1 reply to this topic

#1 claire6

claire6

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

My engine has died in my02 b4 can i use a gc8 wrx or forester bottom end on my02 liberty b4?auto/maual jap import engines same will they bolt upto my auto?thanks in advance.

#2 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:33 AM

If using just the bottom end there shouldnt be too many dramas with using another one, providing you match the compression ratios. Matching up blocks is usually the safest way to make sure the tuning is correct for your block (there are differences between them, you'll kill an N/A block faster than you can say boo if you do nothing to it before putting it in). If its a manual B4, you'll want to find an EJ208, and if auto, you want an EJ206. Jap import engines will be the same, provided you get a legacy one of similar year (Gen 3 turbo is what you want).

That being said, any EJ motor will bolt up to your box. Same as you should be able to get away with using any motor out of a turbo model without too many dramas. But the safest way will be to get one that matches numbers.

I'm sure others will say similar things.

Hopefully it hasnt hurt too much to loose the engine in your car. It was painful for me, but I also had a second car to get around with until I could afford to fix it. I'm guessing it knocks like crazy (done a bearing)?

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users