#21 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:31 PM

I think my wifes driving style has accelerated the wear

Cheers

So she shifts a lot or she shifts harsh or crunches gears? My liberty b4 with 215,000km doesnt have much shifter play. In neutral the stick wobbles less than 1cm left and right and also 1cm forward and back...looking at the history of my car it spent most of its time on highways...

#22 cliffo3rb

cliffo3rb

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

Was a while ago when i did this but as far as i can remember i went like this.

1.Car up on stands

2.Remove plastic Engine + Trans covers

3.Drop headers (10 x 14mm nuts + 2 x 12mm bolts on flex joint + 2 x 12mm bolts on hangers)

4.Remove Heatshield (4 x 12mm bolts)

5.Support tranny with jack so you can remove both crossmembers (4 x 17mm bolts + 4 x 14mm nuts) This will allow you to shift the tranny to the side so the linkage bolt has enough room to slide out (fouls on the body otherwise)

6.Push reverse lockout yoke up and stick a bolt in there to hold it up so you can remove the pin and cable.

7.Unbolt the front stay,this should give you access to the linkage.Remove the bolt and replace the four bushes.

8.Do everything in reverse making sure the reverse lockout cable is clear of the tailshaft.

9.Enjoy smooth and precise shifts again.

I found it to be the easiest way as i couldn't get the rollpin for the linkage out.Should take you around 2 hours with the right tools.

Hope this helps

Cliffo

#23 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

For anyone here keen, ill have a complete specB 6speed linkage kit forsale, feels nice and tight. Pm me

freeway.jpeg 

#24 Russell85

Russell85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

$85 at trade through me for the knuckle.

Will check the other bushes and stuff tomorrow.

Gary, likewise. May be something that could help..

So the knuckle is a straight swap? is it also worth doing the other bushes at the same time?

#25 Russell85

Russell85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

So she shifts a lot or she shifts harsh or crunches gears? My liberty b4 with 215,000km doesnt have much shifter play. In neutral the stick wobbles less than 1cm left and right and also 1cm forward and back...looking at the history of my car it spent most of its time on highways...

She gets in and always wriggles the stick, to find neutral, she goes to the centre and wiggles all the left and right a few times just to make sure. im alsways blowing up at her for it. my brother showed her how to drive manual and he has a bad habit of it. i tried to teach her but come close to divorce, so now my box is showing the signs of her style....

#26 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

The last sentence made me laugh, ha ha.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#27 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

She gets in and always wriggles the stick, to find neutral, she goes to the centre and wiggles all the left and right a few times just to make sure. im alsways blowing up at her for it. my brother showed her how to drive manual and he has a bad habit of it. i tried to teach her but come close to divorce, so now my box is showing the signs of her style....

meh - I do that, too.

Bushes should be able to handle it. They tend to fail when they get contaminated (oil, road grime, etc) and chewed out.

Maybe get her to change the knuckle, then she'll change her behavior :)

#28 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

I dont even wriggle the stick...I tend to push the stick right..

Why right? Because I believe it will balance out the wear as a gearbox spends most of its time being pushed left around gears 1 and 2...

I recall some cars I drove in the past felt like less effort was required to shift to 1st or 2nd compared to 5th.

#29 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

This is not the real problem, is it?

If you are set on blaming your missus for your gear shifts play with no consideration of wear and tear, then there are obviously other issues in you relationshit you may need to address first.

Hope this helps

:D

#30 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

I do this constantly and none of my manual cars have ever had issues. I've usually only replaced the bushes/mounts/linkages because I'm a picky wanker that wants everything feeling stupidly tight.

Replace the linkage and upgrade some other things while you are doing it. No need to get all divorce like :P

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#31 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

Are 5 speed and 6 speed knuckles the same?

I bought a set of genuine bushes, plus some spares and if they are the same I'll rebuild the 5 speed one first and swap it over later.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#32 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

Yep I always wiggle to make sure it's in neutral. Rather wear out bushes than lurch into a trailer. My shifter isn't a snappy 6 speed feel or anything but it doesn't hang like a wizards sleeve either so I Cbf changing mine

tIeW8DE.png

#33 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

I forgot to mention, mine is automatic. I just have a bit of play on the stick itself. I assume it's a little different to manual?

Gaz you need a MAN Trans !!

#34 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:22 PM

It honestly doesn't phase me man. I can drive either one. The automatic transmission runs perfectly.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users