←  Electrical/Electronics

Suby Club

»

Need help. 'STOP' fuse keeps blowing

lemon's Photo lemon 10 Nov 2014

So yesterday someone brought to my attention that my brake lights weren't working, I had assumed it would of been the fuse after having a look I was correct.
I replaced the fuse and as soon as I touched the brake pedal it blew again. As I have the Legacy garnish I've got the rear Foglights also running as brake lights. I've gone over the wiring quickly and replaced everything to cover any possible exposed wires. The fuse still keeps blowing.
Any ideas?

aekOne's Photo aekOne 10 Nov 2014

have you added LED's anywhere in the mix?

have you added LED's anywhere in the mix?

Not anywhere near the brake lights.
Only in the cluster and AC controls.

Problem solved. Had to unplug my right hand reverse light, which means I only have one reverse light but it's better than having no brake lights.

Guest_KONG_* 10 Nov 2014

That doesn't sound like a solution to me.  Sounds like a temp bush fix.

But.... what ever.  I'm sure you'll find the short now you know what you're looking for.

Liberty's Photo Liberty 10 Nov 2014

Could it be that your right-hand reverse light is the issue causing the short? I'm no electrician but if, by removing the reverse light, the other lights work then surely it's gotta be where the problem stems from.

Guest_KONG_* 10 Nov 2014

Could it be that your right-hand reverse light is the issue causing the short? I'm no electrician but if, by removing the reverse light, the other lights work then surely it's gotta be where the problem stems from.

Nope.

Definitely head gasket.

:P

Liberty's Photo Liberty 10 Nov 2014

Ha ha ha.

WALKER's Photo WALKER 10 Nov 2014

Nope.

Definitely head gasket.

:P

Lol stop fooling around.
Check the flux capacitor. While you're there change the blinker fluid and add some race formula from repco.

Attached File  2014-11-10 23.12.12.jpg   134.76KB   3 downloads

Back to topic..
Does the fuse blow if you remove extra globes you've wired in?

Guest_KONG_* 11 Nov 2014

Forgive me as I get confused easily.

I'm curious as to why removing the reverse bulb stops the fuse blowing.
What's the inside of the socket like? Corrosion?

Did you wire up the garnish?
Where did you take power from?

Maybe someone here can help or explain.

I have tail & brake lights on mine. If you want I can take a few pics this arvo so you can compare.

lemon's Photo lemon 10 Dec 2014

Forgive me as I get confused easily.

I'm curious as to why removing the reverse bulb stops the fuse blowing.
What's the inside of the socket like? Corrosion?

Did you wire up the garnish?
Where did you take power from?

Maybe someone here can help or explain.

I have tail & brake lights on mine. If you want I can take a few pics this arvo so you can compare.

Sorry, I've just now seen this. Yeah that would be handy, I honestly have no idea as to why I can only run one reverse light. A mate of mine wired it up, obviously it's not been done correctly a photo of yours would be hugely appreciated!
Cheers