• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 denjamin

denjamin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:11 AM

I had a bit of a search but couldn't find anything relating to the issues I'm having (my shitty search skills may be at fault there). Apologies for the lengthy post but I'm just trying to detail everything for you guys in hopes that someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I have 2 issues surrounding the headlights, which are jdm projectors. First issue I only picked up on recently but have a feeling it's been around for a while. The second issue is more closely related to either the projectors themselves or my wiring efforts, at a guess. 

First issue: I replaced the park lights the other week with a new set of LED's. After installing I switched the parkers on and both lit up fine. Decided to switch the head lights on to see what it looked like with everything lit up and I found the passenger side park light had died, drivers side still shining brightly. Turn the head lights off and both park lights lit up again.

I checked all surrounding wiring and it all appears to be fine- nothing loose or burnt out. I threw the multimeter across the terminals in the passenger park light socket and found something of interest. When only the park lights are switched on, I'm getting a normal reading across the terminals. With the headlights (low and high, for that matter) also switched on, I'm no longer getting a reading. I checked the terminals against the negative on the battery and found I'm now getting power across both terminals, hence why the bulb is no longer working. 

Any ideas on what may cause this? Any suggestions on what I can look towards or any further testing I can carry out? I initially assumed this may have been a result of me incorrectly wiring up the projectors. But if that were the case would I not be getting this issue on both sides? As both projector assemblies have been wired up the same. 

Though with that said, that leads me to wonder about the second issue I'm having.

Issue two: When I turn the low beams on, the high beams glow very dull. And the high beam warning light on the dash glows a little. Would I be correct in assuming that this isn't meant to happen? I don't remember whether the low beams glow when high beam has been selected, if that makes a difference. 

I'm not crash hot with following wiring diagrams and chasing electrical faults but if you guys have any ideas on things I can do to check and test then I might stand a chance at fixing this myself. 

Thanks for any help! 

Daily- '94 G2S1 LX shaggin' wagon | 2.2L 5sp manual | deep blue
Project WRECKING- '92 G1S2 LX sedan | 2.2L 4sp auto | white

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

You have a faulty earth in the headlight circuit.

The high beam globes are providing the earth for the low beams. Basically you have your high and low beams wired in series.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 denjamin

denjamin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

Actually that wouldn't surprise me. I do remember when I first picked up the car that both head lights were wired up in quite a dodgy manor- no sockets were left and wires twisted on to the back of the bulb coupled with a terrible taping job that offered little to no protection, looked hideous. 

Thank you for the insight, I'll be checking that out next time I'm under the hood. 

Daily- '94 G2S1 LX shaggin' wagon | 2.2L 5sp manual | deep blue
Project WRECKING- '92 G1S2 LX sedan | 2.2L 4sp auto | white

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gen 2, Jdm projectors, Electrical gremlins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users