9 replies to this topic

#1 nova

nova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hey guys :)

My car has given me a puff of smoke (slightly blue) on start up occasionally. It's only ever on the first time I start the car that day (cold start), but it doesn't seem to be affected by the temperature outside. Some days it will happen, some days it won't. It's happened perhaps 3 times in the past month. By the time I start up the car and hop outside its stopped coming out the tail pipe already.

I can't figure out what's causing it. From what I've read, blue smoke = burning oil. And can be caused by internal engine wear like bad rings? The car just ticked over 130,000km and I know it hasn't ever been thrashed. Could it be the use of the wrong oil? On start up once I saw a CEL light up for 5-10 seconds and then it went away. Haven't had it read since it didn't stay on and I haven't seen it since.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

Do you happen to keep the car parked on an angle at all overnight? It's not unusual for them to get a bit of oil seep through into the bores which will burn up when you start in the morning. I used to get it all the time with my old Legacy, mostly because it had aftermarket forged pistons which had tolerances comparable to the Rimmel London girl's front tooth gap.

Best thing to do is to keep an eye on your oil levels. If your super paranoid, get a compression test done.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

Could be stem seals too, mine are in need of some attention, and if I leave her sitting for a week or so and then start it, I get a little cloud. But only on start up. My oil levels are still great. How long do you leave it between starts?

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#4 nova

nova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:38 PM

Do you happen to keep the car parked on an angle at all overnight? It's not unusual for them to get a bit of oil seep through into the bores which will burn up when you start in the morning. I used to get it all the time with my old Legacy, mostly because it had aftermarket forged pistons which had tolerances comparable to the Rimmel London girl's front tooth gap.

Best thing to do is to keep an eye on your oil levels. If your super paranoid, get a compression test done.

Hahahah dat tooth gap. But yeah I do leave it parked on an angle quite often actually. The worst time it happened, from memory it was parked on my driveway which is very steep. Oil levels still seem good. 5000km since the last change and judging by the dipstick it hasn't moved much at all. 

Could be stem seals too, mine are in need of some attention, and if I leave her sitting for a week or so and then start it, I get a little cloud. But only on start up. My oil levels are still great. How long do you leave it between starts?

I hope its not stem seals :/ But I drive it daily.. probably leave it like 12-18 hours between starts if I was to guess. 

I find it strange that it only happens occasionally and not every time I start it though

#5 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

Yea, if it was stem seals I reckon it would be worse after a few days, especially if you're getting it after that short a period. More than likely just parking it on the angle. The intermittent side of it means its probably unlikely to be stem seals. But take it to a trusted mechanic and get a diagnosis there. Might need to leave it with him overnight for him to start it in the morning.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#6 Rallyeee

Rallyeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Sounds like turbo to me. This is why Garrett recommend 15 degree maximum for the mounting angle or oil sits up against the seals when it's parked. It's easier for oil to leak past cold seals. Combination of very steep parking angle and old, worn turbo seals could do it.

#7 nova

nova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:19 PM

i wish it was the turbo :( haha its only an N/A 

hasn't happened again since I made the post so yeah. really weird

#8 Rallyeee

Rallyeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

Nah I'm pretty sure it's the turbo.

#9 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

lol Chris.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#10 nova

nova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:44 AM

was changing my spark plugs the other day and there was lots of oil over the boot. cleaned it off and hasnt happened since, going to change the spark plug seals some time soon. not nearly as bad as stem seals luckily haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users