works fine with either.

Pretty sure gen 3s use an early version of OBDII that was non-standard. But I'm speaking from vague internet experience  :scratch_one-s_head:

#15 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

There have been many different standards used in the OBDII world, and the gen 3 standard was one of the first, I can't remember which was the name of it, but I'm pretty sure it started with the letter P.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users