• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

I'm having an issue with the brakes on my 01 B4. It is quite hard to describe and I haven't figured out a sure fire way of making it display the problem but I'll give it my best shot.

The most obvious issue is very noticable, but occasional pulsing in the pedal. I know your first thought would be warped rotors, and this could be the case but I have had my fair share of warped rotors in the past and this doesn't feel quite like any of them. For example, the brakes also have a slight wobble when braking at about 110km/h or so which is what I recognise more so as warped rotor issues.

This is what John French said it was a few weeks ago when I took it in too so they ground the rear rotors, cleaned the hubs and re-seated them and regreased the slide pins in the calipers. Problem hasn't gone away at all.

The second symptom worth noting is that it feels like when the brakes are pressed the pedal goes tight at a certain point, but then depending on the pressure (all still within normal braking pressures) the pedal goes past this point and then finally feels normal and the brakes can be applied with enough force necessary to stop.

One situation that does seem to bring out the pulsating in the pedal quite badly is applying minimal to moderate constant pressure when coasting down a prolonged hill. All still at around 60km/h. 

Other times I will be braking at lights and be almost at a stop and I'll feel a few faint pulses just before coming to a stop.

As you can see it is hard to describe, but definitely happens every day within my drive to work. My brother also felt it within 10 minutes of taking it for a drive so I'm not going out of my mind. Even though this is the feeling I got from the guy at John French when I just called up to ask them to take another look. He's trying to say it is the ABS and I'm braking hard everywhere...

Any help would be appreciated. The car does have DBA slotted rotors fitted, but otherwise standard brakes. Also of note is that the brake fluid level hasn't gone down at all.

#2 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

nackered ABS sensor or ABS unit ? any error codes for the ABS unit ? how about the vacuum booooster ? might be a change in pressure being applied if there is a small leak some place ? but I don't know much about how they work (Jase, any input ?)

Thinking about it, wait for 'hoon to read this and comment

Stuff goes here

#3 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Im on my phone so Ill comment when I have

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

......a computer.

What Richo says is good starting point, check for any ABS codes.

Are the wheels correctly? Wheel balance issues often occur at 60 and 100kph.

#5 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the quick responses.

The car did have an alignment earlier this year. Not sure if they balanced the wheels too. I'll check to see if it looks like any weights have fallen off. Maybe get the wheel place up the road to check them all tomorrow.

I'll check for codes too.

#6 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

Have you checked the wheel bearings??

MY07 GT spec B

#7 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Have you checked the wheel bearings??

How would this be checked? Check for free play in the wheels?

#8 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

One situation that does seem to bring out the pulsating in the pedal quite badly is applying minimal to moderate constant pressure when coasting down a prolonged hill. All still at around 60km/h.

Is it modulated by brake temperature - ie: gets worse as the brakes heat up? Could be contamination of the discs.. the warped rotor syndrome, though grinding them should have addressed that. I had an old set of front discs that had this something horrid. By the bottom of Mt Ousley my steering wheel would be shaking.

I would have thought problems like premature ABS activation due to dud sensors would be more obvious and severe pulsing - easy to check that by pulling the ABS fuse.

#9 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:11 PM

How bad are the front discs? Did they get checked at the same time the rears were done? They may be new, but get them checked, as well as previously mentioned, wheel bearings. Sounds like something is either out of square to the calliper or a small notch on the front slide pins.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#10 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

Ok. So, no codes (I think, the engine light just flashed repeatedly once the connectors were shorted).

I'll check the wheel play and pull the ABS fuse for my trip to work now.

#11 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

Pretty sure this is front disks as I have similar issues. Do you do a lot of slow speed/start stop driving?

#12 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

Front discs or bearing I'll guess.

#13 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

Pretty sure this is front disks as I have similar issues. Do you do a lot of slow speed/start stop driving?

Not really. 15 minutes to and from work each day in free flowing traffic. Highway driving every weekend or two.

Had a good wrench on the front wheels and couldn't feel any free play.

However, after doing the trip without the ABS solenoid fuse I'm 80% sure that the problem of the unusual pedal resistance is not there. I'll be doing a bit more driving tonight so that should confirm this or not.

Thanks for the continued suggestions.

#14 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

This is why I asked about any ABS related codes

http://www.bimmerfes...01&postcount=48

Stuff goes here

#15 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

This is why I asked about any ABS related codes

http://www.bimmerfes...01&postcount=48

Thanks. Yeah, I mentioned a few posts up that there were no codes. Or at least I thought that's what the CEL simply flashing continuously once the connectors were shorted meant. Maybe I should have another look and make sure it isn't one of the codes below 10.

I haven't had any warning lights though.

#16 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Ive read it could be uneven brake pad material on the rotors...apparently there are special abrasive brake pads that you can use only when cold...then swap normal pads back in...

I also have a faint pulsing when braking from 40 to 0kph.

However I just picked up my car with new steering rack bushings, steerimg rack was moving a few mm as I turned left or right...

Ill see how the car drives over the next few days before going for another alignment, wheel balance, etc. Im also going to find a stretch of road at night and try to bed the pads in again...

#17 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

Another thing is brake dust forms on my wheels quick I dont know what pads the previous owner installed early last year...

And I believe I have dba slotted rotors, which were installed something like 80,000km ago..

#18 jonesyGT

jonesyGT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

Have you checked rear discs?
Don't rule them out. I'd make sure they don't have uneven wear on them as well. Also check all pads & swap left to right to see if that eliminates anything. Front end first then rear.

#19 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

Personally I think swapping pads left to right is a bad idea. Each pad has its own wear pattern to the disc.

#20 Camb4

Camb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

Replacement ABS controller going in today. Will post with the results later today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users