• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Donalds

Donalds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hi again guys just wanted to see what you guys think of this situation basically I bought a vy ute a couple of months ago and immediately posted of the transfer papers then about one month I done a deal with the ute and my current wrx. Yesterday I had the guy on the phone to me threatening me with legal action as it turns out the guy I bought the ute from didn't have it in his name so it's preventing the new owner registering it in nsw. Any of you guys experienced this kind of thing
Thanks in advance guys

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

When transferring rego from another state into NSW, you need to do the following in order:

1. Get blue slip - not all mechanics have a blue slip license. It's supposedly much more detailed than a pink slip

2. Get Greenslip - he will need to do this over the phone as it is a state transfer

3. Buy rego - you cannot transfer rego between names when going from state to state. You need to start rego again. Do do this, he will need a detailed receipt of purchase from you (seller) and the above paperwork

I have done this process twice in the last 3 years.

Anything to do with the owner before you should be irrelevant not only because you are the most recent owner (granted you did everything correctly when you bought the ute), but he must commence rego from the beginning. Any other rego still on the car will be forfeited.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

Very hard to understand question.

You bought a ute, and then immediately posted the transfer papers.

And now you have sold(?) your ute and WRX in the one deal.

And the new owner of the ute is complaining that you are not registered as the owner and the guy you bought it off is not registered as the owner(?)

So in effect you sold a ute that you were not the registered owner of, and you bought it off some guy who is not the registered owner?

Morgs is right in what he is saying, you have to start rego from the start when going between states. I've done it between NSW-QLD. You need to provide the new buyer with a Bill of Sale, provided you have the right to sell the vehicle.

#4 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

Can I also mention, full stops and commas go a looooong way.

Your post was incredibly hard to discipher.

Haha ninjered

IM47Gcv.jpg

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

It sounds like the problem was the transfer from 'guy #1' to you. 'guy #1' didn't have it in his name, and so legally couldn't transfer rego to you.

I don't understand why the RMS equivalent in your state has not contacted you about the problem.

Did you get the confirmation of transfer from 'guy #1'  and new rego papers from your state motor authority before you sold the car?

#6 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

As above.

You have 14 days upon taking receipt of a car to transfer it into your name. You can have this extended under certain circumstances however. 

You lodge the paperwork normally in person and are told of the outcome. This is where you pay any liable stamp duty and transfer the registration to your name.

I really think you will be facing legal action if you sold a vehicle that you were not the registered owner of.

More to the point how did you purchase the vehicle (the ute) if the person selling it to you was not the registered owner?

Please provide more details so that we can help you out more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users