10 replies to this topic

#1 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hey guys and gals.

what do you think about this head unit I am thinking about purchasing to use in the b4, just bought a 120gb ipod classic and wanted to have it sitting in my glove box so i can access all my music (round 50 gb worth.

I know scrolling through a friends ipod on his head unit took forever due to a poor scroll wheel and the headunit taking ages to think. But i read a couple reviews on this alpine product at it looks like they have greatly improved the interface on this model.

http://www.alpine.co...asp?modelID=408

Its a newish (2009 model i think)

iDA-X305
Digital Media Receiver

Posted Image

Obviously im going to have to look at replacing the b4 Amplifer, but ive read they can work with aftermarket headunits fine but others can have some issues.

So, can anyone else add to this, Ive seen some pretty awesome setups before, but none spring to mind concerning pre-existing B4 electronics.

Cheers Rhys

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#2 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

no play cds?

thats the reason i didnt get the first model that come out.

I got a clarion DX2776USB (what it says on the head unit) about 2years ago, while i dont use an ipod but a USB drive it is really simple and fairly quick to find the right music, im sure an ipod conected to USB would be the same, also has 6v pre-outs.

IMO if i was upgrading head units i'd go somthing like this http://clarion.com/a...2419833216.html

Being a touch screen would make browsing through music even easier but thats just what i think :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#3 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Alpine HU's are pretty good. I had one in mine before I installed the double DIN Pioneer unit. The interface was a bit crap on mine, it was one of the first models with the interface and it took ages to find what you were looking for unles you had playlists setup. Otherwise, the sound was good and the speed of the ipod connection was good. You can also get double din HU's with an interface that suit the interior much better than a single din (well IMO anyway) You can probably get away with using the OEM amp and speakers by simply getting an adapter plug for the existing plug that goes into the back of your McIntosh system. I've done this on mine so that I didn't need to chop any wires and it's easy to convert back to stock. Currently my OEM speaker wires are just sitting around doing nothing as I have added extra wires from the amp back to the speakers... Just comes down to what sort of sound and volumes you are chasing as to whether you want to get a new amp and re wire it all...

#4 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

Double DIN Rhys. It's the only way to go.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#5 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

Double DIN Rhys. It's the only way to go.

another reason for a dvd touch screen :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#6 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

edfc controller is going to take up more then half of the last din pocket remaining though, then where can i put the nos missile switch... :( booked in at john french for the remaining goodies to be fitted on 22nd wed :) I cant really justify spending in the 800 dollar range for a headunit, i mean yeah. you gotta spend big to get something decent.. but id rather put that money towards that sexy fmic or intake mods.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#7 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

What remaining goodies? Don't you want to do the EDFC yourself?
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#8 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hey guys and gals.

what do you think about this head unit I am thinking about purchasing to use in the b4, just bought a 120gb ipod classic and wanted to have it sitting in my glove box so i can access all my music (round 50 gb worth.

I know scrolling through a friends ipod on his head unit took forever due to a poor scroll wheel and the headunit taking ages to think. But i read a couple reviews on this alpine product at it looks like they have greatly improved the interface on this model.

http://www.alpine.co...asp?modelID=408

Its a newish (2009 model i think)

iDA-X305
Digital Media Receiver

Posted Image

Obviously im going to have to look at replacing the b4 Amplifer, but ive read they can work with aftermarket headunits fine but others can have some issues.

So, can anyone else add to this, Ive seen some pretty awesome setups before, but none spring to mind concerning pre-existing B4 electronics.

Cheers Rhys

if you have an ipod and live on your ipod and are just obsessed with your ipod then its great, if your not a ipod person then about 90% of its features are useless.

looks real nice though when installed, have seen a few cars with it and its very sexy.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#9 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

They do look good installed, although the blue illumination is very bright at night, even if connected to the dimmer. It took me quite some time to get used to. Just remembered then and thought you'd like to know!

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

screen is too small for pr0n. doubledin touchscreen dvd player. if you're hardcore, you'll go a pioneer with six indash dvd stacker. six different flavours of pr0n. yeeehaaa but you don't have a wagon. oh well. boring singleDIN for you.

#11 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

screen is too small for pr0n.

doubledin touchscreen dvd player. if you're hardcore, you'll go a pioneer with six indash dvd stacker.

six different flavours of pr0n.

yeeehaaa

but you don't have a wagon.

oh well.

boring singleDIN for you.

LMAO!!!! no pron for rhysie... :(

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users