#1 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

G'day all,

Been reading on here for a while, good site!

Long story short, bought an Outback a few months ago, and as usual I've been playing around with it since..

Current specs:

- 3" SS CAI with K&N pod. Custom cable tie holding it in place until I make a bracket. Tempted to make a 2.5" version and see if there is a difference (probably not!) or even making a few of these to sell if anyone is interested.

- 2003 WRX STI exhaust modded to fit. Almost a perfect 2.25" size exhaust. Great if you want something in between a LOUD after market rear muffler and stock. Sounded pretty good with the stock headers and cat, doesn't sound all that great with the new 4-1 headers.

- Custom 4-into-1 equal length headers, CAD designed and tried to get some pressure wave magic happening! Aimed for 3000-3500rpm range. Made 4-2-1 set for my old foz, made a noticeable difference but tried something different on this. Definitely goes better but sounds like a freakin  Mitsubishi magna! 3500RPM+ is so much better now!

-  2011 Sat Nav head unit, bought for a sweet price though missing a button (yet to order a replacement or try get one rapid-prototyped / 3D printed). So far works sweet, just need to hook up the GPS antenna.

Plans:

- Finish rebuilding my spare EJ25 engine, most likely including a set of Delta cams (1500 or 2000 grind), head work, 9.8:1 comp, 2005+ long port intake manifold (modded for cable throttle body etc). Surely I can get for more hp from this thing!!

- 17x7" rims - not sure what style yet, most likely painted black though.

- Biltstein or Liberty struts, already have a set of bilsteins springs in the shed but doubt it would be a good idea to fit them to the stock Outback struts!

- Replace the shot diff bushes and try get rid of some of the jerking in the driveline.

- Finish the headunit install, sink it 10mm back into the dash, fill the cup holder gap, sand and spray in the same colour as the headunit. Then spray all the woodgrain parts of the dash.

- Paint the headers black, try to bake them properly so the paint doesn't burn off in 10min!

19064814.jpg

19064815.jpg

19064816.jpg

19064741.jpg\

19064743.jpg

19064812.jpg

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,388 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Those headers just blew my mind!

Post a vid of the sound if you get a chance, I'm sure people would be interested to hear it.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

Cheers, I'll try borrow a mates gopro and see how it sounds mounted under the rear. It really doesn't sound all that great though, but it definitely goes better! You would probably know that big hill up ferntree gully rd (up to jells rd). Even with a run-up it would die by half way and need to go to 4th gear to hold 80km/h, now it will hold speed in 5th (even accelerate!) and not sound like it is struggling so much.

I noticed while driving today that I thought I was in 2nd or 4th gear, gone to change up but was already in 3rd or 5th!  BUT the motor has done 220k's so i'm not keen on going past 4000rpm incase it blows a head gasket. At least not until my spare motor is nearly ready.

#4 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:46 AM

Crazy header design. In a good way! Thats a nice looking intake pipe too :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#5 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My Subaru, My Girl and sport!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

Those headers just blew my mind!

Post a vid of the sound if you get a chance, I'm sure people would be interested to hear it.

amen to that!!  those headers would even blow Kramers mind!!

1st 1990 Nissan Pulsar Q. What a rocket!
2nd: Gen 2 RX... Loved and lost...
3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink
5th: More civilized now... with a Heritage Wagon... now gone...
6th Mitsubishi KJ Verada..."its nothing like a suby" now gone...
7th: 2002 B4 Liberty TT....

8th: MY04 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Pack Wagon

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com
582620_371706622901614_542168895_n.jpg

#6 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Cheers guys, got about half way through the CAD design then found a set of TWE headers not too different from mine. Their's are about 50-100mm shorter and I wasnt worried about using the stock cat, but i only have about 150mm ground clearance. 

stainless-header02_large.jpg

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

awesome set of headers  - I like how most of the bends are stock items (90deg elbows etc).

#8 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

yea I did that to keep it as simple as possible, you can buy a 180deg bend for only a couple of $$ more than a 90deg too

#9 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,966 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Can I ask why you wouldnt just get a standard double din hu that would bolt straight into the oem position?

OEM+

#10 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

I wanted a headunit with the sat nav, an Alpine or similar brand was an easy $500-1000 2nd hand, I picked this up for $100. If it works out to be crap i'll just get a new fascia from the wreckers and put something else in. I didn't want a tomtom or anything else hanging off the windscreen either. 

#11 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

I know the feeling. A sat nav headunit shouldn't be that expensive as it is....

Wish sat nav makers made a din sized uni with external antenna + accessories included for a dash install for buyers....

#12 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

Borrowed a mates gopro, see what you think, sounds too much like a civic or something...  

The motors got 230k's on it so I'm not real keen on going past 4500rpm until the spare motor is ready to go on (or I at least have spare head gaskets and heads ready to go..).

How's the diff wobble look? Are they supposed to move that much? haha

#13 cameron

cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

sorry to be blunt but it sounds like absolute rubbish

Have you put any more thought into squeezing some more power out of the engine. Like strapping on one of those intake fans

#14 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,474 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Mmm yeah what happened?! Sounds like an Excel.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#15 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

Sorry mate but that sounds pretty awful.

#16 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yep... Not quite sure, maybe cause it's mild steel instead of stainless, no resonator, (well just the tiny muffler/res in the stock sti system. I'll have a good look over it this weekend anyway, see if anything is loose etc. It is equal length too so no boxer sound that for sure!

#17 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

VTEC KICKED IN YO!

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#18 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Haha much vtec!

#19 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

yeh - stainless will make it buzzier I reckon.

The Suby burble is there primarily because of the UEL 4:2 and 2:1 bits of the pipes..  You removed that.

Still, sounds better than a 2014 F1 :)

#20 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

This is the rest of the system (LHS pipes, laying next to my old 2005 forester exhaust), before I modded it for the outback. Maybe the tiny resonator isn't help much! 

16166846_large.jpg?v=1

16166844_large.jpg?v=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users