#1 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:spending all the coin on the rex

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

hey peeps

so iv got this mate who thinks he can get a Canberra license but live in nsw and have his car registered in nsw. he is addressing his ACT license at one of his relatives.

this is illegal right? like massive fines and shit?  

tried telling him that but said she'll be right :/ 

so yea, just wondering if this is in fact legal and what happens when your caught. 

trying to talk him out of it

cheers

#2 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Police will tell him to get a nsw license as soon as they stop him for rbt etc....

#3 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

Car registration and drivers license aren't related in any way.

I don't know what's involved in changing licenses from one state to another but as long as you're licensed, you can drive.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#4 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Is he on his Ps? Lots of benefits if he can get it... Drive any car, do the speed limit, can do p-off for extra points and no p-plates, and no silly red/green P crap.

#5 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

If it was that easy, wouldn't they all be doing it?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#6 MrSober88

MrSober88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

I know a lot of  ACT peeps have cars registered in NSW by using relatives address, I never really understood why. As that then means you have to go to a place that does NSW rego checks and get it done every year, But if ACT rego you never have to get your car checked again when you renew your rego.

What other reason would he want it? if he is not going to drive a turbo car etc.

#7 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

It's hard to register a car in one state if you have a license from another. But it's possible to have a license from a different state, just keep telling cops it's where you do the majority of your driving.

#8 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

I've never been asked for ID when buying rego

IM47Gcv.jpg

#9 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

Not so much for ID, but you need a drivers license to be able to register a car.

#10 Grahama

Grahama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:28 AM

You don't need a license to register a car - registration is about ownership.
You may need to prove your identification (think 100points system) when transferring registration of a car, but you don't need ID to renew a rego.

You do need a license to drive a car/vehicle on public roads.

You are, by law, supposed to update your license to show your primary place of residence.
Using a fake or relatives address is against the rules(law?) and has the potential to cause grief.

#11 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Maybe it's different interstate, but here in SA the driver license number is the very first question after your name on a vehicle reg form.

#12 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

It is obviously cheaper, but if it was that easy wouldn't everyone be doing it? I know a guy that moved down to Canberra and he transferred over, but he lives there. I don't know what the repurcussions would be but I would assume such indicents wouldn't be taken lightly.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#13 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

I live in Canberra (lol), car is still registered in NSW after 8 years - I have to drive a whopping 20 mins to Queanbeyan (more lols) to get a NSW rego check done - thou there is a few places that can do NSW rego checks too.

I didn't change my license over for 2 years or so (basically till it ran out) and the RTA here didn't care.

I've run up the back of a Honda a few years ago, insurance didn't car - no popo involved.

I've been pulled over a few times for speeding/RBT/WTF is with your car (both with NSW and ACT licenses) and no-one said anything about what state the license was/wasn't in.

Only time it was an issue was when I got defected (well my wife did...) and the 5-0 couldn't work out about the different name the car is registered in (a business name).

So basically, no-one in ACT gives a fork about it.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#14 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

But that's for you, living in Canberra with a NSW licence. I think the topic starter is talking about people living in NSW and obtaining ACT licences in order to adhere to ACT rules and regulations, as they are quite a bit different to NSW laws.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#15 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

I live in NSW with QLD rego and QLD licence.

Bro lived in NSW with QLD rego and NSW licence for 9yrs. The trick he used was to have my sister as the second registered owner, with her address being in QLD.

Cops would tell him to get NSW rego all the time, but he would just cite the fact that the car is co-owned by a QLD resident , so they can't do anything.

Technically you are required to change your licence over to the state you live in after 3 months, UNLESS you travel back to your home state, which I do.

Getting an ACT licence but keeping NSW rego is dumb, he should just swap it all over to ACT.

#16 TittySprinklez

TittySprinklez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:spending all the coin on the rex

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

yea, mates on his red P's and wants all the benefits and turbo and shizz of a act license, i was just curious what happens if he is caught out?

#17 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

yea, mates on his red P's and wants all the benefits and turbo and shizz of a act license, i was just curious what happens if he is caught out?

Tell him to register car in same state as licence, as he'll get pulled over in a turbo car with nsw plates and red p-plates, and cops will hate him.

#18 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

If your licence is from the ACT, you don't need to display your P-plates. Having the car registered in NSW won't matter, as where you obtain the licence and its terms and conditions is what judges whether you have to display them or not.

Having said that, I don't know the consequences nor would I want to find out. Play it safe. It's only one year on your reds. Plus, you can drive turbocharged cars now. The RMS website has a list of what you can and cannot drive.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#19 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

If your licence is from the ACT, you don't need to display your P-plates.

Did not know that.

I know I used to get grief for having p-plates inside car when in NSW, as that's the QLD rules

#20 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Displaying P-plates in your car and out at a time was not against the rules in NSW. I used to do the same thing as many of my P-plates went missing, having them inside saved me from visiting the (then) RTA all the time for replacements. It was only within the last few years that NSW really got anal about it, and it is now disallowed. I believe the consequences are just as severe as not displaying a P-plate at all, although I would think that you would just get a warning the first time and use your head not to do it again.

NSW is the worst when it comes to anything car-related; greenslip, registration, custom plates, insurance, etc. We get shafted.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users