#1 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

As some of you know ive been working on black magicing a gen 3 blackout cluster in to my gen 2. This 100% can be done its just fiddley and technical. This thread is more of a journal of my progress and probable issues I run into (and so Adam can see how its done ;) ) than a DIY. I may do one at a later stage but as this involves hacking up the cluster harness i might leave it and just help people out the best I can

So far my progress is about 1% due to uni and not really being able to hack my car up. Im on holidays now so will be trying to get this done before i go back (August).

So far ive labeled the wires on the 16 pin plug for the cluster. Looks like theres a few wires missing so will need to add some in which will probably require a trip to the wreckers or 10
uacGZEH.jpg

Wish me luck and enjoy the ride
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little over 6 weeks later...

I thought it time to post what ive done, how ive done it, what i needed and who has helped. Ill make this section into a guide, not a DIY. If youre game enough to do this you should hopefully know what you're doing and what to do if things go pear shaped. I am more than happy to help anyone wanting to convert their gen 3 or their gen 2 to the best of my abilities. Enjoy

To get the actual thing in there I removed the tinted cover, and the black piece beneath it. Then i cut off the 2 white tabs on the side and the one on the top. To get it into the actual car I highly suggest removing the steering wheel. It makes things 10x easier to get in and out which you will be doing a lot of. Once the guts of the cluster is in there there are 2 routes you could take. You could do what I did and removed part of the plastic supports behind the cluster to make space for the CCFL inverter (big silver box on the back) as well as taking off some of the shroud or you could just remove a lot of shroud. The tinted cover can simply be placed over the gauges and looks perfectly fine once the shroud is on.

kEv8Y4U.jpg

Section of support removed
U9yUEbD.jpg
Amount taken off shroud
loEiM7Y.jpg

Wiring (speedo section later)
This is probably the easiest part. First thing is to identify what revision cluster you have. You can either do it via the serial number on the bottom or via how many pins the C plug has. A-C has 14 and D-E has 18.

Onces that is identified youll need a pinout for the gen 2. I found the FSM to be accurate about 80%. I also had a Haynes service manual on hand which was 100% accurate but only has the core functions like dials and warning lights. No indicators or high beams etc. By connection power to pins A8 A9 and grounding A18 and B7 the cluster will turn on and do its light show. Most of the lights work via a switched ground with the exception of at least the indicators which used switched 12v from the stalk. Give the cluster power and then match function to function from the cars harness. I used about 15cm of wire to splice/tap into the cars harness rather than cutting the plugs off. Meant i could put the gen 2 cluster back in to get to work while working on it etc. I will probably replace the gen 2 plugs with the bfm plugs when I do my conversion

The speedo.

The gen 2 is weird with its speedo. The cluster powers the speed sensor and then takes in the signal where it shows it on the cluster then outputs it to the ECU. Thank fully some clever japanese people figured out how the board works and its somewhat straight forward. Remove the speedo board from a gen 2 cluster, preferably one with the same style plug. There are at least 2 types. A big chunky 3 pin and a 5 pin one. The 5 pin still uses the 3 wires but i think the boards are different. The black and white wires are the speedo signal and the yellow/other wire is the power. 
QdrIs0D.jpg
With the plug facing away the 3 holes furthest away are the ones you need to work with. I used one of the screws that hold the board to the dial and some ring termnials to make the connections. To hold the screws in the chook poo'd it with solder and it seems to be good. The bottom left wire goes to the ECU and the new cluster. The top left goes to 12v (switched) and the top right gets a ground. I wrapped it in tape and jammed it up behind the plastic support.

Resources and thanks.

• First and foremost thank you to rkrenicki on SLi for his experimenting and enormous amount of effort documenting this all. A lot of my information came from this thread. It contains the BFM pinouts, how to identify them via serial number and a lot of tips and so forth.
  • Adam for pestering me enough to get started
  • Rob for suppling me with a speedo board to tinker with
  • Ty for helping with the speedo wiring

tIeW8DE.png

#2 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Nice work Nicko.

You got a few more plugs to do yet, eh.

#3 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

2 other plugs for the cluster. Not sure if ill do the gen 2 loom or will just do it as i go

tIeW8DE.png

#4 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Thread needs to be older showing results. I feel saddened in the same way as dealing with premature ejaculation. Wanted to see good results but feeling let down again.

:)

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Haha in due time

tIeW8DE.png

#6 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

:D

Posted Image

#7 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

C plug done today. Half of it is for the VDC/ABS and airbag lights so no use to me cos RA Gen 2 ;). Weirdly it has a pin for Odometer reset when it uses a stalk on the front of the cluster doesnt it? Unless it goes to the ECU and that also stores the odometer?
LnizeG5.jpg

tIeW8DE.png

#8 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Hi,

I'm actually doing the same thing. Actually converting a JDM Gen 3 STi Cluster to a blackout B4 cluster. About the same amount of work required as you're doing.

I'm using the factory manuals but probably need a translated JDM manual so I might be in the poo soon. LOL

#9 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

When I get home I'll link the thread with all the pin outs. All a-c and d-e clusters have the same pinouts respectively

tIeW8DE.png

#10 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

*WATCHING*

I like the idea.. I'm never going to do it but i'll lend a hand.. I have a fair understanding of the wiring side of things ;)

p.s. Wire it up good to go for a RX Nick.. otherwise your in for a world of pain when you have to swap it to match the GC8 loom for Conversion

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#11 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

I'm watching closely.

Interesting to see how you make it fit a gen 2

#12 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

Don't you have a foz ?

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#13 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

Definitely do it for an RX loom. So I can copy :D

Posted Image

#14 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

Get a gen 2 factory service manual and it would be pretty straight forward. I would be able to map it for you guys pretty quickly.

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#15 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

Get a gen 2 factory service manual and it would be pretty straight forward. I would be able to map it for you guys pretty quickly.

I've got a jdm pinout for the cluster and yeah an fsm for my car

tIeW8DE.png

#16 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

What do you mean by wire it up for rx? My loom is gx obviously and will have to match the cluster so I I'll have to redo it anyway? Is the rx cluster pinout actually different to gx?

tIeW8DE.png

#17 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

Stripped out and re pinned the A plug as half of its for the PRNDL tree and other indicator lights i dont need. Will label it all tomorrow as cbf now.

lJKJyQ2.jpg

tIeW8DE.png

#18 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Had a few setbacks, mainly getting sick and reading the A plug backwards lol. Feeling better now so have repinned and labeled the A plug. So much less daunting when you can strip out the PRNDL tree, a bunch of other auto stuff and 90% of the door indicators. Getting a speedo board from Roberto so i don't have to pull mine apart incase things go pear shaped
gXdKUPp.jpg

tIeW8DE.png

#19 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

Pulled my cluster out today to have a sticky beak. The connectors arent plugs as such they clamp onto the cluster and the pins directly contact the circuit board as opposed to the gen 3 cluster which has pins and sockets. 

8v5MahH.jpg

gN7gZuN.jpg

Something weird is this little sliding door thingy on the harness doesnt do anything as far as i can see

zBHq41r.jpg

My thinking was to see if i could depin the gen 2 harness and put the pins in the gen 3 plugs which would make things much easier as I wouldnt have to cut and solder everything. The central blue plug which i think is for the speedo is the same style as the gen 3 so it can be depinned easily. The others I havent figured out yet but according to Ty it can be done. Im guessing these sliding pin things on the side have something to do with it
1DfHrzi.jpg

tIeW8DE.png

#20 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

I'll show you tomorrow but..
Those pins.. imagine them flipped 180deg so that the bits that contact the cluster were facing inwards towards each other in the plug...

That is what the plugs are like on the ECU Side. 

You just need a tiny flat blade to "Pop" them out..

took a while to find the right tool but i have it now. its a slightly modified screwdriver but it works..

ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BFM, cluster, gen2, blackout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users