#1 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

Gents,

After about 10-15mins of driving, i get a coolant smell through the heater, only when the heater is on. It's fairly strong but not THAT bad. No leaks that i can see around the carpet under the dash. What's the likely scenario?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#2 BG11XV

BG11XV

Brian Gard (BG11XV)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Interests:driving, fishing, photography, rallies, historic racing, cricket, downhill mtb, bbqs,

car mods, electrical work, diy mechanical work

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

mine used to do that aswell it was a pin hole in the heater core . i just got the two hoses from the fire wall and joined them with a 1/2 inch hose joiner and bypassed the core hehe i never use it and i took my belt off the aircon last week too untill i decide i dont like the heat anymore

PHOTOSHOP MOCK UP

#3 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

Have a real good look under the dash for signs of coolant.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#4 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

Nawwwwww.... i don't want to look 'cos i know what's going to happen. I'll find a weedy leak and that means dash out.....

So if it's a leak, does this mean the leak is contained inside the plastic box, provided i can't find any coolant outside of it? If it was a leak, shouldn't it smell of coolant 24/7 as soon as the car is turned on?  Only starts to smell after about 15mins...

#5 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

True, i always have it on atmo. I'll try tomorrow with it on re-circ, see what happens. No steam on windscreen, Engine bay probably has a tiny leak somewhere, it's quite pungent after a good fang.

I would assume the leak is on top of the header tank as it's crusty as and is completely covered in cooked up radiator jizz. I have never seen it wet there or anywhere else, no steam, only smell. Header tank was crusty when i bought it. TT's have many stupid small erratic coolant lines throughout so it could be anywhere. Need a weekend to yank the motor out, have a good look around and give it the once over but cbf.

#6 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Okay, heater on re-circ, no coolant smell. Good news yeah? Guess it means a leak in the engine bay somewhere.

Deliberately gave it alot of Jandal thismorning and noticed a bit of coolant steam waft out of the scoop, no noticeable leak upon inspection.

#7 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Had a similar thing happen to my GTIR last week Jimbo. 

Coolant smell, bit of steam coming out of bonnet. 

Turns out one of my metal water lines had a crack in it, and was dumping coolant onto the exhaust at the back of the motor. Smelt bad, but couldn't see any "leaks" as it was hitting my exhaust, and evaporating. Didn't leak when cold, as the system wasn't pressurised enough for the leak to happen.

Just another thing to consider. 

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

Haven't had a chance to have a good thorough look at everything. Need a few days off to take off the intake manifold and replace all the old water lines down there and clean it up. It's so crusty in the engine bay, i hate it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users