Photo

Bike Racks. EXPERIENCED opinions appreciated!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gradg

gradg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:19 PM

Okay, so when I'm home, I'm out on my bikes wherever possible.

I've recently got myself back in a nice subaru wagon that I'm not too interested in wrecking by getting bikes in and out of the car all the time.

I wouldn't mind roof racks, but I don't have them at the moment and I've had the Thule ProRide's on my Audi A3 and I would probably prefer not to go down that road again, as the roof racks and bike carriers resulted in a crazy whistle I could never pin point.

My interest is swaying toward a towball mounted carrier that clamps the wheels at both ends. Why?

I've got a 29" MTB and the frame clamps don't work too well with where the tyres are sitting on those carriers.

Road bike also. Both carbon frames, would prefer not to be clamping on to the carbon frames.

I'm looking at the Yakima Hold up 2"

http://www.yakima.co...tch/22/Holdup-2

and the Thule 928

http://thule.com.au/...ils.php?p_id=96

and the Thule 932

http://thule.com.au/...ls.php?p_id=603

and 916

http://thule.com.au/...ils.php?p_id=92

Prices aside, with the exception of the 928, which I do like, but I think is quite overpriced - the adjustable wheel mounting IS attractive....

Thoughts form anyone that has gone down this road for carrying bikes?

Cheers!

G

#2 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

I used to use a model from Gripsport. Over-engineered as fork, protected my bumper from a rear ender in my old car and forked up the other guy's car+ radiator, plus they're an australian company with great service and very in touch with the bike community. I'm not sure if they have a specific 29er model but I'm sure they can customise one for you. 

They do clamp on the frame, but I never had to clamp them down so hard that I would be worried about a carbon frame.

#3 Nager

Nager

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Yep Grip Sports is what I use, fantastic setup, fits any bike, and doesn't hurt the bike in any way.

#4 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums
    Anything to do with the Ocean eg. old Maritime history

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

+1 Gripsport
IMG_6313.jpg

Mine is a 3 carrier.

Just line the inside of the crank holders with something soft if you don't wana get the cranks scratched.

Mine was used for DH shuttles; so efficient.

You should have no probs with your 29er.

Old Chinese Proverb: Experience should fear the strength of Youth

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#5 gradg

gradg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:51 PM

they dont look bad at all. to be honest im beginning to get drawn toward the fold up thule unit. looks so easy.

I wont be buying for a few months so thought id put the feelers out to see what people use. ill definitely have a good look at the grip sports when I get onto a computer. cheers fellas!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Fiend v1.2.10.

#6 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:10 PM

they dont look bad at all. to be honest im beginning to get drawn toward the fold up thule unit. looks so easy.

I wont be buying for a few months so thought id put the feelers out to see what people use. ill definitely have a good look at the grip sports when I get onto a computer. cheers fellas!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Fiend v1.2.10.

Also have an older towbar mounted Thule unit. It's great to leave in the car for emergencies but if I was going anywhere extended or driving at highway speeds I'd be a lot more comfortable using the gripsport item. Way more solid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users