39 replies to this topic

#1 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hey guys today driving down the free way my b4 went kaboom long story short put the Conrod throught the block sooooomy question is

How hard is it to do a wrx conversion I understand the motor goes straight in but how hard an costly is the loom and also I hav a trip tronic auto soooooo.....???

#2 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

http://www.subyclub....rbo-conversion/

Attached Files

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#3 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Shit go brother.

Plain and simple.... the easiest, quickest & cheapest option is to replace the motor with another 206. If you are thinking of a "Half cut"to do this, then you'll have to match the diff & transmission ratios as Aust ratios are 4.11 and Jap ratios are what ever they felt like on the day. Usually 4.44.

As for converting to a WRX motor, a loom splice is 1k alone. It is a great option but not really possible to do on the cheap.  As the Dr said, there will be no change from 5k and that's being optimistic. 

Hybrid motors = more cashola.

I suppose it all comes down to your funds & what's available to buy at this time.  

If it's an option, you should buy back the other B4 and transfer it all onto yours.... manual box etc. 

#4 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

Convert to H6, and plasti-dip it.

#5 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

Have a chat to AM auto, up in qld. I gave him my B4, along with approx 10k and drove away with a version 8 JDM STi spec C engine. All done in approx 2 weeks and I didn't have to touch a tool. Expensive but I didn't have to worry about things, and I knew it would be done right. I now have a real toy that despite the heat at home during summers, is still going strong. I spent 5k on the engine package alone. If you got a cheaper package it would be cheaper than I went, and I did it a few years ago now, prices will have likely come down.
The other thing you can do is sell off the other parts from your old motor, injectors, turbos, etc.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#6 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums
    Anything to do with the Ocean eg. old Maritime history

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

^ this man is onto something ;)

Old Chinese Proverb: Experience should fear the strength of Youth

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#7 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

How keen are you though. It's an old car. You can just pick up another B4 for ~$7k and call it a day if you like. Transfer your good stuff over to it, part the rest out, or burn it.

If mine goes boom, I'll probably just go buy something younger. As much as I like the old girl.

I want the long story  :P highway driving isn't exactly hard on a B4..

#8 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

Nah I've hav done to much an spent to many hrs on it to get rid of it so I'm thinking of looking into a Frankenstein motor 25 block with 20 heads an b4 set up

#9 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

Do you work in the motor trade and have access to a abundance of tools-skills-problem solving-scan tools and a about 20 other mini skill sets ?

If you dont . Dont even think about it .

I don't have any of that shit, and i can have the engine out of my car on the ground in-front of it in less than an hour. Don't be so quick to judge and give the guy a chance.

However, i do agree with you (for once) that Mbooma, just get yourself another 208 and be done with it. If you even want to get away with it cheaper, I would happily put my hand up to help change it over. Unless you have the cash to make it rain with the boys down at Ichiban or Al up at Noosa, just stick to keeping it original. If your still keen on having a B4, sell your AUDM one and keep a keen eye out for a clean JDM RS-K. The factory tunes are more sensible than the AUS delivered B4's and way less problematic. However, along with most things, if they are looked after in their lifetime you have less chance of things getting bent.

As alot of us have seen with the experiences of AUS B4's, they go into workshops where mechanics aren't sure what they're dealing with and thus, bad stuff happens. I even had to rectify a few clueless workshop "fixes" on my GT-B when i first took the keys for it.

If you are going to go down the TT to T path, i stress that you do your research on what is tried and tested. Don't bother trying to re-invent the wheel as SubyDr or whatever his name is (If he even has a name, which I'm sure some of us would like to know) has said. It will end up on the backburner for eternity and worthless. Do it once, do it right.

Jimbo out.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#10 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:07 PM

Nah I've hav done to much an spent to many hrs on it to get rid of it so I'm thinking of looking into a Frankenstein motor 25 block with 20 heads an b4 set up

No. Straight up. Forget it.

#11 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Ive suggested to some of you guys  try and get hold of someone with one and look at the data that is available to you .The Melbourne boys have had Snowball turn up with all his ones so you may need to ask them what they think after been giving a demo.

Most amazing thing ive ever seen

tIeW8DE.png

#12 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

Jimbo

Start gettting issues with your Twin Turbos and then if you dont have the right tools (Ie Select Monitors for starters) you will waste a lot of time and energy trying to find some very simple problems. Which

can be seen straightaway with the right equipment. Subaru dont design and supply certain tools for nothing. Ive suggested to some of you guys  try and get hold of someone with one and look at the data that is available to you .The Melbourne boys have had Snowball turn up with all his ones so you may need to ask them what they think after been giving a demo.

Ive seen guys try and single turbo B4s in the past and Ive yet to see one thats been done with positive results. Ive never seen one of Als cars out of Qld. Although there are a number of us

wondering if the Gramps build would every get  some form of engineers compliance. Im not sure that a Haltech could pass a current emissions test. Although time will tell on that build.

I have my own select monitor, it's called a set of eyes and hands. I have had these Subaru's for more than 8+ years and have never needed such thing.

There are plenty of single turbo B4's on this very forum without problems, many of which I'm personally very familiar with. Seen plenty of cars done by Al across the state also.

Do you really think that everyone modifying Subaru's are that naive? I don't even understand what Gramps has to do with any of this? If your so concerned, why don't you just march on over and slap your own canary sticker on it ffs!

#13 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

WillC's single converted EJ208 hauls arse.  Ryan from Tas also had a good run with his and what about Glen's?

They are are the first 3 I think of and I don't think any of those boys haven't looked back since going single.

#14 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

Nor have I looked back after going single. I live in a place that on occasion sees 50 deg C in the height of summer and I believe not last year but the year before was 45 days straight over 40 deg C. And the single converted B4 is still going strong. It looks almost stock until you start looking. Please don't throw every single converted B4 into the same basket. Yes, you probably only see the dodgy ones if you are working on Subaru's. The good ones generally don't need to be fiddled with.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#15 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:00 AM

Engineering compliance be damned. If I put a factory tune back into it, I'm pretty sure it would pass, as I have the bigger brakes etc. Most people don't bother with that, and it was originally my intentions to get that done once I was finished, so I'm pretty sure mine would pass unless they checked the program on the ecu as I've had it tuned to suit 98 fuel rather than the 100 over in Japan.

#16 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:03 AM

From what im seeing it seems like the ones that working perfectly have been done with half cuts/full rebuilds and shops who know what they're doing, although im not sure about Wills case. 

tIeW8DE.png

#17 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Most amazing thing ive ever seen

+ 100 M

The subaru select is an amazing tool, it shows so much info,

#18 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

Just an update guys I hav gotten in contact with ichiban and SSS auto for prices
Ichiban $1850
SSS $1200

So soon enough i should hav an engine and will need a few sets of hands to help me I will more than likely ripp it down and fully rebuild it new gaskets an belts an pulleys etc so ill keep u all updated with how I go

#19 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:09 AM

Best of luck man, the actual swap side of it is reasonably painless - it took me, and only me, 2 weeks (while still working) to swap it all over. Remember to change out the water pump if you are doing the 100 thou service.

Remember to tighten everything up properly, like coilpack bolts and hose clamps on inlet manifolds, before you try and start it. Also, keep the old items like coilpacks - if one decides to undo the bolt on its own and comes off after hard cornering, you'll fry it before you can even turn the engine off. I've used 2 of my spares now, so its a good idea to keep them.

If you run into dramas with anything, PM me. Its likely I've faced it before.

Cheers,

Ben

#20 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:44 AM

How did this go? Still broken or in the process of being fixed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users