17 replies to this topic

#1 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

Hi guys,

I've got a mysterious electrical fault which happened for the 3rd time, just last night.

When I have 4-5 people on board my car, the OPEN DOOR bulb illuminates on the dash despite all the doors/boot is closed. Obviously this means the interior dome light also turns on and everybody starts checking their doors and freaking out.

The first time it happened, it turned on about 10-minutes into a trip back from the RSL with 4-friends + myself in the car. The second time it came on was about 5-minutes after picking up my parents and their friends (4) one night. And last night it came on when my dad was giving my friends and I a lift to the pub last night, this time with only 4-people on board instead of 5.

Whats going on?? One thing these occurrences have in common is it is at night time. And its only happened after I had projectors installed on my car. Or have those ants that invaded my car gotten into the wiring and caused havoc?

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

dude that is strange. hope you get it sorted asap

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

Just pop the door switches out and have a quick look for any potential problems. Otherwise get some slimmer friends because when they are all in the car together the car must be bulging at the seams, the doors cant take the strain and are pushing out so far that the switches think the doors are open. :lol:
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#4 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

Haha yeh maybe :lol: I buckled all the seatbelts and drove it around to see if there was a link to the seatbelts that was causing the light to come on but nothing happened. So it might be a weight thing when the car is under load. Probably get my sparky to have a look at it when I next see him to have some other stuff done on my car. Just thought I'd ask around and see if its a common problem...obviously no it isn't :P

#5 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

Weird indeed... Might be a long shot, but would the added weight of 4-5 people cause some kind of weird flex in the chassis or around the doors that is causing one of the buttons that controls the courtesy light/door ajar light to pop out? Does your door ajar light indicate which door is open?

#6 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

find it which door it is, my boot used to do the same but then it magically stopped :D

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#7 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

Weird indeed... Might be a long shot, but would the added weight of 4-5 people cause some kind of weird flex in the chassis or around the doors that is causing one of the buttons that controls the courtesy light/door ajar light to pop out? Does your door ajar light indicate which door is open?

Might possibly be it. I checked the buttons but they all seem allrite.

My dash cluster only has a general light to say a door is open. Doesn't indicate which door like some cars do.

#8 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:36 PM

BUMP! The problem in this thread fixed itself. But over the past few days, the OPEN DOOR light has been illuminated 24/7, regardless of if the engine is on or off. I've now got a flat battery...not sure if its related, but I think it is. My sparky said he's dealt with similar problems and its taken him up to a day to located the problem. I want to try avoid hiring the guy for a day and clocking up huge dollars over this... What the hell could be causing it?! And yes, I closed all the doors and boot :P

#9 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

Shut all the doors and then disconnect each door sensor switch? Whatever one is causeing it once disconnected should turn the light of?

#10 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

i know uni mark (aurelius) has had his boot re-wired to activate the door ajar light when it is open, as a side affect of this the boot light turns on when any door is open.. we found this while working on the car... this is not the standard practice for AUDM wiring in a gen2 series2 so maybe there is something there, check the boot light is not on, maybe something has gone astray in a homejob wiring install. get in car drop back seat and check if the light is on, if it is just diconnect the light for now and check the boot light switch.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#11 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

My sparky said he's dealt with similar problems and its taken him up to a day to located the problem. I want to try avoid hiring the guy for a day and clocking up huge dollars over this...

Depending on how well you know him, ask him whats been wrong with the ones he's fixed... then check it yourself.

#12 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

Put a switch on the light :P Mark (Scuba-roo) and i know that switches fix everything ;)

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#13 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

Thanks lads, I'm going to try some of these now as I just got back home. Ty - BOTH my rear seats no longer fold because that tiny little tab to pull the seats down has torn :dash2:

#14 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

Shiv, Are both the dash light and the interior lights on when its faulty? Does the interior light (when normal) fade out or turn off when the door is shut? First thing I would do is remove all the door switches and see if it turns off. Once there all out, wiggle each door wire to see if any have a short to ground. Also remove the interior lamp and see of anything could be causing a short to ground inside the interior lamp.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#15 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

as frank says stop getting fat people in the car whilst you're fanging it. probably fat people playing corners in your back seat. mine does it once in a blue moon. i start driving civil again, problem solved for me.

#16 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:36 PM

My money would be looking at all the door switches and make sure the wire has not come off one and is touching earth as this is what turns the lights on, it's an earth switched circuit. Simple to look at, therefore simple to eliminate if it's not that :-) Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#17 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:49 AM

Put a switch on the light :P

Mark (Scuba-roo) and i know that switches fix everything ;)

Hahahahaha!

Put a switch on the light :P

Mark (Scuba-roo) and i know that switches fix everything ;)

Hahahahaha!

#18 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

This morning, 6:30am, my car alarm goes off. At first I didn't know it was my car because the indicators weren't flashing and the alarm was at half the volume of normal.

Anyway, the battery was flat again. What I've done is unplug the boot light because I suspect that if it thinks the door is open, the boot light comes on, hence that was constantly on (i think). I'd like to check that by getting in the cabin and folding the rear seats down and looking into the boot but I can't because the seats are stuck and won't fold anymore.

Shiv,
Are both the dash light and the interior lights on when its faulty?
Does the interior light (when normal) fade out or turn off when the door is shut?

First thing I would do is remove all the door switches and see if it turns off. Once there all out, wiggle each door wire to see if any have a short to ground.
Also remove the interior lamp and see of anything could be causing a short to ground inside the interior lamp.

Yup, both the dash and interior lights are on no matter what. Obviously, I've turned the interior light off.

She's going to an auto elec now. Hopefully solve the problem...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users